BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jake Keans Form

• Backroom

He made one great save

And fell over when put under pressure and along with a defender managed to concede a corner when there was no danger

Summed up everything I think about him, decent shot stopper - average to poor all round keeper

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He made one great save

And fell over when put under pressure and along with a defender managed to concede a corner when there was no danger

Summed up everything I think about him, decent shot stopper - average to poor all round keeper

Tom, I don't necessarily totally disagree BUT who in the PL would you consider to be a good all round keeper never mind at our level?

IMO, there isn't one. Most have great reflexes, fit and good shot stoppers but there isn't one that wouldn't struggle to catch a cold never mind a cross on the edge of the 6 yard box.

If you want your best keeper between the sticks, then yes. Doubt it will happen though.

I would say more along the lines of, if he proves he is the best keeper a that moment, not his past. I would say its up to the manager to be the judge of that.

• Backroom

I've said it before and I really think he's in the David James category of keepers that are good instinct shot stoppers but when needed to make a decision often get it wrong, flap at crosses and lose concentration.

Off the top of my head this season he has:

- nearly cost us a goal at derby when he came for a cross and got nowhere near it luckily the offside flag went up

- got caught under a cross come shot at Doncaster which sailed in

- flapped at crosses and cost us a last minute loser against Forest rushing out of his goal and not getting it

- cost us a goal against Bolton by not dealing with a simple shot effectively

- very nearly cost us a goal at burnley when he cleared straight against their striker then got caught under the ball on several crosses

- colluded with Spurr to put us under pressure against Huddersfield ending up in gifting the opposition a corner

- rushed out of goal to give the striker a simple finish against Bournemouth

He's made a handful of really good saves mixed in with that but that's an alarming list of faults in only 10 or so games

I've said it before and I really think he's in the David James category of keepers that are good instinct shot stoppers but when needed to make a decision often get it wrong, flap at crosses and lose concentration.

- nearly cost us a goal at derby when he came for a cross and got nowhere near it luckily the offside flag went up

- flapped at crosses and cost us a last minute loser against Forest rushing out of his goal and not getting it

- very nearly cost us a goal at burnley when he cleared straight against their striker then got caught under the ball on several crosses

- colluded with Spurr to put us under pressure against Huddersfield ending up in gifting the opposition a corner

He's made a handful of really good saves mixed in with that but that's an alarming list of faults in only 10 or so games

Good post Tom, that is a scary list you have knocked up there and all points mentioned are genuine errors by him over 9 games nearly one a game!

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom

- flat footed for a weak strike from distance at Blackpool

- couldn't hold a simple shot against Boro luckily they didn't capitalise

- seemingly weak goal today (not seen this one)

Time to try something different, anything.

He's been badly managed Tom. The lad should have spent a couple of seasons playing in the Carling Cup games, playing second or third fiddle. Instead, with Robinsons wages meaning he wasn't wanted any more, Kean was thrust straight in as first choice from day one. I said at the time that it would inevitably cost us games. It's not his fault though, he should have been protected better than he has.

Having said that, he looks nothing more than 2nd/3rd division to me. He's never looked better than that.

- flat footed for a weak strike from distance at Blackpool

- couldn't hold a simple shot against Boro luckily they didn't capitalise

- seemingly weak goal today (not seen this one)

Time to try something different, anything.

But from your list, how many points has he actually cost us this season?

• Backroom

But from your list, how many points has he actually cost us this season?

Too many

how many times has he made a save you wouldn't expect him to make comfortably? I recall one or two at home if that, fact is he fails at his job more than he excels at it. You can tell the defence are nervous with him behind them and his kicking normally gives possession back to the other team

Archived