BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

Not many Championship teams would have backup of DJ Campbell and Leon Best or the option of playing Dunn/Rochina if their main striker got injured. It wouldn't be the end of the world. Some other players need to step up and score the goals.

I'm not overly convinced by Best - I think you have to make him angry to get the best out of him. A bit like Allardyce did with Roberts (remember Newcastle away - he came on in a temper and scored the winner). I wonder whether Bowyer has played a bit of a blinder by winding Best up a bit.

DJ - Not seen enough to know about him really. Very decent record in a poor Ipswich side last year so who knows!

If we can get a fully fit and fully engaged Rochina like the one that started at Derby then he could be absolutely pivotal in any drive up the table. Top player on his day and one of those I love to watch. He can pick locks in a defence in an instant - a skill many players very much struggle with.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not many Championship teams would have backup of DJ Campbell and Leon Best or the option of playing Dunn/Rochina if their main striker got injured. It wouldn't be the end of the world. Some other players need to step up and score the goals.

^ Because of this scenario

Rovers would well and truly be up dickies meadow without Rhodes

^ Because of this scenario

Rovers would well and truly be up dickies meadow without Rhodes

Aluko,8

Simpson,6

Geddo,5

Proschwitz,3

McLean,1

Hull's stike force and total number of goals scored last sesaon.

Proves you don't need a top striker to do well in this league. Would you swap Best,DJ,Dunn,Rochina for any of that lot??

Good strikers like Rhodes have a sort of a sixth sense enabling them to be in the right place at the right time which is more important than raw pace per se.

As for Rhodes pace or lack of it, he isn't lightning but I can only think of Bellamy, Shearer before his first knee injury and King as players we've ever had in forty odd years who were frighteningly quick.

George Donis says hi :)

• Backroom

If Rhodes did get injured I think DJ could fill that void. Not to quite the same level, but the way DJ plays isn't too dissimilar to Jordan at all. Probably why his best spells have been in the lower divisions. Don't think DJ and Jordan would work very well together though - as we saw briefly last season.

• Backroom

Cant belive Mcgoldrick got player of the month for scoring like 4 goals in two games...

It's a good thing. That curse means he'll not score next this month. Might force Ipswich down the table a bit.

• Backroom

What a pleasure it is to watch such a young well balanced footballer putting smiles on everybody's faces, week in, week out, in the unique blue and white shirt. Long may it continue.

Wow JAL :) best post I've seen from you! Stay on the happy pills :)

A 30 goal a season international striker would not be playing for BRFC in the second div if he didn't have major weaknesses

It's an absolute certainty though I'd say that he'll be playing in the Premiership come September the 1st next year whether that be with us or elsewhere.

And if he continues scoring at nearly one a game until the turn of the year I'm not sure how we'll be able to hang onto him in January.

None of the so-called "top" clubs are likely to want him, and I'd say in January it would only be one of the teams struggling for Premier League survival that might take a gamble. The question is, who has the money to pay £8m plus for him, assuming we want at least to get our money back on him ?

None of the so-called "top" clubs are likely to want him, and I'd say in January it would only be one of the teams struggling for Premier League survival that might take a gamble. The question is, who has the money to pay £8m plus for him, assuming we want at least to get our money back on him ?

If has continued to score a goal a game - there is a chance that we will be towards the top of the table - so would imagine that any club would have to spend serious money (well above £8m) to pursuade Venkys to sell and risk whatever chance we had of promotion.

I think we should operate with 2 up front for a while. Teams aren't set up for dealing with 2 strikers anymore. You have one centre half marking and the other covering. I suspect that a few solid centre half partnerships would be shown up if they had to mark 2 forwards. I was thinking this last season when Bradford were marauding around beating Premier League sides. They made international defenders look foolish last season (mainly thinking Arsenal here) because they were wholly unprepared/out of practice in dealing with 2 forwards. Also, and say this sotto voce, it seems to be working for Burnley.

Edit - This is quite easy to say, of course, given that we are effectively playing with 2 up top in Rhodes and Best!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived