BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jake Keans Form

Af fit Robbo is head and shoulders above Kean

At this moment that is true.

I'd say they are very much the same, susceptible to shots from distance, not very convincing when coming out for high balls but very good shot stoppers. Robbo has experience but a tired body, Kean has a lack of experience but youth to make him far more mobile. Although an extra highly experienced and talented keeper would be lovely, I just can't see us paying out for Robbo, Kean, Usai & Eastwood (+premiership wage) when we currently appear to have no strikers to bench.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say they are very much the same, susceptible to shots from distance, not very convincing when coming out for high balls but very good shot stoppers. Robbo has experience but a tired body, Kean has a lack of experience but youth to make him far more mobile. Although an extra highly experienced and talented keeper would be lovely, I just can't see us paying out for Robbo, Kean, Usai & Eastwood (+premiership wage) when we currently appear to have no strikers to bench.

Hasn't Usai left?

I also thought I'd read that Robbo was out until Christmas so a short term loan maybe the answer, with Kean struggling for confidence and questions about Eastwood.

Don't think I'm trying to be purposely obtrusive here but unfortunately we still have to pay Robbo whilst he is injured, we aren't premiership anymore and have to cut our cloth etc. We have to be careful with our cash and a fresh keeper would probably not be a priority with the amounts we already spend in this area. I'd say a high amount of teams in this league has a Number 1 and a kid on the bench.

Don't think I'm trying to be purposely obtrusive here but unfortunately we still have to pay Robbo whilst he is injured, we aren't premiership anymore and have to cut our cloth etc. We have to be careful with our cash and a fresh keeper would probably not be a priority with the amounts we already spend in this area. I'd say a high amount of teams in this league has a Number 1 and a kid on the bench.

As it happens I agree but how long do you go if Kean's form carrys on?

A lot of people questioned Souness when he brought in Freidal to replace Kelly and Filan but it brought us a run of form that won us promotion.

Errm - he's a young keeper and is going to look like a young keeper for a while yet (see De Gea). Yeah he had a shaky start today and flapped at a cross later on but he also punched a couple of corners clear (never seen Robbo get anywhere near a cross) and if anyone thinks robinson would get down to that shot then i suggest a look at the highlights reel from the last 3 years...

good points made there.

Great double save? Ok the second was good but he only had to make it because he couldn't hold a simple shot the first time

I think you are being very over critical on a Keeper who has made some world class saves last season and still making very good saves.

His kicking is a weakness but hopefully this will improve with more training in this area but I think he shouldn't be worrying about this tho.

I wish Robbo well but he ain't our alternative solution IMO. Jake Kean needs an arm round his shoulder and cajoling. He has great potential and the likes of Frank Fielding weren't allowed to leave without reason.

I'm sure Bowyer and the rest the coaching staff and players will rally about Kean and try to get his confidence back. He has great potential and Rovers need to develop this.

Fielding is now playing in League 1 with Bristol City

Kean was brilliant last season he has just had a shaky start, with a young keeper you have to stick with him, dropping him now would shatter his confidence.

this is great point pick32. we have a very good young keeper who need to keep playing him. I think if we did drop him then his confidence would be shattered

Is it me or has Kean become a worse keeper since the changing the keeping coach?

He is a young keeper so confidence is key, but at times he does look like he has lead in his boots when dealing with crosses.

we have the same goalkeeper coach in John Keeley we had since last January. Kean look very good last season from when he can in as first choice keeper

I've got this feeling that a clean sheet would do wonders for both Kean and the rest of our defense. Think it's time Bowyer gave Kilgallon a run-out to mix things up a bit. Might do the trick. Can't be easy for a young goalie having conceded in every game this season. Can only get better.

Problem is Baz when's Robbo ever likely to be fit?

I also disagree regarding his abilities compared with Kean.

Let me know what your thoughts are regarding Robbo and Kean and why you think he's head and shoulders above coz I just don't see it. I don't think Kean's currently any great shakes btw.

The best keepers are the ones who make least mistakes, Robbo although susceptible to an occasional long range effort, is pretty consistent.

He's better at:

kicking (robbo is best kicker ive seen)

at crosses (kean is a flapper)

at organising the defence (see Kean shouting at Kane in last few minutes of game for taking extra touch, he should be shouting at him before that point)

I think Kean is promising, but at present he's a liability.

The best keepers are the ones who make least mistakes, Robbo although susceptible to an occasional long range effort, is pretty consistent.

He's better at:

kicking (robbo is best kicker ive seen)

at crosses (kean is a flapper)

at organising the defence (see Kean shouting at Kane in last few minutes of game for taking extra touch, he should be shouting at him before that point)

I think Kean is promising, but at present he's a liability.

Agree but I think he needs a good coach.

To the person who said Keeley has been since January, the lad has gone backwards since Janaury. Confidence could be a reason, but I think a good coach could restore that.

Agree but I think he needs a good coach.

To the person who said Keeley has been since January, the lad has gone backwards since Janaury. Confidence could be a reason, but I think a good coach could restore that.

Didn't hear anyone complaining last season about Kean form and the amount of good saves he made in in the last 4/5 months of the season when Keeley was working with him.

I find it very sad how all these people are now jumping on Kean back after a couple of games where he hasn't been his best but he will get back there and prove these doubters WRONG!!!

he is young keeper who need the fans backing and get behind him not being OVER Critical again! these people were probably the same people who wanted Robinson dropped before last season Blackpool away game.

Didn't hear anyone complaining last season about Kean form and the amount of good saves he made in in the last 4/5 months of the season when Keeley was working with him.

Some fans said it would be inevitable that a young keeper, pretty much untried when he was thrown into the side, would at some point cost us points.

Not everyone was fawning at what some fans thought was going to be a future England keeper Chaddy.

I find it very sad how all these people are now jumping on Kean back after a couple of games where he hasn't been his best but he will get back there and prove these doubters WRONG!!!

he is young keeper who need the fans backing and get behind him not being OVER Critical again! these people were probably the same people who wanted Robinson dropped before last season Blackpool away game.

There is reason for the criticism, we aren't a perfect team and at the moment the goalkeeper position is a weak point. I agree that if Robinson was fit, he would probably add a steady pair of hands and be better at this moment in time in terms of confidence than Kean, and even if Kean didn't play, his career could have up to 20 years left so he needn't worry.

Chaddy,

Not having a go at Kean, just that his form at present is not what it is.

When he first broke into the team, Mimms was goalkeeping coach and he looked a very good keeper. In a short period of time, although he has suffered from injury, he is looking shaky. If memory serves me right didn't Mimms recommend Kean to the club.

If Keeley is a good coach he needs to work with Kean to restore his confidence and then his form will return. All keepers need confidence but the longer the dip in form continues the worse the confidence will get and may destroy him as a keeper.

Partially in response to Baz but more my opinion in general: agree that Robinson is the best kicker - probably of any goalkeeper anywhere. I would question if robinson is better on corners/crosses - in my mind i don't remember him ever coming to collect or punch which whilst eliminating mistakes it means the opposition are encouraged to just pump the crosses in. In terms of defensive organisation - this is generally regarded as a weak point of robbo and was a constant talking point even before the shambles that was the scottish wonder coach... Shot stopper - tough one as under Allardyce he was very good and equally dreadful in the seasons afterwards. For me Kean still has the edge and hopefully will continue to develop.

• Backroom

Even for you Chaddy that's a bit of a one sided post

Why would someone complain about a players form when he's playing ok?

Fact is he is looking like a weak point and making mistakes on a weekly basis at the moment, we may not have an alternative right now but he shouldn't be immune from criticism either

Partially in response to Baz but more my opinion in general: agree that Robinson is the best kicker - probably of any goalkeeper anywhere. I would question if robinson is better on corners/crosses - in my mind i don't remember him ever coming to collect or punch which whilst eliminating mistakes it means the opposition are encouraged to just pump the crosses in. In terms of defensive organisation - this is generally regarded as a weak point of robbo and was a constant talking point even before the shambles that was the scottish wonder coach... Shot stopper - tough one as under Allardyce he was very good and equally dreadful in the seasons afterwards. For me Kean still has the edge and hopefully will continue to develop.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Robbo's made his name as a decent shot-stopper but he doesn't command his box that well. As for people saying Kean is being beaten too easily, Robbo's certainly no better in that department. He's conceded some very soft goals for us during his time here and has a weakness getting down to shots - which I doubt will have improved after back surgery.

Chaddy,

Not having a go at Kean, just that his form at present is not what it is.

When he first broke into the team, Mimms was goalkeeping coach and he looked a very good keeper. In a short period of time, although he has suffered from injury, he is looking shaky. If memory serves me right didn't Mimms recommend Kean to the club.

If Keeley is a good coach he needs to work with Kean to restore his confidence and then his form will return. All keepers need confidence but the longer the dip in form continues the worse the confidence will get and may destroy him as a keeper.

I do remember reading a Pompey forum when we signed Simon Eastwood in which they stated how much Eastwood improved once John Keeley had left and Alan Knight took over as goalkeeping coach. I wonder why we got rid of all the staff that Appleton appointed but john Keeley was kept on.

Surely we brought in Eastwood on the basis that he is a good keeper so why not stick him in the side? Otherwise it was a really strange signing. Kean is having a hard time, as young keepers usually do, so I would leave him out for a bit. Lucky not to give a goal away on Saturday and has given a goal away on 2 or 3 occasions this season already.

Anyone blaming young Kean for not saving that Dingle goal needs to have another long hard look at it!

That shot from Stanislas would have beaten any keeper, regardless of his form or experience. It was a perfectly placed and executed shot, and barring a miracle, unstoppable.

Hasn't he only really being playing since around January?

The debate shouldn't be about Jake Keans form, it should be about how a young keeper has been mishandled due to the owners insistence that big earners won't play.

He should have been given much more game time, in short spells in the cup competitions before being thrown in as number one from his first appearances.

Archived