BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jake Keans Form

For me, we have to take him out of the firing line before we ruin him completely.

When he broke into the side last season I thought he was very good (not excellent, but very good) and I had very high hopes for him (still do TBH).

He still looked ok up until getting injured at the back end of last season, this season he seems to be going backwards which I can only put down to the coaching as many have said.

The problem is with a keeper (I used to play in goal by the way and have dropped a few clangers in my time!) if he makes one mistake, he gets a pat on the back and told not to worry about it. If he consistantly makes errors, the defenders don't trust him and try to clear everything, sometimes making him look worse by getting in the way. He then knows that the defenders have no confidence in him and starts to get nervous. This is then a vicious ever decreasing circle until you have 15,000 people taking a sharp intake of breath and watching through their fingers every time the ball goes near you.

I don't think Eastwood is the answer at all but maybe a couple of games rest could do Jake a world of good, Eastwood's handling certainly can't be any worse at the moment! Jake could even use the time to go and see a decent keeping coach! I'm sure he's still got Bobby Mimms' number.

For what it's worth, I think we missed a real chance with Butland, how he ended up on load at Barnsley I don't know!

If, has has been reported, we've got insurance issues with Robbo, then I think we've got to be seriously looking at this one.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't rate Butland that highly, has played one or two outstanding matches and because he was young and English he got a lot of exposure and hype. I do think we need to try and get friedel to finish his career off here! 6months with Brad in training then Kean might be upto scratch next season.

Andy Kean I presume? ^_^

Hah, bloody hell, I've been about 5 different people on here according to the 'locals'...

Took months to shake off the accusation that I was the LET guy.

No, I just really don't rate Bunn.

Had a couple of good games and people forget about the errors, poor kicking, bad decision making, etc, etc.

In any case, Robbo is streets ahead of both and if he can regain full fitness, him being first choice should be a given.

Fielding is terrible. Dropped by Bristol City in League 1 recently.

Fielding is another strange one in the weird world of goalkeepers. Great young prospect here, very good for England U21's then goes to Derby's 1st team quite young and does well for a while then hits the slope and goes rapidly backwards. Don't know his injury situation but perhaps he's another one propelled forward too soon.

Alan Miller? Jason Brown? Peter Enckelman?

How many of them made performances like Kean did vs. Arsenal?

Aye that Arsenal game he was unreal and going off last seasons performances he's got potential to be as good as any of those lot mentioned. That's why it's strange how he's had the jitters a bit right from the beggining this season. Maybe it's the possible spectre of Robbo coming back that's stuck in the back of his mind and got to him a bit.

• Backroom

Jason Brown performed like that against Man United and for rovers I don't recall him, Enckleman or Miller making the type of mistakes Kean makes regularly then again the latter two played a total of 3 games between them

Then again you don't really know much about Kean at all as his constant poor handling, kicking, positioning etc aren't shown on the highlights

Kean is a decent shot stopper and has the instincts required to be a good keeper but at the minute he is a bad goalkeeper

• Backroom

The 2 week break could be perfect timing for him to get his head straight and come back stronger, alternatively the mistakes could play on his mind

I just hope we have good people working with him both physically and mentally

Jason Brown performed like that against Man United and for rovers I don't recall him, Enckleman or Miller making the type of mistakes Kean makes regularly then again the latter two played a total of 3 games between them

Conversely, do you remember them making the kind of saves Kean did last season? So you judge Kean to be worse than them based on his weaknesses, without factoring in his strengths?

• Backroom

Jason Brown - yes I do (he also had the ability to pull every kick out of play on the left wing like Kean)

The other two - no because one played one game the other played two so you couldn't judge either way

You are arguing for arguings sake now, honestly though and I am going to keep going back to this how many times have you seen Jake Kean play a full game? You commented on me mentioning a howler he dropped a week ago without seeing it then mentioned a routine save he made again without seeing it.

I've nothing against the lad I'm just amazed you can defend his performances without really knowing much about them

I don't need to watch him week-in, week out, to know he had a very good season last term and made some critical saves, like the MOM display against Arsenal.

Now his performances have dipped and he's the "worst keeper since Fettis"? Hyperbolic statements like that serve to weaken your argument.

Lots of argy bargy on here but the fact remains that we let the best keeper (that I have ever seen at Ewood in over 50 years ) leave prematurely for no good reason. Another consequence and a seriously long term one of the Facebook numpties who discouraged Williams from employing Allardyce immediately Mark Hughes left in 2008. Brad Friedal could have played another 200 games for us and to be quite honest he is still a better keeper than the rest of the motley crew of obscure gkeeping journeymen that we have had since..... put together! No one can blame the Venkymob / Shebby / Shaw / Steve Kean for that either! I don't know how some people can whine at the mistakes the Indians have made and yet still look at themselves in a mirror.

One cannot live in the past but the club has made massive mistakes one after another for the past half dozen years and effectively pushing Hughes and Friedal toward the exit door are still two of the biggest.

• Backroom

What I meant is in my view I haven't seen a worse keeper we've actually used since Fettis and I am yet to be convinced otherwise

Then again we are a much worse team now in general

Theno - agreed its a travesty that Friedel went when it was avoidable probably yet some people on here wanted rid didn't they?

Theno - agreed its a travesty that Friedel went when it was avoidable probably yet some people on here wanted rid didn't they?

Incredible but true Tom.

I haven't done this btw but track back to the topic at the time and I'm sure that you'll find many who at the time thought it was a great bit of business to replace the ageing Freidal with the much younger Paul Robinson despite the fact that Robbo was only ever bang ordinary. :wstu:

When Friedel went, none of the Rovers fans that I know were happy to see him go, the feeling that I sensed was disappointment and acknowledgement that we could not replace him fully, but also an understanding that when he did finally go (or retire), that we were able to bring in a goalkeeper who seemed on paper to have he potential to be a good replacement, if not up to the incredible standards set by Friedel.

I recall it as Friedal (i before e Gordon) having his head turned by Villa FOR CASH under the guise of "wanting a new challenge"

Brad left because he and Ince didnt get on when both at Liverpool. Before that his contract "negotiation" was a cup of tea at Ewood with John Williams (no agent) which took a matter of minutes. Hardly the action of a merecanary.

To get rid of the best keeper we've ever had, we had to shell out an additional 1.5m more than we received for a worse (albeit better than Kean) keeper (Robbo). Not many clubs would do that, yet i remember posters on here backing it.

Brad left because he and Ince didnt get on when both at Liverpool. Before that his contract "negotiation" was a cup of tea at Ewood with John Williams (no agent) which took a matter of minutes. Hardly the action of a merecanary.

To get rid of the best keeper we've ever had, we had to shell out an additional 1.5m more than we received for a worse (albeit better than Kean) keeper (Robbo). Not many clubs would do that, yet i remember posters on here backing it.

If I remember at the time of Brad's departure both rumours of him not getting on with Ince and the Brad needed cash to keep his American operation going were doing the rounds.

How this is relevant to Kean's form I don't know.

Archived