BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

Isn't Garner the proof that having someone in a team that can score 25 goals a season (not that Garner ever did), doesn't make a winning team? SG never won anything did he? In fact when he went on the transfer list, no-one came for him.

Now before we start the "slagging off Garner now" comments, doesn't this just illustrate that to be a successful team, you need a squad whereby you can put out 11 players who all contribute week in, week out, home and away?

Again I'd say it was much more of a case of the other players not being up to it rather than Garner Den, although I think Garner is a more realistic comparison to make than Shearer/ Rush etc.

There are fairly obvious reasons why no-one at top flight level took a punt on Garner and I would say Rhodes is far more consistent with his effort and goalscoring and therefore in the long run a lot more prolific with his goalscoring.

That's not to knock Garner, he was by far the pick of the bunch most of the time.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Thats a very naive viewpoint imo Al. More relevant would be "Rhodes is a striker and he scores goals..... in Englands Second Division, The Championship."

Being a prolific striker in the second tier of professional football at such a young age is hardly something to sneer at, is it?

Thats a very naive viewpoint imo Al. More relevant would be "Rhodes is a striker and he scores goals..... in Englands Second Division, The Championship."

That's where he plays. That's where he scores. You can only play the opposition you are up against. As long as he scores for Rovers I can ask no more.

I never doubted that he would be if the hand injury was the one got playing Bolton. He came back on after a few mins didn't he?

I suspect that Strachan really does not see JR fitting into the plans of a weaker footballing nation that cannot afford to field as many attacking options in international football that we are doing in the championship and there has been a frank discussion and parting of the ways. Who knows whether this is permanent or temporary but if we see a dose of anger and a hardening of attitude it might just serve to pep up Rhodes's all round game.

I rem Shearer's attitude changing after getting beaten by the tyre kickers of Trelleborg. He came back from that humiliation with an attitude like a man possessed. He was bloody good before but absolutely brilliant when he came back.... and the rest as they say is history. :rover:

Speaking of history.... Anybody need brightening up and to any younger ones who don't remember ...... Cursor down to the seasons results and particularly Shearers contribution. 19 years ago.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%9395_Blackburn_Rovers_F.C._season

That's exactly what I thought. And yes, he did get a hand injury in 2nd half against Bolton, I think it got stood on in the box iirc.

I think after reading those comments from Strachan, it mysteriously suddenly flared up again, I think in his shoes, I'd probably have done the same.

For what it's worth, I thought his all round play had definitely improved in the last couple of games, especially with Dunn playing behind him. There seemed to be a lot more knock downs and chasing down the channels. If, as has been reported, he's actively working on this aspect of his game, then fair play to the lad. Let's cut him a bit of slack, see how this develops and just enjoy the fact that the guy knows how to find the back of the net!

I see Coyle and Whelan are again trying to unsettle our goal machine again by using the media.

its time that Wigan shut the hell up and stop trying to unsettle Rhodes. Rovers and Bowyer have always said he's not for sale.

he look very happy yesterday and he defo understood how massive yesterday game was to the fans. his celebration of goal was class and he always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

The whole derby atmosphere and history cannot be recreated at Wigan. They're pretty new to the higher levels of the game (I believe), and they're playing the town's second sport. And St. Helens doesn't even have a football club worth mentioning. Moving to Wigan Athletic would probably be like moving to Dubai or Singapore to an extent-good facilities, well run but lacking in thath something called soul.

Funny actually, as on the teletext thing on BBC it said it was Crystal Palace seeking such a dea this morningl, and then the website seems to have changed it to Wigan.

May have misread it though.

Archived