BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Have we got our Rovers back?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought.

Who's the "proper fan"? The fan who attends whatever damage is being done to the club, - or the fan who is so very, very hurt because of the unnecessary demolition to the club. So hurt that he/she can't have anything to do with these people?

I'll go for option a).

Is there a prize?

To be fair, until Best scuffed in that late equaliser the match thread on here yesterday was all doom and gloom and 'if Lowe is a professional footballer then I'm a champion sheepdog.'

I was going to give this forum the swerve for a few days until Best 'scuffed' that one in. The miserablists would have had a field day and completely disregarded a spirited, fighting performance from a young team.

Way too early to get carried away and I'm not sure that we've 'got our Rovers back' but I do know that teams that 'scuff' last minute equalisers generally do pretty well.

Completely agree...far too early to say if we're back but I will say this...55% possession and 20 shots at goal in a hardworking performance away from home against a decent Derby team is a bloody good start!!!

I have said for months that I cannot go and watch bloated, over paid, overrated has beens strut around a pitch with not a care in the world whilst I sit in the stands on the verge of coronary every game!!

The aforementioned persons are gone/going and the new players are hungry and hard working with big points to prove and ambitions of breaking into the PL...on paper they might not be the prestige signings that some crave with renowned quality but IMO they are exactly what we need to balance the egos..

If Bests goal didn't alert every Rovers fan to the shear class that the squad still has then it never will. That is as good a finish technically as you will see this season.

Far to early to say. With our fickle owners - anything can happen when we least expect it.

But the match v derby was a very good start. The players were up for it. Even if Rovers had lost, I would have applauded the effort they put in. Especially when compared to last season when it appeared lot of the players did not give a dam - sunday was a welcomed change.

There was though the dodgy part when Rochina got injured - players did not know how to respond at first. But did settle down again.

It is a young side who are bound to have shaky times - but overall a good start to the season.

No, we haven't got our Rovers back and while Venkys continue to own us we never will.

More common sense these days-----losing a fortune every week tends to do that but so much still wrong.

Shebby's gone, Agnew's gone so is Shaw running the Club on his own? Not an inspiring thought! Where's the new super-administrator we were promised months ago?

Is Karen Silk still working out her notice?

Have we got a worldwide network of scouts again?

These questions and others point to a "seat of the pants, winging it" mentality which has characterised Venkyworld from the beginning.

We are always a heartbeat away from the next disaster with this mob. When we are widely considered to be among the best-run clubs in Britain again, that will be the time to ask the question. Don't hold your breath.

No, we haven't got our Rovers back and while Venkys continue to own us we never will.

More common sense these days-----losing a fortune every week tends to do that but so much still wrong.

Shebby's gone, Agnew's gone so is Shaw running the Club on his own? Not an inspiring thought! Where's the new super-administrator we were promised months ago?

Is Karen Silk still working out her notice?

Have we got a worldwide network of scouts again?

These questions and others point to a "seat of the pants, winging it" mentality which has characterised Venkyworld from the beginning.

We are always a heartbeat away from the next disaster with this mob. When we are widely considered to be among the best-run clubs in Britain again, that will be the time to ask the question. Don't hold your breath.

do you think we`d `have our rovers back` if `the trust` owned us..? PAH!

Have improvements been made? Yes. Are Venkys spending money on the squad? Yes. Have venkys moved out most of the questionable characters? Yes.

Do I think we have got our Rovers back. NO.

Largely thats down to trust. I dont trust Venkys. I dont trust their motives, I dont trust their means.

It will always be about, Venkys. Their global interests and exposure, not about the Clubs history and culture, or sporting success and certainly not about the supporters.

If people are feeling appeased just because Venkys are getting some decisions right after a globally epic run of failure then thats their choice and I will respect it. But the Club will remain in decline with our current owners. IMHO

For me, I have been disenfranchised by Venkys. They continue to operate in a way that shuts out the supporters and their motives and aspirations are a mystery. What is it they want to achieve? How is it being financed? Why wont they listen to people to people who the best interests of the club at heart? Why aren't they sharing there vision with us? Why do I feel I am on the outside looking in, when in the past, win, loose or draw I felt part of what was happening.

In my honest opinion, WE the supporters wont have our club back until we have owners who respect the proud history and culture of Rovers and respect the input of supporters. I dont think that is, or ever will be, VENKYS.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have stumbled across an article today which explains a lot about the mess regarding Henning Bergs contract worth a read:

http://www.thelawyer.com/analysis/opinion/blackburn-fcs-defence-exposed/3004840.article

it certainly explains a lot.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have stumbled across an article today which explains a lot about the mess regarding Henning Bergs contract worth a read:

http://www.thelawyer.com/analysis/opinion/blackburn-fcs-defence-exposed/3004840.article

it certainly explains a lot.

what has that got to do with this thread other than being a negative propaganda plant dredging up the past? we know what`s gone before and are now concentrating on what happens moving forward, and at the moment, things seem to be massively improving.

Guest Norbert

Well the only way it have got worse was relegation and the club folding, so the only way is up. Too early to say whether things will turn out for the best. We still have financial worries and a lack of a clear way out if we do not go up this season. However, on the pitch it seems to be better, and there does seem to be a sense that the manager is in charge rather than agents or global advisors.

We don't have our Rovers back, that will only happen when Venky's leave but things are better than they have been under those clowns so far.

Well the only way it have got worse was relegation and the club folding, so the only way is up. Too early to say whether things will turn out for the best. We still have financial worries and a lack of a clear way out if we do not go up this season. However, on the pitch it seems to be better, and there does seem to be a sense that the manager is in charge rather than agents or global advisors.

We don't have our Rovers back, that will only happen when Venky's leave but things are better than they have been under those clowns so far.

but if venkys go it`ll only mean we are owned by a.n.other, so that being the case, you`ll never `get your rovers back` anyway. some seem to be crying out for local ownership, but name me the list of successful teams that are locally owned? it`d be a short list as most are at the level of accy stanley and below, there`s no more jack walkers around. man utd, man city, chelsea, arsenal, spurs, all the top teams in the country and all under foreign ownership, so what`s the problem with that..? venky`s, despite everything, still say they`re here for the long term and are determined to make it a success, so without a local billionaire beating down their door, then we might as well wait and see what they can do.

what has that got to do with this thread other than being a negative propaganda plant dredging up the past? we know what`s gone before and are now concentrating on what happens moving forward, and at the moment, things seem to be massively improving.

you don't half talk a lot of pap

agree with the comments questioning bowyer`s `love` for rovers(he`s a forest man ain`t he?), but what i would say is he knows what the fans want and expect from our team from his near decade of experience at the club. appleton and berg lacked that knowledge.

rovers have always been at their best as a no frills, hard working and hard to beat football side, with just a dash of finesse.

wow, the most reasonable post you have ever put on here, keep up the good work

there`s no more jack walkers around. man utd, man city, chelsea, arsenal, spurs, all the top teams in the country and all under foreign ownership, so what`s the problem with that..?

You have just hit the nail on the head, unfortunately for you doing so also knocks your argument on the head.

Foreign ownership is EXACTLY what the problem is. I'll spare everyone another of my rants on this subject but in brief the combination of Sky TV and foreign ownership has destroyed English football at the highest level, turning the PL into a non-competitive franchise in which only the very strongest and the weakest have anything to play for - the title or relegation. The bulk of our top clubs, that is the PL and top half of the Championship, are nothing more than pawns in a competition which may as well be whittled down to six clubs and forget the rest.

Sadly this includes Rovers but at least in the PL there was some decent football and excitement. Today? Well we can bumble around the Championship with some hope if promotion and if by some miracle it happened how much cash would be needed to build a squad? £50-60m? Make no mistake we do not have a squad capable of staying in the PL and cannot afford one.

For much of my life every fan started the season with a dream of what his or her club might achieve. For many the dream would last till Christmas, for some with the help of a calculator, the fixture list and a bucket of optimism it would last till Easter. Not anymore

Today Rovers fans are satisfied with some stability and effort on the pitch. There is absolutely Kean all to look forward to

You may be too young to have experienced the time when every club had a chance. When an Ipswich or Blackburn could be champions. They were good times.

Football is, or used to be, about dreams.

No dreams - that's what's wrong with foreign ownership.

Apologies that was a mini rant.

You have just hit the nail on the head, unfortunately for you doing so also knocks your argument on the head.

Foreign ownership is EXACTLY what the problem is. I'll spare everyone another of my rants on this subject but in brief the combination of Sky TV and foreign ownership has destroyed English football at the highest level, turning the PL into a non-competitive franchise in which only the very strongest and the weakest have anything to play for - the title or relegation. The bulk of our top clubs, that is the PL and top half of the Championship, are nothing more than pawns in a competition which may as well be whittled down to six clubs and forget the rest.

Sadly this includes Rovers but at least in the PL there was some decent football and excitement. Today? Well we can bumble around the Championship with some hope if promotion and if by some miracle it happened how much cash would be needed to build a squad? £50-60m? Make no mistake we do not have a squad capable of staying in the PL and cannot afford one.

For much of my life every fan started the season with a dream of what his or her club might achieve. For many the dream would last till Christmas, for some with the help of a calculator, the fixture list and a bucket of optimism it would last till Easter. Not anymore

Today Rovers fans are satisfied with some stability and effort on the pitch. There is absolutely Kean all to look forward to

You may be too young to have experienced the time when every club had a chance. When an Ipswich or Blackburn could be champions. They were good times.

Football is, or used to be, about dreams.

No dreams - that's what's wrong with foreign ownership.

Apologies that was a mini rant.

Rant or not. That is the reality. As a competition, I do like the championship, which is so unpridictable.

With all due respect Paul it wasn't foreign ownership which ended the prospects of every club having a chance of winning the League but the lifting of the maximum wage in 1960. Ipswich Town, in 1961-62, were the last town club to win the League until Jack poured his millions into the Rovers. Like you, I can remember the time when every club had their 'star' internationals and the likes of Preston, Blackpool, Burnley, Rovers etc. could complete with the 'Big City' clubs. Indeed, when I first started watching the Rovers Liverpool were a Second Division club whilst Chelsea were about to become one. However, the lifting of the maximum wage changed the nature of the game with players drifting to the clubs who could afford to pay the big wages. Thus the likes of Fred Pickering, Mike England, Keith Newton - all home grown products - moved on whilst good players we signed like Fergie, Barrie Hole, Ken Knighton, Allan Hunter etc. we were unable to retain. All foreign ownership has done is allow the big clubs to offer even bigger wages and, as a result, some of the clubs who dominated in the past - Liverpool and Leeds - are now being left behind as we were in the 1960s.

Where I do agree with you is that without serious money being put into the club the Rovers will never operate competitively at the top level again. However, for me, even being an also ran in the Premier League is better than the dreadful stuff served up in the Championship. Watching Everton knock it around the other week at Ewood only reinforced that view. In the Premier League, even if the Rovers were poor, one could always appreciate the football of the opposition. Sadly, there were few games last season that were enjoyable in terms of the quality of the football on view.

In many ways, to return to the title of the thread, we have got our Rovers back - sadly it's the Rovers of the late 1960's and early 1970's rather than the Jack Walker or Walker Trust era.

Robinson, Salgado, P Jones, Samba, Givet, Emerton, J Jones, NZonzi, Olsson, Hoilett, Roberts.

Above is the team that beat Wolves on the last day of the season in 2011, just 2 short years ago. That is the Rovers team I'd like back, with a decent manager of course.

Robinson, Salgado, P Jones, Samba, Givet, Emerton, J Jones, NZonzi, Olsson, Hoilett, Roberts.

Above is the team that beat Wolves on the last day of the season in 2011, just 2 short years ago. That is the Rovers team I'd like back, with a decent manager of course.

That's a very mediocre team indeed compared to the one that played in 93/94 or lifted the title in 94/5. That's the one I'd like back as well as a 42 year old Dalglish as manager but football is cyclical and nothing lasts for ever.

Agree with Parson, foreign ownership doesn't destroy the competitiveness of the game, it's the fact the bigger Clubs have more money than the smaller ones. Always have had and always will have. It's a fact of life.

In many ways the Sky money levels the playing field in the event a smaller Club can get to the Premiership in the first place. It's unlikely a small club will ever repeat Jack's feat and win the League now but there is every opportunity of consolidating and surviving which wasn't really there previously thanks to the TV money and maybe even winning a Cup like us or Swansea.winning the Worthington Cup.

Guest Norbert

but if venkys go it`ll only mean we are owned by a.n.other, so that being the case, you`ll never `get your rovers back` anyway. some seem to be crying out for local ownership, but name me the list of successful teams that are locally owned? it`d be a short list as most are at the level of accy stanley and below, there`s no more jack walkers around. man utd, man city, chelsea, arsenal, spurs, all the top teams in the country and all under foreign ownership, so what`s the problem with that..? venky`s, despite everything, still say they`re here for the long term and are determined to make it a success, so without a local billionaire beating down their door, then we might as well wait and see what they can do.

You do have a point about how billionaires are often needed to succeed, and they all seem to be foreign. However, Venky's are complete cretins, have really messed things up and should go. Ideally, A. N. Other should work in partnership with either Seneca or the Trust, thus giving a foundation based within the local community. And we have seen what Venky's can do-relegation, financial madness, and the appointment of a load of parasites and morons. I just thought it needed reiterating as you seem to have forgotten the last 3 years or so.

Archived