BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Have we got our Rovers back?

what has that got to do with this thread other than being a negative propaganda plant dredging up the past? we know what`s gone before and are now concentrating on what happens moving forward, and at the moment, things seem to be massively improving.

It's amazing what one away draw can do.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a very mediocre team indeed compared to the one that played in 93/94 or lifted the title in 94/5. That's the one I'd like back as well as a 42 year old Dalglish as manager but football is cyclical and nothing lasts for ever.

Ap.

It's a brilliant team compared to the one we have now... and it would have been good enough to finish top 10 in the PL with the right man in charge. Comparisons with 20 years ago when the club was in a completely different situation are daft.

Absurd.

1) In a way I understand the appeal of plugging your ears and closing your eyes and dancing around in a circle singing 'Lalala' mindlessly giving your support regardless of what's going on, so that you can at least find some peace and enjoyment in the game - looks like many are taking that option. But I for one have too much respect for the proud history of this club and the legacy of Uncle Jack to enable in any way shape or form Venkys and their direction for the club. As long as Venkys are on board, this club will continue to be a laughing stock and a sham of its former self. I find it sad that some have so little respect for this club to be satisfied with the current situation and be making topics about how "we've got our Rovers back."

2) All this is mute because when we get tonked 4-0 next week by Bradford or Colchester or whoever is in the Championship this season, the "good feeling" from taking a point from Derby County will quickly disappear.

In many ways, to return to the title of the thread, we have got our Rovers back - sadly it's the Rovers of the late 1960's and early 1970's rather than the Jack Walker or Walker Trust era.

Given Jack died 14 years ago and the Trust put us up for sale 5 or 6 years ago (not giving a toss who they sold to), personally I didn't think it very likely we'd get the Rovers of Jack or the Trust era back.

Is it the fate of fans of every relegated club to keep boohoo-ing about how they miss wacthing Lamps strolling about the middle of the pitch? If so, the Championship is turning into a league full of foot-stamping depressives.

Given Jack died 14 years ago and the Trust put us up for sale 5 or 6 years ago (not giving a toss who they sold to), personally I didn't think it very likely we'd get the Rovers of Jack or the Trust era back.

Is it the fate of fans of every relegated club to keep boohoo-ing about how they miss wacthing Lamps strolling about the middle of the pitch? If so, the Championship is turning into a league full of foot-stamping depressives.

You are quite right - the quality of the football in the Championship is depressingly dire!

Largely thats down to trust. I dont trust Venkys. I dont trust their motives, I dont trust their means.

It will always be about, Venkys. Their global interests and exposure, not about the Clubs history and culture, or sporting success and certainly not about the supporters.

Completley agree with you. From the start it has been what Rovers can do for Venky's and not the other way around (as it should be). When the witch herself stated that they were very excited about what Rovers could do for the Venky's brand around the world something was clearly wrong.

You are quite right - the quality of the football in the Championship is depressingly dire!

i could watch a park game and thoroughly enjoy it, and the championship is a good deal better than that. in fact, i`d say the top-half championship standard is as good as the bottom half of the prem, much of a muchness.

Makes one wonder how we stood it during the Quigley, Furphy, Lee, Smith, Kendall, Saxton and McKay eras. Or maybe those weren't "Our Rovers" either.

I'm totally with you EiT, none of us can be happy with what has transpired under Venky's tenure, particularly on the back of living the dream thanks solely to one man.

That said, time moves on and as a line in the epitaph poem to Jack Walker said

'I think it's fair to say it's better once than never'

As I've repeatedly said of late, we are where we are, I'm certainly not ecstatic about it but it's reality and would undoubtedly have happened at some point under Walker Trust anyway.

We wouldn't have had the circus for 2 years nor would we have been raped and pillaged as a club but we would have been relegated.

My sole point really was not based on a draw against Derby but on the positives of the close season in general where we almost feel like a normal club again, one that I can get behind and support as I've done since 1967. Perhaps the Raos have learned, only time will tell. I certainly haven't felt any positivity at all for 2 and a half years, who could other than he that shall not be named?!

Unfortunately we're stuck with Venkys because without their financial support and backing, I fear we would have nothing to either support or pontificate over. Admittedly most is of their own making but I suspect there are also some legacies of the previous regime as well.

Ultimately for me, I'm a Rovers fan, Jack Walker provided a dream beyond wildest dreams but before I didn't support Keighley, Bancroft etc nor did I or do Venkys.

I'm just looking forward to enjoying my football again which is the first time I've thought that way for almost 3 years.

Absurd.

1) In a way I understand the appeal of plugging your ears and closing your eyes and dancing around in a circle singing 'Lalala' mindlessly giving your support regardless of what's going on, so that you can at least find some peace and enjoyment in the game - looks like many are taking that option. But I for one have too much respect for the proud history of this club and the legacy of Uncle Jack to enable in any way shape or form Venkys and their direction for the club. As long as Venkys are on board, this club will continue to be a laughing stock and a sham of its former self. I find it sad that some have so little respect for this club to be satisfied with the current situation and be making topics about how "we've got our Rovers back."

2) All this is mute because when we get tonked 4-0 next week by Bradford or Colchester or whoever is in the Championship this season, the "good feeling" from taking a point from Derby County will quickly disappear.

Or maybe folk have realised that no matter how good a history Rovers have, we are stuck with what we have now. They have decided to support the club in good times and the bad - because that is who they are. They are Rovers supporters, no matter the situation the club is in.

It does not mean they are happy with what venkys etc have done. It does not make them venky supporters (that will never happen) Maybe folk have just said this is the club I support and no bad owner / management is going to stop that. This is the situation and we make the most of what we have and hope for better times.

There are still folk on here who will remember times before Jack Walker - when success was only hoped for. May or not have a good cup run. May or may not get promoted. flurted with relegation at times. Expectations were a lot lower. Yet they still suported Rovers.

Many folk on here only recall the Jack Walker times and up to the present day - so have no memory of the clubs past struggles. A club is always bigger than the folk who own or run it. A genuine supporter supports their club no matter what the situation is.

The good times will one day return for the club and its supporters. Till then we continue to support and hope for that day.

Makes one wonder how we stood it during the Quigley, Furphy, Lee, Smith, Kendall, Saxton and McKay eras. Or maybe those weren't "Our Rovers" either.

It was a totally different game in those days EiT as well you know. But, as one who appreciates history, you will know that last night's debacle at Carlisle is further evidence that we have got "Our Rovers" back. We were always hopeless in the 'League Cup' - defeats to Rochdale, Notts County, Workington, Swindon etc. readily spring to mind. I would take the teams that Quigley had over what was on view last night any day of the week, including Jim Fryatt and John Coddington!

You sound pleased John.

This was not our first choice 11 and we lost away from home on penalties. We have far less to be embarrassed about than some.

Not pleased at all, was quite annoyed at the result.

You sound pleased John.

This was not our first choice 11 and we lost away from home on penalties. We have far less to be embarrassed about than some.

Who cares about other clubs? We are out of a cup and that's very disappointing.

Ok get over it....honestly think your a troll

^^^^^^^^^^^ That's modern 'sky fed' football fans for you. No ambition. They'd rather lose and get knocked out of the cup so the club can concentrate on 11th or 12th place in the league . All that is wrong with many football fans.

And to think I'll get castigated by "the idiots" for wanting to win every game??????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Irony B&W - check last night's result ;):mellow:

Whoops ;)

Wanting to win and getting a win every game there is a big difference like i sed go glory hunt you will be better suited

Simpleton. Do you see what you've done? You called "me" a troll (just because I'm not a surrender monkey who likes losing and resting players fresh from a nice summer for nothing) and then troll me in two topics with hackneyed 'go be a glory hunter' mindless drivel diatribe

Who cares about other clubs? We are out of a cup and that's very disappointing.

I remember us being dumped out of the Yoofa cup by Trollybus and the whole country laughing at us.

Suck it up. Worse things happen at sea and it's part of being a football fan. By recent standards this close season offers some glimmer of hope. The sackcloth and ashes mob who are all over this thread since last night are even dafter than those who lost the plot because we got a last minute equaliser at Derby.

Archived