BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jake Keans Form

Good grief, here I am defending the young goalie Jake Kean.

OK hes a young keeper who's made a couple of mistakes recently but hey, hes not the reason why Rovers are losing Suppose its now down to the quality of the goalkeeping coach, which must be under question after bringing Eastwood to Rovers and the desire from Jake to improve if that is the environment is right for players to improve.

Have to ask what is J*B implying.

Grant loves a pint and a KFC as his body clearly shows, Goodwillie defo does we've all seen the video. No idea if Kean does or doesn't but if he does, then it's little wonder his form is dropping as what you eat influences so many factors, both mental and physical.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Grant loves a pint and a KFC as his body clearly shows, Goodwillie defo does we've all seen the video. No idea if Kean does or doesn't but if he does, then it's little wonder his form is dropping as what you eat influences so many factors, both mental and physical.

Can't comment on his day to day life but there seems to be plenty of pictures of the 3 of them on the lash and Kean seems to be close to Goodwillie

Can't comment on his day to day life but there seems to be plenty of pictures of the 3 of them on the lash and Kean seems to be close to Goodwillie

The professionalism of football knows no bounds..

If I was GB it would be simple, you want to go on the kean, kean off and enjoy not getting paid as I'll fine you each and every time you do it.

Can you imagine Andy 'the conquerer of england' Murray going on the lash after a tennis match?

Agree there Maji, the first thing my very fit 14 year old said to me at the Everton game, Hanley looks fat. Just the wrong shape....compared to Dann & Kilgallon he looks like an old man....

Anyone see him bullying little Theo at Wembley..?

Agree there Maji, the first thing my very fit 14 year old said to me at the Everton game, Hanley looks fat. Just the wrong shape....compared to Dann & Kilgallon he looks like an old man....

Anyone see him bullying little Theo at Wembley..?

I think we have one or two at Rovers who could benfit from a serious dietary/lifestyle change.

Yeh i saw it and cannot believe he gets so much stick for his size. Yeh he's a thick set lad but come on he's been our best centre half over the past 2 years and puts Dann to shame.

No ones saying he's not done well but he could do better. You never see athletes from other sports eating/drinking and generally not looking after their bodies. They know how important it is to ensure you are in tip top condition and ensure they are. There is no reason why Hanley shouldn't be leaner, he'd be stronger, quicker, more alert, his reactions would improve, decision making, and eveything else. It all interacts, nutrition, psychology, physiology all come in one body and yet a lot of people in football neglect this. Theno's comment the other day that I would blame it on the wrong type of pasta had me pissing myself with laughter. Why? Because it's true and fact. You are what you eat.

We shouldn't really have sold Mark Bunn. I know he was frustrated being on the bench behind Robinson and wanted to play but ironically almost as soon as he left Robbo ran into issues and he'd have been first choice most of last season and this. I see he's back on the bench with Norwich now with Ruddy being their first choice.

I think we have one or two at Rovers who could benfit from a serious dietary/lifestyle change.

No ones saying he's not done well but he could do better. You never see athletes from other sports eating/drinking and generally not looking after their bodies. They know how important it is to ensure you are in tip top condition and ensure they are. There is no reason why Hanley shouldn't be leaner, he'd be stronger, quicker, more alert, his reactions would improve, decision making, and eveything else. It all interacts, nutrition, psychology, physiology all come in one body and yet a lot of people in football neglect this. Theno's comment the other day that I would blame it on the wrong type of pasta had me pissing myself with laughter. Why? Because it's true and fact. You are what you eat.

to be fair if he's going out drinking etc and still performing better than the others then maybe they all should go out more. :)

Hanley looks one of the fittest players on the pitch to me. He can run with the ball better than pretty much any of our midfield.

Not everyone is built exactly the same, looking a bit fat according to standards more critical than a catwalk doesn't mean the likes of Dunn and Hanley aren't fit. You occasionally see athletes from every sport eating or drinking something not strictly in line with their regime when they don't have training the next day, relaxing now and again is an important part of recharging the mental batteries and I don't see why players should be banned from doing it within moderation on a Saturday night after a game. Maybe an Allardyce or a Ferguson would be getting our players in slightly better shape, like by 1 or 2%, but that's it. There's so much money involved in football now that every aspect of diet, fitness etc at every professional club is fine tuned. The effects of our players physiology on our results is insignificant compared to their ability, mental state and our manager's tactics.

Hanley looks one of the fittest players on the pitch to me. He can run with the ball better than pretty much any of our midfield.

Not everyone is built exactly the same, looking a bit fat according to standards more critical than a catwalk doesn't mean the likes of Dunn and Hanley aren't fit. You occasionally see athletes from every sport eating or drinking something not strictly in line with their regime when they don't have training the next day, relaxing now and again is an important part of recharging the mental batteries and I don't see why players should be banned from doing it within moderation on a Saturday night after a game. Maybe an Allardyce or a Ferguson would be getting our players in slightly better shape, like by 1 or 2%, but that's it. There's so much money involved in football now that every aspect of diet, fitness etc at every professional club is fine tuned. The effects of our players physiology on our results is insignificant compared to their ability, mental state and our manager's tactics.

Great post and on the subject of fitness didn't the whole squad fly out to Portugal for a full week fitness training ahead of this season?

I don't mind Kean, but a young GK is always a risk.

You don't get anywhere near your best until your late 20's into your early 30's.

A fully fit Robbo is several streets ahead of either Kean or Eastwood.

Let's hope he can get to that level of fitness soon as he's been a big miss.

Why do you say every aspect is finely tuned, I'm just curious as I would strongly argue that it isn't and that would be from the top down.

Hanley has a good frame but I'm sorry he is carrying to the eye some fat he doesn't need. he should be aiming to be 8-12% and there is no reason with the amount of work he must do in training that he isn't. Yes people are different but we all burn fat the same way, and we all put it on the same way. It is well documented his lifestyle isn't the best. Show me a tennis player with body fat like Hanleys? A rugby league player? a cyclist? Each of them know the negative affect it has on your bodies physical performance and so avoid it like the plauge. It's not Hanley's fault it's the clubs and societies (IE education in food at school) but the issue is he now has habits that will negatively affect his game and career.

Yes relaxation is important but getting @#/? is not relaxing its indulging. you say within moderation, there's nothing wrong with that but moderation is rarely achieved in football. Alcohol has serious negative affects on your body and you really shouldn't be doing it after a match as this is when your recovery is the most important (the match is the hardest fitness session all week). But you can affect their mental state through nutrition, I can cause depression through food, I can negatively impact your mood & emotional stability, these factors and more then impact your decision making, reactions, cognition etc etc. This in turn will affect your game, negatively. So I'll ask this who is Rovers nutritionist??? Just as you get different types of fuel for cars that enhance the engines performance so does the food you eat, we are basically biological machines. As far as I am aware we don't have one and never have had, there was a dietican but you can become one of those in a weekend, a nutritionist needs to study a degree.

I would say that the fitness struture of football is flawed and is a vicous circle. You work all year on it, maintaining it and improving when you can to then give them 2 months off. Fitness levels then decline and pre-season starts, which basically is about getting them back to where they were. This makes no sense.

On the week in portugal, how much fitter do you truly think one person can get in 7 days? Most studies that show an improvement range from 4 weeks to 8 weeks and significance is a 5% increase. Given the decline from not training in the off season, it's not an improvement, it's a return.

Well you definitely sound like you know what you're talking about (maybe you should apply for a job at Rovers!) but I find it hard to believe that we have a major problem in this area given all the top drawer players who have come through the club down the years and been glowing in their praise for the behind-the-scenes set up. And this includes players who have come to Rovers from some of the very best clubs in the country. If we had a major problem with something as important as diet then I don't see how older, more susceptible players like Yakubu and Salgado could have thrived here. Unless the Venky cull has gone deeper than I thought, I'd assumed the more minor staff were spared in their tyrannical desire to wipe out people with opinions at the club.

Eastwood is a player not a coach. You mean (John?) Keeley?

Aye that's the one, cheers, got them mixed up. Am i right in thinking it was Mimms who was instrumental in bringing Kean to the club or am i on the wrong lines again ?

Keans kicking is a big problem, it is literally the worst I have seen from a keeper.

Everytime we play it back to him he hits it out of play, and surrenders possession.

Theres a simple coaching point there then. Dont pass back.......... sorted !

Well you definitely sound like you know what you're talking about (maybe you should apply for a job at Rovers!) but I find it hard to believe that we have a major problem in this area given all the top drawer players who have come through the club down the years and been glowing in their praise for the behind-the-scenes set up. And this includes players who have come to Rovers from some of the very best clubs in the country. If we had a major problem with something as important as diet then I don't see how older, more susceptible players like Yakubu and Salgado could have thrived here. Unless the Venky cull has gone deeper than I thought, I'd assumed the more minor staff were spared in their tyrannical desire to wipe out people with opinions at the club.

Firstly thank you. I think I see the issue. Despite me saying a negative and focusing on that, I'm not saying things are bad. My viewpoint on life is simple I want to be the best I can be and 2nd place is failure in my eyes. Rovers back then were good, Roden was here as despite our differing viewpoints he is very very good at what he does. Howard then followed and he was also good and steady. Again Neville is decent and a good coach, it's not a disaster at Rovers but is it the best it could be? Do we consider all the angles we can in sports science? Yes we have physical trainers, but were are the mental trainers? The food trainers? I say this as the 3 main disciplines in sports science are psychology, physiology and nutrition and we only have people qualified in one area. they will have some knowledge in the others but it will never be the same level as someone who purely focuses on the other aspects. There are even one or two rare people qualified in all three area's. Do I feel Rovers could benefit by having expertise in this area's. Yes off course we could. why would a player be open and honest about his personal life to the manager (he picks the team if he perceives an issue the player doesn't play) or his staff (they tell the gaffer everything) but he's more likely too to a shrink who cannot tell a soul or he'll never work again. The same with the diet and even then the manager/staff don't really know enough and can only go off what they did or where told. Some clubs (very very rare) educate their players, teach them how to eat, teach them how the trainings will benefit them. I think this is very good if sold to the players the right way, better performance. But most clubs just say run this hard, eat this then and get you head right, man-up. I can't get on board with that. So is Rovers bad, no far from it in the grand scale, but is it all it could be far from it, but that's rare in football period. There's a reason Andy Murray has a team compromising each of the disciplines and a reason he's become what he is today from what he was, talented but lacking. Rovers just like Andy Murray could steal a march on the competition by embracing it all and reap the rewards.

It would seem the only interest at this club by the sheer number of young players is to move them on for a profit or fee for the agents and the owners involved at the club.

WINNING at Rovers nowadays seems to be all about the FEE, the CONTRACT, then get the PAY OFF as soon as possible and repeat, repeat, repeat, as often as you can for as long as they can get away with it.

• Backroom

Firstly thank you. I think I see the issue. Despite me saying a negative and focusing on that, I'm not saying things are bad. My viewpoint on life is simple I want to be the best I can be and 2nd place is failure in my eyes. Rovers back then were good, Roden was here as despite our differing viewpoints he is very very good at what he does. Howard then followed and he was also good and steady. Again Neville is decent and a good coach, it's not a disaster at Rovers but is it the best it could be? Do we consider all the angles we can in sports science? Yes we have physical trainers, but were are the mental trainers? The food trainers? I say this as the 3 main disciplines in sports science are psychology, physiology and nutrition and we only have people qualified in one area. they will have some knowledge in the others but it will never be the same level as someone who purely focuses on the other aspects. There are even one or two rare people qualified in all three area's. Do I feel Rovers could benefit by having expertise in this area's. Yes off course we could. why would a player be open and honest about his personal life to the manager (he picks the team if he perceives an issue the player doesn't play) or his staff (they tell the gaffer everything) but he's more likely too to a shrink who cannot tell a soul or he'll never work again. The same with the diet and even then the manager/staff don't really know enough and can only go off what they did or where told. Some clubs (very very rare) educate their players, teach them how to eat, teach them how the trainings will benefit them. I think this is very good if sold to the players the right way, better performance. But most clubs just say run this hard, eat this then and get you head right, man-up. I can't get on board with that. So is Rovers bad, no far from it in the grand scale, but is it all it could be far from it, but that's rare in football period. There's a reason Andy Murray has a team compromising each of the disciplines and a reason he's become what he is today from what he was, talented but lacking. Rovers just like Andy Murray could steal a march on the competition by embracing it all and reap the rewards.

On the back of this, I apologise for having a go. I knew you were speaking sense but as you acknowledge, it came across as focusing on the negative. However, we all want Rovers to be the best they can be :)

Out of interest (out of 10) where do you rate yourself in knowledge of those 3 areas?

Got to agree, The difference in fitness between Souness and Hughes was amazing. Dave Brailsford, the sky and GB cycling head coach, talks continually about how making a 1 or 2% difference can make the difference. Look at how many games we conceded late goals in last year, and how many more points we would have had if only 1/2 of those went in.

Maj obviously knows this stuff better than most, personally I'd be interested to see some articles from him on how you can gain a competitive advantage.

As for Jake Kean, he's promising, but Robbo is a better keeper. Robbo is good at organising his defence too, something I dont see from Kean.

Archived