BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

He ain't Josh King but he ain't Goodwillie either. I don't think he is actually very quick but tbh I don't see him as being slow either. Certainly not slow enough to be detrimental to the team. And while he isn't blistering, his movement in and around the box (or the amazing anticipation he has) probably gives him an automatic half-yard on most defenders.

Good strikers like Rhodes have a sort of a sixth sense enabling them to be in the right place at the right time which is more important than raw pace per se.

As for Rhodes pace or lack of it, he isn't lightning but I can only think of Bellamy, Shearer before his first knee injury and King as players we've ever had in forty odd years who were frighteningly quick.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The premiership these days is no place for purely a 'goal poacher'. I agree that Rhodes wouldn't be as effective in a mid/lower table PL team where chances are limited. Obviously if he played for City or Arsenal he would get more chances to go on, but they would expect more all-round game.

However, given the shocking level of defending in the championship, there is always space for a 25 goal a year man that can make the difference between play-offs or not. So i'm more than happy to have him playing for Rovers for as long as possible.

• Backroom

The premiership these days is no place for purely a 'goal poacher'. I agree that Rhodes wouldn't be as effective in a mid/lower table PL team where chances are limited. Obviously if he played for City or Arsenal he would get more chances to go on, but they would expect more all-round game.

However, given the shocking level of defending in the championship, there is always space for a 25 goal a year man that can make the difference between play-offs or not. So i'm more than happy to have him playing for Rovers for as long as possible.

That leaves the puzzle of keeping him in the event we went up.

• Backroom

He isn't quick but the majority of the time it doesn't matter as he's smart enough and good enough to get a shot off early

It does let him down at times though for example the good chance in the last minute would have been easier for a pacier forward as the defender caught him and forced him to take it early when he possibly didn't want to however the pacier types are often the ones that lack the class to finish anyway

• Backroom

He isn't quick but the majority of the time it doesn't matter as he's smart enough and good enough to get a shot off early

It does let him down at times though for example the good chance in the last minute would have been easier for a pacier forward as the defender caught him and forced him to take it early when he possibly didn't want to however the pacier types are often the ones that lack the class to finish anyway

If I had the choice between putting King or Rhodes up front I know who I'd pick.

From a different era I know but Bobby Moore used to say that the first couple of yards are in your head. He was probably the finest reader of the game I have ever seen. Similarly Jordan Rhodes isn't the quickest but his ability to be in the right place to sniff out a chance is an asset that you cannot coach. His work rate in the last few games has been exceptional. I'm not really sure what else he can do to convince the doubters.

• Backroom

If I had the choice between putting King or Rhodes up front I know who I'd pick.

And if I had the choice of putting King or Rhodes on the wing I know who I'd pick :P

I'd certainly rather a Rhodes over a Pongolle type who had bags of pace but couldn't finish

From a different era I know but Bobby Moore used to say that the first couple of yards are in your head. He was probably the finest reader of the game I have ever seen. Similarly Jordan Rhodes isn't the quickest but his ability to be in the right place to sniff out a chance is an asset that you cannot coach. His work rate in the last few games has been exceptional. I'm not really sure what else he can do to convince the doubters.

Agree totally.. there are allot of out and out goalscorers throughout football history that really have made a mark, they all had the ability to pop up at the right time and score and many of them didn't contribute much beyond goals to most peoples eyes (though I tend to argue they made more space for others and mentally tired enough defenders to make a massive difference).

Funny thing is I am sure a fair few of these people who slate Rhodes love Rochina who does not have the scoring ability, is far more selfish and often gives the ball away left right and center.

I do wonder sometimes if some players purposely don't seem to be uninterested to lull defenders into a false sense of security.. seen Rhodes a few times go through a lethargic spell then suddenly pop up in a goal scoring spot.

I also believe people underestimate how difficult it is for him, he is one of the top scorers in the league and consistently scorers, he is bound to be the target for opposition in every game.

Strachan is correct on Rhodes, basically echoing all those who know their football on here in saying he's not yet good enough to play at the highest level. It's good news for us of course, which means top-flight club will have continue to have doubts about buying him, but also reiterates that having a brilliant goalscorer is no guarantee of success for the team. Rhodes needs to improve vastly yet if he is to fulfill his ambitions.

yeah but scotland are a kean team and JR is surely good enough for them !

• Backroom

I'm still not seeing this 'slating' of him more like anytime someone mentions something about his game that would make him even better than he is they get called a hater or similarly daft things

He is clearly an amazing talent and by far our biggest asset and we are reaping the benefits of a manager playing to his strengths now and I don't think I've seen anyone suggest otherwise (other than one troll I banned)

On Tuesday I said to a mate I was sat with and on twitter that his finishing had been poor but you know almost without doubt he will now pop up and do what he does - and he did, that's a rare luxury but some games will require a little more ugly hustle and bustle and he is starting to show he is capable of that now which is all people thought he may be lacking

Strachan's talking absolute nonsense imo, he is obviously coming under pressure in certain quarters to select Rhodes and is desperately trying to justify his own (wrong) decision. If Rhodes wss fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of 30 decent crosses per game he'd score around 20 more often than not.

I take completely the opposite view to Strachan on Rhodes, if you're a side like Scotland that struggles to create chances then a striker that needs ten chances to score a goal is no use to you whatsoever. You need a striker like Rhodes who only needs one or two chances more than ever.

Still if Strachan wants to keep leaving out arguably his best player and carry on losing games that's his prerogative. I suppose it's good for Rovers he keeps getting left out because he's less chance of getting injured. Shame for the player himself though.

It also makes me laugh when Strachan speaks condescendingly about JR's goals being at a lower level. It's one he couldn't cope with at Boro.

When you say "many" I think you mean "vociferous minority".

A 30 goal a season international striker would not be playing for BRFC in the second div if he didn't have major weaknesses and thats that.

Strachan has completely painted himself into a corner on Rhodes by being so publicly and overtly critical of him. (Unfairly and needlessly so imo)

He can hardly pick Rhodes now whilst he remains at Blackburn Rovers. He has already more or less said that scoring goals in a Mickey Mouse League (the Championship) doesn't count. Of course we all know that if Rhodes remained exactly the same player and hypothetically was transferred tomorrow to Liverpool or Manchester United, his perceived flaws would be ignored and he'd suddenly become the first name on Strachan's teamsheet.

The same might happen if he moves to a Premiership Club in January. It might be the only way out of an embarrassing situation for Strachan on whom pressure will no doubt build and build as his results get worse and worse. Not because of Rhodes inclusion or omission per se but because the side as a whole is poor.

You need to consider that Gordon Strachan will have forgotten more about football than you and I will ever know Rev.

Because the spine of the team has been woefully weak since Vieira, Campbell, Toure, Henry, Gilberto and Bergkamp all went seriously downhill/departed. Oh, and Seaman retired.

PL teams don't play poachers, end of.

Cept Fulham but he really is a cut above..... and they are currently in a relegation place! Remarkeably similar story to us last season. I wonder if Fulham mboards have threads parallelling this one?

Judging by our team last season I think we can safely say we'd have been screwed without Rhodes' goals - who realistically would have stepped up to the mark? I genuinely can't think of a single player, because the rest of the squad were by and large absolutely woeful last year and in many games a complete embarrassment. Obviously changing managers every few months didn't help, but Jordan is one of the few players who consistently did his job despite everything going on.

Firstly I am a huge Rhodes fan - however I think some fans ignore the impact that last season his inability to hold up the ball had on the team as a whole, or that his lack of pace meant that teams could play a high line and pressurise us. Maybe , just maybe - a portion of the £8m spent on a quick striker and a more physical striker MAY have meant that the team as a whole played better - and just maybe we would have created more chances as a result - and been less exposed defensively ?

TBH we will never know - but you can't ignore the overall impact on the team. Not that any of this was Rhodes fault - as a team the service he received was awful - my argument is that in a team like this a different type of striker may have helped the team overall.

We should be thanking Wee Gordie for not picking Rhodes. Less chance of getting injured or of being snapped up by someone else if he doesn't play. Long may it continue. I can see why he doesn't get a start as well from the way Scotland have played under Strachen. Saying that doesn't make me a Rhodes hater by the way, square pegs in round holes don't fit, as we well know.

• Backroom

Firstly I am a huge Rhodes fan - however I think some fans ignore the impact that last season his inability to hold up the ball had on the team as a whole, or that his lack of pace meant that teams could play a high line and pressurise us. Maybe , just maybe - a portion of the £8m spent on a quick striker and a more physical striker MAY have meant that the team as a whole played better - and just maybe we would have created more chances as a result - and been less exposed defensively ?

TBH we will never know - but you can't ignore the overall impact on the team. Not that any of this was Rhodes fault - as a team the service he received was awful - my argument is that in a team like this a different type of striker may have helped the team overall.

I very much doubt it based on the team we had last year. All that would have happened is we would have scored less IMO and possibly gone down.

You're right though, we'll never know for sure. Fact is Bowyer seems to be building the side to accommodate Rhodes rather than isolate him, and Jordan himself seems to be improving in other aspects of his game too... so overall, positive progress :)

A 30 goal a season international striker would not be playing for BRFC in the second div if he didn't have major weaknesses and thats that.

You need to consider that Gordon Strachan will have forgotten more about football than you and I will ever know Rev.

Cept Fulham but he really is a cut above..... and they are currently in a relegation place! Remarkeably similar story to us last season. I wonder if Fulham mboards have threads parallelling this one?

Berbatov? Seen him play some great football coming deep to the half way line for united, one of the most skilful strikers in the league!

I think he's talking about Darren Bent.

People say Rhodes would score in the Prem...well he would I agree, Le Fondre got 14 I think last year. Hernandez would get around 20 and he's just Rhodes with pace.

That's what I think anyway. But managers want more. Which is why the three other players mentioned above mostly sat on the bench last year.

Rhodes is young and will work on his all-round game, enough imo to play in the Prem one day.

Now we're playing to his strengths I fail to see why people still discuss him. He has shortcomings, yes. Would he be here if he didn't? No. Is it currently a detriment on our team? No, not really.

Yes he can approve, same goes for pretty much everyone. But he knows that, and the staff know that. Just let them get on with it and enjoy his goals while we can as he might not be here for much longer.

Berbatov? Seen him play some great football coming deep to the half way line for united, one of the most skilful strikers in the league!

Correct OJ. Sublime skills.

As for Darren Bent ................ ffs Salgado! the only person he is a cut above is Jason Roberts!

The comments made about Scotland needing to put 30 crosses into the box is idiotic at best, for one he doesn't need that many chances plus we hardly have a brilliant supply to him especially last year. Plus the fact a lot of his goals come from counter attacks were there is still a lot to do.

He can finish with both feet, is good in the air, can hold up the ball and has exceptional movement. He might not win you the ball back or make himself a nuisance to defenders but if he did that it would take the poacher instinct out of his game so I for one hope he doesn't change his style.

The club would be up dickies meadow without Rhodes

God forbid, if Rhodes got injured you might well see us plummet.

This is why we still walk a tightrope IMO between a decent season and a potentially catastrophic one. All of our eggs in one Jordan Rhodes shaped basket.

God forbid, if Rhodes got injured you might well see us plummet.

This is why we still walk a tightrope IMO between a decent season and a potentially catastrophic one. All of our eggs in one Jordan Rhodes shaped basket.

Not many Championship teams would have backup of DJ Campbell and Leon Best or the option of playing Dunn/Rochina if their main striker got injured. It wouldn't be the end of the world. Some other players need to step up and score the goals.

I'd say it's more likely that the misspent money in other areas of the team and club had a much bigger effect on the way the team played.

Archived