BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

We haven't got Ings and Vaughan though have we. And as we are on the brink of financial meltdown we can;t bring anyone in and as we have no other striker who has any kind of track record of scoring goals at any level I would suggest that Rhodes is the first name on the team sheet every week. I agree that he is probably lazy and won't make it to the top level but we are a million miles away from the top level and at the level he plays at he is as good as anyone. I just can't believe that anyone would suggest putting him on the bench and playing......who.....instead.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We haven't got Ings and Vaughan though have we. And as we are on the brink of financial meltdown we can;t bring anyone in and as we have no other striker who has any kind of track record of scoring goals at any level I would suggest that Rhodes is the first name on the team sheet every week. I agree that he is probably lazy and won't make it to the top level but we are a million miles away from the top level and at the level he plays at he is as good as anyone. I just can't believe that anyone would suggest putting him on the bench and playing......who.....instead.

This is the problem isn't it - he's not even competing for a place in the team.

Perhaps if he was, he might put more of a shift in. I'm not saying he's being lazy per se, but I do think that if a player thinks he is automatic selection every week, they naturally lose 10% of their work rate and desire to impress. And that isn't just football related either - think it might be any workplace or aspect of life (your Mrs might vouch for that McClarky :rover:)

I think the fact is that even those who worship the ground he walks on can see that Rhodes has serious issues in his game - and those that criticise his glaring weaknesses also appreciate what a great finisher he is. We're not actually that far from agreeing in many ways.

He's a brilliant talent in front of goal, but that alone does not make a top striker. I don't see the problem with wanting more from him, particularly when he completely disappears for many many games in a season. i.e. the last 5. But as Rev rightly points out, penalties do count aswell :rolleyes: Perhaps we should coax Julian Dicks out of retirement and stick him up front. He used to take a far better peno than JR does now imo.

Someone questioned where we would be without him last year, I was merely suggesting that there are other players out there who would improve the side as a whole for less money. You cannot ask where we would be without his goals and not consider replacements.

I don't for one second think he should be dropped and i think his work rate is very good. He is the best striker we currently have and as you suggest we have no one else to play.

Poor post Booth - must admit you are prone to this quite often.

The first part is rubbish - we all know Rhodes has glaring weaknesses in his game - If you don't know what they are by now, either your seat doesn't face the pitch, you don't attend any games at all, or you know the square root of Kean all about football.

The second paragraph is even worse - Shearers all round game was pretty magnificent. In fact until he got 'that' knee injury he would run through a brick wall for his side - his hold up play was excellent and he scored more goals than Rhodes. As for buying Sutton - you realise we were the wealthiest side in England then? Not really an ideal comparison on your behalf, spending £5m on a striker when we had money coming out of our ears, or chucking £8m away when it was abundantly clear we had just thrown away our TV revenue (thus obvious financial problems were upon us), and had the most unbalanced side in all top 4 leagues.

Point three - If you've ever seen my thoughts on Jason Roberts it would be abundantly clear to you that I thought he was absolutely useless.

In our position - with our financial peril, I thought, and still think it was absolutely ridiculous to blow £8m on one player. Not just that, but a player with so many holes in his all round game. The point I was taking from the above article was that Rhodes has been well worth the £8m we spent. Unless he gets us promoted, which with the poor squad we have, plus his weaknesses (remember he hasn't scored in open play for what, 5 games?) he won't. Then he has not been worth the money - I don't care about people saying he needs service, needs the defence to improve or anything. If there were so many glaringly obvious flaws in our side then why the Kean did we kean away £8m of money we don't have on the hope that he would get us promoted. Fools and their money.

Add on the fact that in about 2 - 3 years time (at the latest) he will walk away for nothing, excuse me if I feel we could have done far more with the limited parachute payments we had available.

Anyway as long as you enjoy watching our kean squad scramble around mid-table whilst Rhodes scores 20+ goals then that's up to you. I for one would have liked to see us be a little bit more forward thinking.

You took what I wrote far too seriously.

Also Rhodes wasn't purchased with parachute payments, and nor was Murphy as far as I know. They were extra signings courtesy of Daddy Cool.

This thread is the embarrassment cherry on the Venky cake.

It amazes me the number of people who wanted £8 million spending elsewhere .

Truth is last summer we had spent nearly £15 mill on players long before Rhodes was even considered .

We have spent this summer and will spend the next two summers suffering because of it .

If it had been no Rhodes , then the money would not have been spent elsewhere .

We would probably be in league 1.

Our eggs were all on Leon Best and he has scored a hatful , :-/

The £8 mill on Rhodes ensured we was not relegated , had we not bought Rhodes last season then Venky's would be £8 million Richer , and those accounts would not be the only thing of worry .

If he continues scoring the goals which he has throughout his career to date , then quite frankly he is priceless to Rovers , as his goals are the difference between us being 12th or bottom 3.

Nothing about Venky's signings in 3 years suggest we would be better off without Rhodes and £8 million to waste on more duck eggs

Quite obvious that Singh persuaded Venky's that Rhodes would fire them back to the PL Glen. They didn't shell out that money for anything else other than promotion IMO. I'm quite sure that if Singh had gone with the same promise, but for different players they would have gone that way as well.

• Backroom

Too late. I'd already decided that thanks DE. :P

His teammates.... obviously. Sounds like you would drop all 10 and let superman play on his own.

Why are you trying to continue a conversation with me considering your first quote?

Anyhow, it seems eventually the overall point that we have to change our style of play if we are to adapt Rhodes' game has finally sunk in. Do we have the players to do that, though? If not, we certainly don't have the money to buy the necessary talent so what is the solution?

Quite obvious that Singh persuaded Venky's that Rhodes would fire them back to the PL Glen. They didn't shell out that money for anything else other than promotion IMO. I'm quite sure that if Singh had gone with the same promise, but for different players they would have gone that way as well.

They quite clearly follow the advice given at all times, their track record with JA, SK, PA et al more than proves this. I too think they would have bought whatever they were told too.

They quite clearly follow the advice given at all times, their track record with JA, SK, PA et al more than proves this. I too think they would have bought whatever they were told too.

Nah, they're still quite selective. Paul Hunt advised them to sack Kean to save our season, and look what happened to him.

133 goals in 245 appearances and still only 23 years old .

Yes he has parts of his game which are not strong , like not being quick or the best target man.

However if he had absolutely everything he would never have even become a Rovers player . He would be at Barcelona or Man Utd .

He has the main ingredient IMO which every team needs , he scores goals on a regular basis , he is natural born goalscorer which in the modern game is not easy to come by . Season in season out to date he has delivered , he is not a one season wonder and will continue to score goals whoever he plays for.

I'm sure if he is sold , the sale would not be greeted with a "oh well" from a great number of supporters.

This topic should be saved for comedy gold value.

The club is a shambles from top to bottom, the squad is a hollowed out shell and sections of the support have the time and inclination to fire shots across the bow of the only player who consistently does what he is paid to do

Well selling our star player in Jan would certainly contradict the advertising of half ST's where the club are asking people to join 'the promotion push', however I fully expect him to be sold should the right offer come in.

Not that I think we'll be promoted realistically, but selling Jordan would end any slim chance we have of reaching the play off's.

• Backroom

To have any hope of promotion we need to bring someone in to play alongside him

He has shown he will score the goals but has also shown he isn't great at the other stuff, play someone to compliment him and we may have the full package.

If we are going to continue to play one up top then maybe another plan is needed!

He has shown he will score the goals but has also shown he isn't great at the other stuff, play someone to compliment him and we may have the full package.

If we are going to continue to play one up top then maybe another plan is needed!

Yes. Like working out how the @#/? we can consistently keep clean sheets.

Completely agree with Glen's post too.

This is the question, do you have a big centre forward to win the headers, and make the ball stick up top with a view to using Rhodes to run on to flick-ons and knock downs?

Or...

Do you have a player to play in the hole behind him and look to play the ball through the gaps to get Rhodes into a shooting position?

Either way, we have 1 of each currently in the squad, Leon Best (attitude stinks, we know, but he should be smashing it at this level, he did for Newcastle!), or Ruben Rochina (when fit, he will lead defences in this division a merry dance).

We need to address the issues in midfield, we certainly need a player who can impose himself on the game, put himself about and help us win/retain possession, this way, we can look to let the attackers do what they do... We already have some good players in the squad, but if they can figure out who to play to get the best out of Rhodes on a consistent basis, in a system that suits the rest of the team then we might have a better chance.

Rhodes is still one of the best strikers, and arguably the best finisher in the Championship, like others have said, if he had the pace, power and link up play, he'd be playing for Man Utd, but he doesn't and he plays for us... we should be grateful!!!

If GB can figure out who to play with him and what the most suitable system is then we could all just complain about the defence and other stuff!!!

This is the question, do you have a big centre forward to win the headers, and make the ball stick up top with a view to using Rhodes to run on to flick-ons and knock downs? Or... Do you have a player to play in the hole behind him and look to play the ball through the gaps to get Rhodes into a shooting position? Either way, we have 1 of each currently in the squad, Leon Best (attitude stinks, we know, but he should be smashing it at this level, he did for Newcastle!), or Ruben Rochina (when fit, he will lead defences in this division a merry dance). We need to address the issues in midfield, we certainly need a player who can impose himself on the game, put himself about and help us win/retain possession, this way, we can look to let the attackers do what they do... We already have some good players in the squad, but if they can figure out who to play to get the best out of Rhodes on a consistent basis, in a system that suits the rest of the team then we might have a better chance. Rhodes is still one of the best strikers, and arguably the best finisher in the Championship, like others have said, if he had the pace, power and link up play, he'd be playing for Man Utd, but he doesn't and he plays for us... we should be grateful!!! If GB can figure out who to play with him and what the most suitable system is then we could all just complain about the defence and other stuff!!!

Agree with pretty much all of this

• Backroom

But Best isn't actually that big, even then ParsonBlue who undoubtedly knows his stuff says the best he has seem us play going forward was at Bournmouth when Rhodes and Best played together

If we can get someone to do the dirty work to free up Rhodes to simply score then superb but if he is to play up front alone then a lot of that work will remain undone

Wonder if Stoke want to lend us Kenywne Jones

I guess we are about to find out how good he is. :rolleyes:

Let's hope this is wrong.

Goodbye PL. Goodbye Championship?

EDIT:Scottish FA have just tweeted that he's out injured.

:(

(Longsiders, this is exactly the kind of luck Bumley are enjoying - no injuries)

• Backroom

Looks like some on here may get their wish of Rhodes being out of the picture. If he's broken his leg then that is our season well and truly keaned.

Don't be silly nobody wanted him out of the picture simply adapted in style or supported differently

• Backroom

Don't be silly nobody wanted him out of the picture simply adapted in style or supported differently

People were talking about putting him on the bench ffs. Obvious that some on here would be happy to see him sold as long as we got back what we spent on him.

I will be sick to my stomach if this is true.

Archived