BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jake Keans Form

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many

how many times has he made a save you wouldn't expect him to make comfortably? I recall one or two at home if that, fact is he fails at his job more than he excels at it. You can tell the defence are nervous with him behind them and his kicking normally gives possession back to the other team

"Too many" isn't an answer, Tom.

From your list, it looks like the Nottm Forest game was the only gaffe he's made that's cost us. Which isn't bad for a supposed comedy keeper. And if it's safe to assume he's made saves during that time, he's obviously kept us in matches as well.

Unfortunately with every passing game we're lamenting mistakes that Kean has made.

It doesn't happen with good keepers and I don't buy this 'he needs to be given confidence' nonsense either. Time to remove him from the firing line and get a decent loanee in.

He's been badly managed Tom. The lad should have spent a couple of seasons playing in the Carling Cup games, playing second or third fiddle. Instead, with Robinsons wages meaning he wasn't wanted any more, Kean was thrust straight in as first choice from day one. I said at the time that it would inevitably cost us games. It's not his fault though, he should have been protected better than he has.

Having said that, he looks nothing more than 2nd/3rd division to me. He's never looked better than that.

I know it's your favourite hobby horse Den but nothing to do with Robinson's wages. He looked like he could hardly move in the first half of last sesson, went in for a back op and unfortunately very serious complications arose thereafter.

We should have signed Sandomoerski imo. Even if Kean had remained on top form you can never have too many good players and the 1m fee pales into insignificance compared to the money frittered away over the last few seasons.

Maybe it's my favourite hobby horse too but by way of example why keep Pedersen hanging around all summer if the intention was to release him? If we'd allowed him to leave at the end of last season the money saved in wages would have made up a sizeable proportion of the Sandomoerski fee.

From your list, it looks like the Nottm Forest game was the only gaffe he's made that's cost us. Which isn't bad for a supposed comedy keeper. And if it's safe to assume he's made saves during that time, he's obviously kept us in matches as well.

You support Rochina who's done nothing so far, then defend Kean?

• Backroom

Your defending of him is just bizarre when you've probably seen him play once this season (and yep I'll play that card whenever its relevant and it is here more than ever)

So he gets lucky and his mistakes don't always cost us points whoop de doo he is still making terrible mistakes on a weekly basis nearly without fail and it in turn rocks the whole team

But no it must be that I've just got a grudge not simply that he is at this moment a bad goalkeeper

Nothing wrong with offering an alternative viewpoint. You are quite meticulous in your criticism of Kean, cataloging all of his errors, even if only one of them has actually cost us a match this season. That's your own evidence you're putting forward, so regardless of whether I've seen him play this season, I'm judging your argument on its own merit.

How do you judge how many points or games a keeper costs Amo? It's impossible to catageorise it like that. If a keeper loses confidence and starts to hide, mishandle, become uncertain etc, then the defenders in particular become uncertain. The keeper doesn't have to drop obvious clangers to need a breather.

Toppers, do you think Kean is good enough to play for us as first choice goalie?

I don't think he's played as well as he could have, based on last season. But I also think there's a tendency to jump on the scapegoating bandwagon whenever we lose a game and point the finger at Kean instead of how we're set-up. If Bowyer sets the team out correctly, then I don't think Kean's an issue. People keep saying he doesn't instill any confidence in the side, but is it not possible it's the other way around? If the team plays too deep and invites pressure, then the goalkeeper's exposed, and only the likes of Friedel could perform miracles. It's important to remember he's still a young keeper in his first full season at the club. Is Eastwood the answer? I think people will find the same problems with him.

How do you judge how many points or games a keeper costs Amo? It's impossible to catageorise it like that. If a keeper loses confidence and starts to hide, mishandle, become uncertain etc, then the defenders in particular become uncertain. The keeper doesn't have to drop obvious clangers to need a breather.

Todd Kane has been making needless errors that put unnecessary pressure on the goalkeeper, and Scott Dann is prone to having a case of the Darren Peacocks. When it comes to confidence between a goalkeeper and his defenders, it's most certainly a two-way street.

Goalkeeper is a critical position. A shortage of confidence by a keeper spreads to the defence, the rest of the team and the supporters like wildfire and from the games that I have seen this season and body language it's clear that Kean has lost self belief and his team mates have lost confidence in him. We could do with seeing if City want Joe Hart repairing. :tu:

Can't kick , can't catch , got a body like a pin ball machine and mistakes costly .

Any good team needs a solid spine , which usually starts with the goalkeeper .

Rovers ain't got time to give Kean time , we need a solid keeper between the sticks and at present Robbo is the only keeper on the books who can do half a good job.

Eastwood didn't look much cop in the league cup , so he ain't the answer.

Ian experienced man , perhaps Shay Given would be an ideal loan

• Backroom

I don't think he's played as well as he could have, based on last season. But I also think there's a tendency to jump on the scapegoating bandwagon whenever we lose a game and point the finger at Kean instead of how we're set-up. If Bowyer sets the team out correctly, then I don't think Kean's an issue. People keep saying he doesn't instill any confidence in the side, but is it not possible it's the other way around? If the team plays too deep and invites pressure, then the goalkeeper's exposed, and only the likes of Friedel could perform miracles. It's important to remember he's still a young keeper in his first full season at the club. Is Eastwood the answer? I think people will find the same problems with him.

A politician's answer there pal. Forget his age and potential replacements, do you think Jake Kean good enough to be our first choice goalie at this point in time? I have four mates I know from my days up north who still go to Ewood and they're all in agreement Kean is nowhere near good enough. It's very unusual for them to all agree - one of them even rated Andrews when he was here.

Whether Kean's being scapegoated I don't know - but if he isn't good enough, he isn't good enough, and we have to try and replace him as soon as possible.

• Backroom

So if bowyer sets the team up differently then suddenly his flapping, kicking, poor parrying and moments of madness aren't an issue

You are clearly arguing for the sake of it now without foundation

Watch his games back this season I would suggest

Can't kick , can't catch , got a body like a pin ball machine and mistakes costly .

Any good team needs a solid spine , which usually starts with the goalkeeper .

Rovers ain't got time to give Kean time , we need a solid keeper between the sticks and at present Robbo is the only keeper on the books who can do half a good job.

Eastwood didn't look much cop in the league cup , so he ain't the answer.

Ian experienced man , perhaps Shay Given would be an ideal loan

Shay Given is a great shout.

Shay Given is a great shout.

why not Friedel on loan?

he's chomping at the bit for game time at spurs(but is unlikely to get much) If we could get him on loan at least until xmas it would be amazing(and I bet it would give the whole club and fanbase a much needed boost having him back!)

p.s.

shay would obviously be next on the list

p.p.s. chance of us even attempting to bring either of them in 500-1(in my book).

This drop Kean play Eastwood seems legit, but what it throws out is the goalkeeping coach and puts him in the spotlight as its he who recommended Eastwood, yet, hes also supposed to be working on improving Jake's overall game.

One major difference between today's teams was the total confidence that Brighton's defenders had in the man behind them, ours didn't seem to have any. Poor lad can make decent saves but he has so many problems handling. Thought his kicking was a bit better though!

Archived