BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jake Keans Form

does anyone think that Jake Kean is struggling for form at the moment?

i haven't seen all the matches and am relying on some highlights but when you isolate the goals i can point a finger at the fact he should have done better with some of the goals.

against Notts forest he made a huge mistake not claiming the ball and we lost the game because of it, against Doncaster the ball dropped inside his 6 yard box for the first goal and he was caught under the cross for the 2nd

any thoughts on this and would we rather see Robbo back in the nets asap?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another example of kids being over promoted due to the Wanky's wage trimming antics....he should be in the reserves still should Kean.

Completely agree.. serious 2nd season syndrome kicking in for Kean, he clearly isn't ready. this defence is crying out for some organisation!!

This should be a good discussion topic. I think he has a real weakness in dealing with crosses and aside from his glaring error against Forest he dithered over a couple more which doesn't help his defenders. I also think his kicking is poor. He is however a really good stop stopper.

In my opinion he has had a part to play in all the league goals we have conceded so far this season.

Not one of our more pressing problems imo,I think he looked good against Everton, played well against Derby and ok against Forest until the howler. Didn't see the Doncaster game.

His kicking is very poor and that is accentuated by the fact that Robinson's kicking is probably the best I've seen from a keeper.

He's a very good shot stopper though and I don't think he's as bad at crosses as people make out.

Also noticed he started distributing the ball very well against Forest by throwing it out, something I've not seen so much since the days of Roger Jones c40 years ago. He was superb at it could comfortably throw the old heavy ball into the opposition half with absolute accuracy.

Back to Kean, really don't see him as a problem at this stage unless he keeps making blunders.

• Backroom

Only seen him twice this season but he's been poor in both of those

Derby he made a couple of standard saves but flapped at crosses and was extremely lucky that their player was offside when he came out for no reason and got caught out

Against forest he flapped at most things again and the goal was ridiculous

Only seen him twice this season but he's been poor in both of those

Derby he made a couple of standard saves but flapped at crosses and was extremely lucky that their player was offside when he came out for no reason and got caught out

Against forest he flapped at most things again and the goal was ridiculous

No doubt he's had a dodgy start to the season, but I seem to remember a couple of the stops vs Derby were better than standard.

Thought he started to slip a bit towards the end of last season but results tended to be the priority over looking at individual performances. From what I've seen he is similar to Robinson, a decent shot stopper with positioning issues but Robbo is far better with goal kicks.

If Robinson has fully recovered from his blood clot and injury (and we can afford to play him) I think it's time he is considered for team selection.

I think Kean is a decent keeper, clearly lacking the experience that we probably need but as many have mentioned, is a good shot stopper.

I must say, he doesnt seem too confident to come and claim the ball and his kicking off the floor is a bit ropey with the ball often sailing out of play or onto a head and straight out because its too close to the sideline?

He will improve over time but another thing missing is someone bossing the area, one thing Robbo does, often heard his huge shouts in the area...

I think Kean is a decent keeper, clearly lacking the experience that we probably need but as many have mentioned, is a good shot stopper.

I must say, he doesnt seem too confident to come and claim the ball and his kicking off the floor is a bit ropey with the ball often sailing out of play or onto a head and straight out because its too close to the sideline?

He will improve over time but another thing missing is someone bossing the area, one thing Robbo does, often heard his huge shouts in the area...

Whilst we still have Paul Robinson here he should be No1 when fit no question. I think you would then see a better organised defense. You cant beat experience just ask some cougars :rover:

Good shot stopper and looks to have superb reflexes but has begun to dither a bit this season. I hope it's down to just rawness. Don't know whether it makes any difference but we had a decent experienced goalkeeping coach in Bobby Mimms who was replaced by the presumably cheaper Eastwood.

Good shot stopper and looks to have superb reflexes but has begun to dither a bit this season. I hope it's down to just rawness. Don't know whether it makes any difference but we had a decent experienced goalkeeping coach in Bobby Mimms who was replaced by the presumably cheaper Eastwood.

John Keeley is the GK coach. You're confusing him with Simon Eastwood, the back-up keeper.

against Notts forest he made a huge mistake not claiming the ball and we lost the game because of it

Disagree on this one personally. Maybe I need to see it again on TV but had a pretty good view of it from the Darwen End and to me Kean was put in a very difficult situation. They carved our defence over and floated a nice ball to Henderson, whoever it was in Hanley or Dann was caught flat-footed with no chance of getting back to block the shot. So Kean had the option of a one-on-one, or coming to collect a ball that I'd say the striker was about 5m closer to. He did his best, I didn't think he'd get there at all until a last second burst of speed, but the striker placed his body perfectly in the way and managed to get to his feet quicker. Personally I'd put that goal about 50% down to Forest, 40% down to our defence and 10% down to Kean.

Can't comment on Doncaster cause haven't seen it. Sounds like he had a stinker but all players do now and again. He looked solid against Derby and I thought he was fairly decent last season. In my opinion he certainly isn't our biggest problem at the moment.

To flap or not too flap? Even just having Robbo in training would help push Kean as Eastwood is never good enough for this level.

Should have signed the Polish guy, or got him on loan for another year (they've farmed him out again this season).

Not sure what happened there, as he wouldn't have broken the bank.

Should have signed the Polish guy, or got him on loan for another year (they've farmed him out again this season).

Not sure what happened there, as he wouldn't have broken the bank.

Aye that would have made more sense than signing a lad for a couple of years.

Trouble is I'm not sure common sense exists at Ewood anymore.

Villareal started well, 5th happy days!

Interesting. Robbo was dropped because his mobility was decreasing and he was struggling to get down for crosses. All those who're saying Robbo will be great need to remember he was dropped (initially) for footballing reasons. Added to which Kean kept us in the Donny game prior to his howler.

Truth be told they're very much of a muchness. Both flap and are poor coming out, but are good shot stoppers. In Kean's favor is that Robbo is slowing down and getting weaker at shot stopping, in Robbo's favor is experience and excellent kicking.

IF we could get Robbo to lose weight and get some of his agility back I'd go with him, if not, despite Kean's poor form we need to stick with him. Not sure it'll be a question now though as money talks so Robbo will get nowhere near the team.

Interesting. Robbo was dropped because his mobility was decreasing and he was struggling to get down for crosses. All those who're saying Robbo will be great need to remember he was dropped (initially) for footballing reasons. Added to which Kean kept us in the Donny game prior to his howler.

Truth be told they're very much of a muchness. Both flap and are poor coming out, but are good shot stoppers. In Kean's favor is that Robbo is slowing down and getting weaker at shot stopping, in Robbo's favor is experience and excellent kicking.

IF we could get Robbo to lose weight and get some of his agility back I'd go with him, if not, despite Kean's poor form we need to stick with him. Not sure it'll be a question now though as money talks so Robbo will get nowhere near the team.

I've always thought of Robbo as a confidence player, I can't imagine Rovers over the last few years has been the best environment for players of that ilk. They are fairly similiar but having the two together everyday in training would surely drive them on better as Eastwood is never going to play and so won't be pushing Kean day in day out. I think the Mimms comment is an interesting one as I know Robbo rated him as a coach and maybe Kealy is different.

On the weight issue (we have one or two like this) I'll never understand, I'm a professional athlete and I don't look after my body? For me that says so much about certain players mentally and the game itself that it's allowed and accepted.

Good grief, here I am defending the young goalie Jake Kean.

OK hes a young keeper who's made a couple of mistakes recently but hey, hes not the reason why Rovers are losing Suppose its now down to the quality of the goalkeeping coach, which must be under question after bringing Eastwood to Rovers along with the desire from Jake to improve, if, that is, the environment is right for the player to improve.

Have to ask what is J*B implying.

• Backroom

Eastwood is a player not a coach. You mean (John?) Keeley?

Archived