BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

It is the degree of criticism and the fact that there are a whole raft of other players (over thirty from the current squad) who merit such levels before JR.

The criticism of Rhodes is as much to do with the role he is playing rather than the player himself. Rhodes is a goalmouth poacher rather than a traditional target man. When he plays as a target man it tends to highlight the limitations of his game. I don't think anyone has said they want him left out of the team merely that he needs to work at the areas he isn't great at if we are going to continue to play him as a lone striker. Ideally, we could bring in a traditional type of target man at some point and go with two up front, something which a number of teams seem to do in the Championship.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is the degree of criticism and the fact that there are a whole raft of other players (over thirty from the current squad) who merit such levels before JR.

Oh, and which ones cost £8m and are regarded as the next big thing in the PL by many on here?

There is a reason Rhodes gets so much attention -because he is our biggest name.

• Backroom

Amazing how churlish some people can be, people saying anything negative about his all round game now somehow equates to they have their wish now he's injured

It's like talking to petulant teenagers at times 'I'll run away then nobody will have to see me again so you'll all be happy!!'

Hopefully it'll not be as bad as feared and a bit of a rest and rehab will do him good as he's been looking jaded recently. If he's out for a few months it's a bit of a disaster but maybe a fresh approach to the system of play could be a bit of a turning point although it'll only work if Best, Campbell, Rochina & Dunn are available. Another huge test for GB, over to you Gary !

• Backroom

The criticism of Rhodes is as much to do with the role he is playing rather than the player himself. Rhodes is a goalmouth poacher rather than a traditional target man. When he plays as a target man it tends to highlight the limitations of his game. I don't think anyone has said they want him left out of the team merely that he needs to work at the areas he isn't great at if we are going to continue to play him as a lone striker. Ideally, we could bring in a traditional type of target man at some point and go with two up front, something which a number of teams seem to do in the Championship.

Rhodes' critics change their tune when they can't answer the rebuttals to their often OTT criticisms. For the record there are plenty who have said and continue to say he should be benched, and they aren't joking. They want to put the only person who consistantly scores goals in our team on the bench. Sure, he's going through a slightly dry patch at present, but in terms of goalscoring nobody in our team touches him. It should also not be forgotten how important it is to have a player on the pitch who will almost always convert a penalty if awarded, rather than dismiss those goals entirely as some on this thread are trying to do.

We all know Jordan isn't the finished article and I'm sure he's working on improving his game every day in training, but if the team behind him continues to be slow, ponderous and defensive it will make absolutely no difference.

Rhodes' critics change their tune when they can't answer the rebuttals to their often OTT criticisms. For the record there are plenty who have said and continue to say he should be benched, and they aren't joking. They want to put the only person who consistantly scores goals in our team on the bench. Sure, he's going through a slightly dry patch at present, but in terms of goalscoring nobody in our team touches him. It should also not be forgotten how important it is to have a player on the pitch who will almost always convert a penalty if awarded, rather than dismiss those goals entirely as some on this thread are trying to do.

We all know Jordan isn't the finished article and I'm sure he's working on improving his game every day in training, but if the team behind him continues to be slow, ponderous and defensive it will make absolutely no difference.

Give it up, DE. You are on to a loser with this lot.

• Moderation Lead

I can barely believe I'm having to argue this tbh. It's like this thread is one big joke and I just don't get it.

Some folk are just arguing for the sake of it. It's so daft it's untrue.

Something most people will agree on is that it is a real shame if he is injured because with Dunn and Rochina coming back we might have been able to play the system GB wants to play and see more of Rhodes' strengths. Bowyer isn't having much luck with injuries.

• Backroom

Something most people will agree on is that it is a real shame if he is injured because with Dunn and Rochina coming back we might have been able to play the system GB wants to play and see more of Rhodes' strengths. Bowyer isn't having much luck with injuries.

I must admit a part of me would be excited at the prospect of seeing how Rochina does as an out-and-out striker with Dunn or Best to play off.

That being said I'm uncomfortable that Rhodes is injured as we seem to be relying on him. It'd be nice to see if any other combination of players up top works.

I can barely believe I'm having to argue this tbh. It's like this thread is one big joke and I just don't get it.

You're right. It's an absolute joke to discuss our £8m signings inadequacies, even though they are blatantly @#/? obvious. Rather we should discuss how great his finish was against Barnsley in August, and keep quiet and ignore the areas of his game he can improve.

Perhaps you, Stuart and K-Hod can start another thread? 'The Jordan Rhodes Appreciation Society' and I can promise you that anyone willing to discuss anything other than the following will not be present.

1. How fantastic he is

2. What great value for money he was

3. Reminiscing about goals past and present

4. What a keaner Strachan is for having the audacity to point out the weaknesses in his game.

5. What a dark and desperate place the Jordan Rhodes thread is

Get a grip and stop being such pansies. If you can't see and/or discuss Rhodes weaknesses without flying off the handle at anyone who suggests he may have some, then you either shouldn't watch football or you just don't go to the football at all.

The system we saw employed against both Barnsley and Bolton - could be great to see again. No doubt Rhodes will score if fed opportunities by Rochina or Dunn.

Unfortunately those two aren't exactly reliable.

Someone is flying off the handle pol, but it isn't us...

Who is then? I've posted a sensible idea whereby you three can find an alternative thread to discuss just how great Jordan Rhodes is. You should leave us lot to discuss both his positives and his weaknesses without being chastised for doing so.

Or perhaps I should record a few of Rhodes performances for you so that you can formulate your own opinion rather than listening to a no doubt biased version from your mates?

Jimmy has a point.

Its like being back at school where you had to defend your hero at all costs and you had pictures of him on your bedroom wall. Once you get older and grow out of this stage you can sit back, watch the games objectivley and form an opinion on what your eyes see.

Jordan Rhodes only scores goals - but so did Robbie Fowler and his fans nicknamed him 'God'.

If Rhodes gets a clear-cut chance in or on the edge of the box - 9 times out of 10 its a goal. The problem is that between our other 10 players we struggle to create those chances for him. Our most (only) effective creative player is currently King and he is not keen on passing even though for the most part his shooting is weak. He had a couple of shots from the edge of the area against Brighton and they were identically poor - but fans were applauding him.

We either need a target man to partner and help Rhodes (Best only helps Best and sometimes doesn't even do that) or we need the likes of Dunn, King, Taylor and Marshall to be up and around the attacking third to create chances for Rhodes.

I have read a couple of interviews where Bowyer is trying to get the likes of King and Lowe shooting more - I would say to them and the rest of the team that if they can set up Rhodes in such a way that he will have the same opportunity to score, then they should mostly pass to him because he is the only naturally gifted finisher in our team.

Jordan Rhodes only scores goals - but so did Robbie Fowler and his fans nicknamed him 'God'.

If Rhodes gets a clear-cut chance in or on the edge of the box - 9 times out of 10 its a goal. The problem is that between our other 10 players we struggle to create those chances for him. Our most (only) effective creative player is currently King and he is not keen on passing even though for the most part his shooting is weak. He had a couple of shots from the edge of the area against Brighton and they were identically poor - but fans were applauding him.

We either need a target man to partner and help Rhodes (Best only helps Best and sometimes doesn't even do that) or we need the likes of Dunn, King, Taylor and Marshall to be up and around the attacking third to create chances for Rhodes.

I have read a couple of interviews where Bowyer is trying to get the likes of King and Lowe shooting more - I would say to them and the rest of the team that if they can set up Rhodes in such a way that he will have the same opportunity to score, then they should mostly pass to him because he is the only naturally gifted finisher in our team.

The fans, and I was one of them, were applauding the fact he had run from the halfway line, beat a couple of players and hit the target with a reasonable shot. Only player in our team capable of this (I am generally a critic of King but credit where it's due)

How many goals did JR score last year? He has 10 already this year. He doesnt create them goals himself by dribbling messi styleee from the halfway line, so lets stop this the other 10 are a load of bobbins and do nothing for him mumbo jumbo. Clearly we create plenty chances for him or he wouldnt have these goals, because he doesnt create them himself. He's had chances in our last 5 games and missed them all. If he scored 9/10 ratio of them we possibly would have had better results. He's a damm fine player, but he has weaknesses he needs to improve on and so far in his rovers career he hasnt improved in these areas. Now maybe thats coaching, maybe its on Jordan, maybe its both, but whatever it is its not unreasonable as fans to expect to see a young player improve in these areas. He's our record signing, we have high expectaions of him (higher than other players), but he is NOT immune from critiscm when he's in a drought and not playing well

ps he isnt GOD, Tugay is :rover:

Andy Bayes @AndyBayes 11m

Blackburn Rovers striker Jordan Rhodes has undergone a scan and the extent of his injury will be clearer this evening or tomorrow. #rovers

Archived