BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

TBH, couldn't given a toss whether he plays for Scotland or not. as long as he's playing for Rovers and scoring the goals to get us challenging for promotion.

Ah yes, but can he still score whilst standing on his head, tying his balls in a knot, and singing Tom Lehrer's "The Elements"?

If he can't, then I'd rather have Kuqi back.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes, but can he still score whilst standing on his head, tying his balls in a knot, and singing Tom Lehrer's "The Elements"?If he can't, then I'd rather have Kuqi back.

Well me may need a plan B anyway, BBC sport website saying that Rhodes has pulled out of Scotland squad for next weeks international. Doesnt say why though. May well be a bit light front against the hill trolls.

Ah yes, but can he still score whilst standing on his head, tying his balls in a knot, and singing Tom Lehrer's "The Elements"?

If he can't, then I'd rather have Kuqi back.

Shefki and Rhodes could work!!! Shefki to head the ball on and generally barge people out of the way, Rhodes to get on the end of Shefki's original shot which was going about 10 yards wide but turned out to be a good pass!

Well me may need a plan B anyway, BBC sport website saying that Rhodes has pulled out of Scotland squad for next weeks international. Doesnt say why though. May well be a bit light front against the hill trolls.

Hand injury apparently. Probably hurt it carrying his wages to the bank.

Strachan is a highly overrated manager- average at best. I don't care what he thinks. And even if he was a top manager whose opinion I respected, it wouldn't make me just defy what is blatantly obvious. Even the likes of Alex Ferguson drop awful clangers sometimes, so the suggestion that Strachan's opinion of him 'confirms' the opinions of others is frankly daft. No offence Theno.

Incidentally, apart from Celtic I wouldn't say Strachan's managerial record is that impressive.

Recently, with Scotland P6 W2 D 0 L4.

Before that with Boro P46 W13 D13 L20.

Historically going back some time at Coventry P125 W70 D56 L89 and at Southampton P110 W39 D32 L39.

Still rather more impressive than the many self appointed experts who write on this board - myself included. I think I would take his opinion as being based on rather more professional grounds than those who seem to watch the game through 'blue & white' tinted specs. We have all, as supporters, been guilty of it from time to time. For me Rhodes scores goals when others create chances for him. He has looked good in the last two home games when plenty of chances came his way. However, the point Strachan makes, and many, including myself, have tried to make on here is that when you don't have a great deal of possession in games he can become a luxury. There were a number of away games last season when he contributed very little because we were having to defend in depth and he became isolated from the rest of the team. In those games you need a guy up front who will fight for possession and hold the ball up or at least make runs in the channels for long balls to be fed to him. These are all aspects of his game that still require work. Nobody would deny that in the right team, with the right service, he will score goals. But, similarly, nobody can surely deny that he is not the complete centre-forward. He's certainly no Shearer and certainly no Fred Pickering.

This thread has to go down as one of the most bonkers threads ever to grace this messageboard.

The lads scores goals, WHATS THE DEBATE? :wacko:

Of course he is good enough but you need to think with a long head. My point is that he could be so much better if he applied himself to improving / rectifying the big weaknesses in his game..... and they are big! Sure a bigger club in the Prem would buy him but effectively that is the only way that we can make a profit from signing him in the first place which believe it or not is what modern football is about. If at 24 we are seeing a JR as good as he's ever going to be then it's a crying shame for us, him and his agent.

Enjoy the present, at least we can all take comfort in the fact that Jordan Rhodes puts the ball into the opponents net more times than most.

Afterall this is only his second season step up so the lad is doing fine.

Of course he is good enough but you need to think with a long head. My point is that he could be so much better if he applied himself to improving / rectifying the big weaknesses in his game..... and they are big! Sure a bigger club in the Prem would buy him but effectively that is the only way that we can make a profit from signing him in the first place which believe it or not is what modern football is about. If at 24 we are seeing a JR as good as he's ever going to be then it's a crying shame for us, him and his agent.

I'm inclined to agree Theno, I also understand that he's well aware of his 'weaknesses' and that there is not a more dedicated individual in working to overcome them.

The one aspect of his game that he's never going to improve is pace, however thankfully he has the uncanny knack of knowing where the net is and is extremely level headed. For now that's more than good enough for me.

Just read that he's been released from the Scotland squad due to "injury". Apparantly it's his hand. Trying not to panic ahead of next Saturday because it seems likely that they are just saving on an air fare as Strachen doesn't rate him and he doesn't seem to be in his plans for the starting XI. Maybe the hand injury is down to him smacking the annoying ginger git.

Andrew Cryer @andrew_cryer 16h

You will all be glad to know - well rovers fans anyway - rhodes will be fine for saturday, confirmed.

I never doubted that he would be if the hand injury was the one got playing Bolton. He came back on after a few mins didn't he?

I suspect that Strachan really does not see JR fitting into the plans of a weaker footballing nation that cannot afford to field as many attacking options in international football that we are doing in the championship and there has been a frank discussion and parting of the ways. Who knows whether this is permanent or temporary but if we see a dose of anger and a hardening of attitude it might just serve to pep up Rhodes's all round game.

I rem Shearer's attitude changing after getting beaten by the tyre kickers of Trelleborg. He came back from that humiliation with an attitude like a man possessed. He was bloody good before but absolutely brilliant when he came back.... and the rest as they say is history. :rover:

Speaking of history.... Anybody need brightening up and to any younger ones who don't remember ...... Cursor down to the seasons results and particularly Shearers contribution. 19 years ago.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%9395_Blackburn_Rovers_F.C._season

Rhodes is a striker and he scores goals. What more needs to be said? Would you slate a centre half who doesn't take penalties?

Thats a very naive viewpoint imo Al. More relevant would be "Rhodes is a striker and he scores goals..... in Englands Second Division, The Championship."

Bloody hell, even Jal is positive about him. I take that as more proof than anything Strachan says! I sometimes wonder if Jal is one of the harbingers of the apocalypse.

Often wonder what we would all be saying about Simon Garner had the internet been around back then.

Its disappointing to hear of negative stories regarding Leon Best coming out, when team GB has Best, Rhodes and DJ competing for places. This should have been a healthy enough selection of forwards to choose from providing that is everyone is pulling in the same direction.

Good job you weren't manager when Simon Garner was around Gordon, he'd never have got a game!

Isn't Garner the proof that having someone in a team that can score 25 goals a season (not that Garner ever did), doesn't make a winning team? SG never won anything did he? In fact when he went on the transfer list, no-one came for him.

Now before we start the "slagging off Garner now" comments, doesn't this just illustrate that to be a successful team, you need a squad whereby you can put out 11 players who all contribute week in, week out, home and away?

Isn't Garner the proof that having someone in a team that can score 25 goals a season (not that Garner ever did), doesn't make a winning team? SG never won anything did he? In fact when he went on the transfer list, no-one came for him.

Now before we start the "slagging off Garner now" comments, doesn't this just illustrate that to be a successful team, you need a squad whereby you can put out 11 players who all contribute week in, week out, home and away?

Simon Garner won my life-long gratitude, for the goals he scored against Burnley. It may not be much in the grand scheme of things, but it is precious in my world.

Archived