BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jake Keans Form

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kean strikes me as one of those keepers who's better when he's busy. Long periods stood doing nothing he seems to loose concentration a bit and tend to be in two minds when called upon in certain situations. This gives him a tendancey to flap or nearly do something erratic. Last season he was busy in every game and was a star, this season the teams a bit better so he's been less busy and a bit suspect. Probably just inexperience catching up with him a bit, hopefully he'll settle and minimise the mistakes and get the basics right.

Robbo is far better than Kean will ever be, Friedel past it now. Biggest error was not keeping the Polish guy from the back end of last season. We looked far more solid when he came in That said, defence in front of Kean is poor.

Robbo is far better than Kean will ever be, Friedel past it now. Biggest error was not keeping the Polish guy from the back end of last season. We looked far more solid when he came in That said, defence in front of Kean is poor.

I think the fee for Sandimierski was too high which is why we didn't sign him. He was good though.

I'm still unsure on Kean, but I don't think dropping him for Eastwood will help.

I think the fee for Sandimierski was too high which is why we didn't sign him. He was good though.

I'm still unsure on Kean, but I don't think dropping him for Eastwood will help.

But they've loaned him out again (to Dinamo Zagreb), so that must have been a possibility.

I'll be @#/? bricks the size of breeze-blocks when he plays for us at this level. 3rd choice never going to be more. With Robbo out and on good money can we justify another taking us to 4 GK's??

But they've loaned him out again (to Dinamo Zagreb), so that must have been a possibility.

Maybe they thought it better to loan him to a club who might actually be interested in signing him at the end of the season, also possible first team football guarantees?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what we can do. I would have liked to brought the Polish keeper back but no use going over all ground.....Given's wages would be high, anyone else about? My knowledge of back-up/third choice keepers isn't the best.

As has been pointed out, and not just recently, a goalkeeper's lack of confidence spreads throughout the defence. On current form, it looks like he'll cost us more than he'll win us so that can't continue.

Not sure if Gomes is still at Spurs but with the Europa League, I don't think Villas-Boas would allow Friedel to leave. Maybe a little half-season loan until Robbo is back?

Errm - he's a young keeper and is going to look like a young keeper for a while yet (see De Gea). Yeah he had a shaky start today and flapped at a cross later on but he also punched a couple of corners clear (never seen Robbo get anywhere near a cross) and if anyone thinks robinson would get down to that shot then i suggest a look at the highlights reel from the last 3 years...

Kean was nervous totay. The 1st minute clearance that almost ended up in the net must have made his blood boil (I know me too!!). Robo said on Sky Goals on Sunday recently that he would be fit by November but I'm not sure if he'd be any better. Kean is not the best on long shots and needs to work hard on keeping his concentration.

We've always been good in this position.

Soon I hope, Kean looked poor today, and with the error prone Scott Dann in front of him there are to many dodgy parts in our defence for my liking.

You watched a different game to me today ada, I thought defensively Scott Dann was outstanding. I'm not normally a fan of his but today I thought he had a great game.

Jake Kean is just a young keeper with great ability, currently lacking in confidence. Admittedly he flapped at a couple of crosses that a confident keeper of Kean's ability would normally have caught. Have you forgotten the great double save he made in the first half after 18 minutes when we were under the cosh? He should be lauded for that.

Robbo is no great keeper, even before his injury and unfortunate setback, he is no salvation. Brad great as he was, is a ludicrous solution, he's bloody as old as me almost. If we'd kept hold of Sandomierski, perhaps he could have alternated with Jake but we didn't. From what I've seen of Kean's current understudy, I'd rather stick with Jake and help him get his mojo back!

• Backroom

You watched a different game to me today ada, I thought defensively Scott Dann was outstanding. I'm not normally a fan of his but today I thought he had a great game.

Jake Kean is just a young keeper with great ability, currently lacking in confidence. Admittedly he flapped at a couple of crosses that a confident keeper of Kean's ability would normally have caught. Have you forgotten the great double save he made in the first half after 18 minutes when we were under the cosh? He should be lauded for that.

Robbo is no great keeper, even before his injury and unfortunate setback, he is no salvation. Brad great as he was, is a ludicrous solution, he's bloody as old as me almost. If we'd kept hold of Sandomierski, perhaps he could have alternated with Jake but we didn't. From what I've seen of Kean's current understudy, I'd rather stick with Jake and help him get his mojo back!

Great double save? Ok the second was good but he only had to make it because he couldn't hold a simple shot the first time

Great double save? Ok the second was good but he only had to make it because he couldn't hold a simple shot the first time

Disagree Tom, far from simple, I suggest you watch it again. That wasn't the point I was trying to make though as you probably well know.

I'm not one to be overly critical without having a viable, alternative. In the keeping stakes we don't have one IMO. Goalkeeping's all about confidence, not just shot stopping. It's about what you do when you've time to think about matters. Jake Kean has the physique and natural ability, he needs help from us all with his head. He's a young lad.

• Backroom

And that is where Kean has shown his main weakness, when he has a decision to make he often makes the wrong one he's shown some very David James like habits

Like you said though until Robbo is back we don't have a viable alternative so have to hope his form picks up

And that is where Kean has shown his main weakness, when he has a decision to make he often makes the wrong one he's shown some very David James like habits

Like you said though until Robbo is back we don't have a viable alternative so have to hope his form picks up

Unfortunately Tom, I don't see Robbo as an alternative. He's a poor keeper IMO and suffers terminally professionally, particularly from the confidence factor. His positional sense is poor, he doesn't command his 6 yard box, never kills play by catching a cross, is unfit and drops like a sack of spuds from a shot from 25/30 yards from goal. That's before his unfortunate back injury and added complication of an embolism!

I wish Robbo well but he ain't our alternative solution IMO. Jake Kean needs an arm round his shoulder and cajoling. He has great potential and the likes of Frank Fielding weren't allowed to leave without reason.

He did have a very shaky day today and I was nervous whenever he was called upon.

However, that said he only conceded once and from a good finish.

In my opinion, a fit Robbo is head and shoulders above Jake at ths stage.

He's just hitting peak age for a GK, has all of the experience you'd want and, in my opinion, has been mainly fantastic for us.

If Jake continues to work hard and improve, his time will come.

Af fit Robbo is head and shoulders above Kean

At this moment that is true.

Problem is Baz when's Robbo ever likely to be fit?

I also disagree regarding his abilities compared with Kean.

Let me know what your thoughts are regarding Robbo and Kean and why you think he's head and shoulders above coz I just don't see it. I don't think Kean's currently any great shakes btw.

Archived