BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It amazes me the number of people who wanted £8 million spending elsewhere .

Truth is last summer we had spent nearly £15 mill on players long before Rhodes was even considered .

We have spent this summer and will spend the next two summers suffering because of it .

If it had been no Rhodes , then the money would not have been spent elsewhere .

We would probably be in league 1.

Our eggs were all on Leon Best and he has scored a hatful , :-/

The £8 mill on Rhodes ensured we was not relegated , had we not bought Rhodes last season then Venky's would be £8 million Richer , and those accounts would not be the only thing of worry .

If he continues scoring the goals which he has throughout his career to date , then quite frankly he is priceless to Rovers , as his goals are the difference between us being 12th or bottom 3.

Nothing about Venky's signings in 3 years suggest we would be better off without Rhodes and £8 million to waste on more duck eggs

I don't understand why it was Rhodes or nobody?

Also you cannot simply lift Rhodes' goals out of the team and say we would have gone down. Even Venkys would not play with 10, someone would have played in his place. Now it's highly likely that the replacement would not have scored the amount of goals Rhodes did, but it's also possible that he would have contributed to making us a better team. Football is not as black and white regarding goals scored, the game has moved on.

How often does King play directly up top with Rhodes? What game(s) are you basing the above counter attacking example on? I've only ever seen King play on the wing, every so often coming inside - his position is still attacking midfield left/right though.

And I'm fairly sure getting assists breeds confidence which makes for a better and more motivated player.

He has played up top in the final moments of some home games this year and at Carlisle. You can instantly see the improvement on the break with his pace.

Not quite sure i agree with your more motivated player statement. Better players make players play better.

Maybe Gaz needs to drop him to the bench for the next home game, not good to have any player, thinking he's a shoe-in

for a starting place every week.

Especially when their performance level seems to have dropped a little, bring him on for last 30 mins.

Not so much cutting your nose off to spite your face, but rather gouging your eyes out, as well.

I don't understand why it was Rhodes or nobody?

Also you cannot simply lift Rhodes' goals out of the team and say we would have gone down. Even Venkys would not play with 10, someone would have played in his place. Now it's highly likely that the replacement would not have scored the amount of goals Rhodes did, but it's also possible that he would have contributed to making us a better team. Football is not as black and white regarding goals scored, the game has moved on.

Based on the rest of our spending that summer, is that a bet you'd be willing to make?

I take it you thought he played well on Saturday then Rev? Clearly, a unique player who doesn't need to improve the things he is poor at. All players need to work on their weaknesses and Rhodes is no different.

Priorities though PB. We have other players who need to improve first, before we start picking holes in Rhodes' game.

Fergie regularly dropped his star players to the bench, if he thought their performance level had dropped,

worked pretty well for him for 20 odd years at Man U.

He also managed one of the biggest clubs in world football and had a competitive squad of players to choose from.

And drop him for who? Best? A big-time Charlie who isn't happy here and has a worse strike rate than Jason Roberts?

• Backroom

He has played up top in the final moments of some home games this year and at Carlisle. You can instantly see the improvement on the break with his pace.

Not quite sure i agree with your more motivated player statement. Better players make players play better.

Or perhaps better players just make lesser players less visible and less responsible, thus making them seem better than they are.

To put it into context, Lowe isn't a better player when Cairney and Evans are on the pitch. He's just less noticeable. Take one or both out and he's still the same old Jason Lowe.

Not so much cutting your nose off to spite your face, but rather gouging your eyes out, as well.

Based on the rest of our spending that summer, is that a bet you'd be willing to make?

I wouldn't bet anything where our idiotic owners are concerned, but it's not in the realms of fantasy to suggest there are many strikers out there who could have made us a better team, goals aside. If memory serves me correctly we only scored 55, with over 2/3's of teams scoring more goals than us. Personally i think you could get 2/3 players that would get you past 60 goals for what Rhodes cost us. I must add i do like him, but his limitations are glaring.

Or perhaps better players just make lesser players less visible and less responsible, thus making them seem better than they are.

To put it into context, Lowe isn't a better player when Cairney and Evans are on the pitch. He's just less noticeable. Take one or both out and he's still the same old Jason Lowe.

Less noticeable that he has got MOM 2/3 times at home this year??? Lowe has without question improved this year, probably through a mixture of hard work, having better players alongside him and sheer good luck.

He also managed one of the biggest clubs in world football and had a competitive squad of players to choose from.

And drop him for who? Best? A big-time Charlie who isn't happy here and has a worse strike rate than Jason Roberts?

How about King with Dunny ? If fit

Replace Dunny when he's knackered after 55-60 mins with Rhodes.

dropping rhodes is not the best idea imo. next time he's having a mare, sub him.

I think there's a temptation to leave Rhodes on, because he's the one guy you want on the end of a half-chance. I do agree he shouldn't be above being taken off, but again, it comes back to our lack of alternatives. Best & Campbell have done nothing here other than get their asses sent off, and King looked hopeless as a lone striker against the mighty Carlisle.

We have back-to-back home games coming up now. Have King, Marshall/Taylor, Rhodes & Dunn as a four-pronged attack, with Lowe & Cairney sitting deep, and Rhodes will surely be back among the goals. This football management lark is easy.

I think there's a temptation to leave Rhodes on, because he's the one guy you want on the end of a half-chance. I do agree he shouldn't be above being taken off, but again, it comes back to our lack of alternatives. Best & Campbell have done nothing here other than get their asses sent off, and King looked hopeless as a lone striker against the mighty Carlisle.

We have back-to-back home games coming up now. Have King, Marshall/Taylor, Rhodes & Dunn as a four-pronged attack, with Lowe & Cairney sitting deep, and Rhodes will surely be back among the goals. This football management lark is easy.

I look at it like this. If my boss told me he was sending out a rookie to do my role because of one bad day given all my previous strong performances, well I'd laugh in his face. Rhodes will then ask why Kean still plays, Kane and others who've had more bad days than him? And I have one and I'm dropped? I don't think at this present time I'd be wanting to risk that conversation. Many people have commented on him 'looking less interested' or some such simlar comment who've watched (no pun). But I can't help but wonder if JR is beginning to think that promotion is beyond us this season? Hence not being as 'interested' on the pitch.

And you're right what have the alternatives done to earn their place? Punched people, been sent off, entered the pitch illegally etc etc. Next time he's playing bad, sub him and tell, there's no excuse and he will know that. Get in the head of the sub, motivate him and if he goes on and does well, well then you have a reason, a real reason, one that he should accept.

Actually that line-up looks pretty good at home if he starts with it.

But I still say no ' shoe-ins ' for a place in any team, if he looks like he is anything but on top of his game - drop him !

I look at it like this. If my boss told me he was sending out a rookie to do my role because of one bad day given all my previous strong performances, well I'd laugh in his face. Rhodes will then ask why Kean still plays, Kane and others who've had more bad days than him? And I have one and I'm dropped? I don't think at this present time I'd be wanting to risk that conversation. Many people have commented on him 'looking less interested' or some such simlar comment who've watched (no pun). But I can't help but wonder if JR is beginning to think that promotion is beyond us this season? Hence not being as 'interested' on the pitch.

And you're right what have the alternatives done to earn their place? Punched people, been sent off, entered the pitch illegally etc etc. Next time he's playing bad, sub him and tell, there's no excuse and he will know that. Get in the head of the sub, motivate him and if he goes on and does well, well then you have a reason, a real reason, one that he should accept.

Might keep you hungry and on your toes though ! :unsure:

what would you guys think if you were the top scorer in the league and you were dropped? also consider what those who will replace him have done to date. also consider others form and they play. I reckon rhodes wouldn't be very happy about it at all.

He'd only be on the bench, not the transfer list.

Oh I see you've dived in without reading where we started properly Rev.

What got my back up was the article that claims Jordan Rhodes has been worth every penny, and that just about every Rovers fan would admit that. The fact is that I bloody wouldn't agree with that, and neither would many on here.

http://www.ftbpro.co...&team=Blackburn

The debate was that whilst Rhodes is a very decent finisher (we all know), he also has massive flaws to his game (we all know, many choose to ignore it). My argument always has and always will be that we irrationally spent a huge amount of money last season on PL has-beens looking for a last payout, and more importantly, overpaid massively for a tart-liner (as decent as he is in front of goal).

Given the financial peril we faced, and the complete catastrophe of a squad/management team at that time, my suggestion was that to kean £8m away on a striker incapable of playing as alone striker was a bit fooking stupid. Agreed?

What your problem is Rev, is that you think all of this is placed solely at the feet of JR. He's only partially to blame, but as he cost us a record transfer fee and can do no wrong to those with particularly JR tinted spectacles on, he is bound to be discussed the most. Oh, and he's not scoring - so we're bound to discuss him. Just like we discuss Kean when he drops a bollock.

You can shift the blame around the midfield all you like (I know that much of your vitriol will be aimed at Lowe), but until I see Rhodes start to apply himself properly, he will receive as much grief from me as the rest of them do.

Disclaimer: No one here has claimed Rhodes is a bad player or the reason we are not going to go up - merely I am stating that improvements are possible from a player who cost us £8m and hasn't scored in open play since about mid-september.

When did Rhodes score against Watford? Wouldn't have thought that was mid September?

We've had what, five games in which he hasn't scored from open play. In one of those games he scored a penalty, (didn't realise those didn't count any more) and in two of the games a player got himself needlessly sent off. Apart from Rhodes we've hardly been prolific scoring only 3? goals apart from his penalty, so we've hardly been prolific. When was Evans injured exactly, I'd wager our bad run coincides largely with that.

I would also disagree completely with your assertion that JR doesn't apply himself. I haven't been to any away games this season but at home games I see a player who works his socks off and never stops moving and making runs despite the fact we invariably fail to pick him out. Whilst I can believe he has had certain games where he's been fairly ineffective I find it hard to accept that a player who works so hard during home games is simply failing to put in a shift on away days.

As I've pointed out before many times, what we paid for him is relatively inconsequential at this point as it didn't have any bearing on what was spent (and wasted) on other areas of the team last year and the price only becomes an issue if we end up selling him at a big loss at any point.

M

Priorities though PB. We have other players who need to improve first, before we start picking holes in Rhodes' game.

When we are playing with one up front it is one of the priorities that the player in that position can do what would be expected of someone in that role. Nobody is saying that given an opportunity Rhodes won't score more than most. However, he also HAS to do other things in that role, particularly away from home, and these are the areas of his game that needs to improve. If he wants to play international football on a regular basis he will have to improve these areas and if wants a move to the Premier League he will have to improve these areas.

When we are playing with one up front it is one of the priorities that the player in that position can do what would be expected of someone in that role. Nobody is saying that given an opportunity Rhodes won't score more than most. However, he also HAS to do other things in that role, particularly away from home, and these are the areas of his game that needs to improve. If he wants to play international football on a regular basis he will have to improve these areas and if wants a move to the Premier League he will have to improve these areas.

Surely nobody would disagree with this post !

If we had some quality goal scoring midfielders then I wouldn't have a problem with Rhodes being replaced with a 6 foot 5, built like a brick keanhouse striker who can hold the ball up and get them involved. But we don't, the midfield quality at Rovers both offensively and defensively is pretty poor. It's not like you can make every midfielder score goals for fun, they either have that ability or they don't.

I take it you thought he played well on Saturday then Rev? Clearly, a unique player who doesn't need to improve the things he is poor at. All players need to work on their weaknesses and Rhodes is no different.

Wasn't there Parson so can't comment on Saturday in isolation. I'm sure he wasn't the only player who had an off day though. What I would say though in general is that people seem to want Rhodes to play in a way which is not playing to his strengths. He is not Jason Roberts or Shefki Kuqi (thank god) nor should anyone expect him to be.

If you've got a player who if you slide him in with a ball to run on to or if you provide him with a chance will invariably score, that's an asset that can't be underestimated and one you should play to. The time to worry would be if you had someone who had nothing to his all round game who wasn't good at converting the chances that came his way either.

Truth is last summer we had spent nearly £15 mill on players long before Rhodes was even considered .

We have spent this summer and will spend the next two summers suffering because of it .

The £8 mill on Rhodes ensured we was not relegated , had we not bought Rhodes last season then Venky's would be £8 million Richer , and those accounts would not be the only thing of worry .

If he continues scoring the goals which he has throughout his career to date , then quite frankly he is priceless to Rovers , as his goals are the difference between us being 12th or bottom 3.

Nothing about Venky's signings in 3 years suggest we would be better off without Rhodes and £8 million to waste on more duck eggs

I don't often agree with what you post but I think the above is a superb post which absolutely nails and puts the Rhodes argument to bed in one.

I'm sure some people will ignore the factual elements of what you've written and continue to argue the toss though.

Just to introduce a bit of sanity the current leaders of our division are Burnley. How much have they spent?

Archived