BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lower League Players

Neal

I admit, I'm still adjusting to life in the championship & I don't know half of the players we play against each week. Having to watch the Football League show rather than MOTD on BBC1 has opened my eyes to some talented players in these divisions.

We all know our financial situation, at this point we certainly need to sell before we buy. Putting that to one side... Who (realistically) have you seen in the lower leagues that you would like to see at Rovers?

Personally:

Mcgoldrick (Ipswich)

Assombalonga (Peterborough)

Ryan Mason (Swindon)

Troy Deeney (Watford)

Lewis Grabban (Bournemouth)

Nahki Wells (Bradford)

I admit, I'm still adjusting to life in the championship & I don't know half of the players we play against each week. Having to watch the Football League show rather than MOTD on BBC1 has opened my eyes to some talented players in these divisions.

We all know our financial situation, at this point we certainly need to sell before we buy. Putting that to one side... Who (realistically) have you seen in the lower leagues that you would like to see at Rovers?

Personally:

Mcgoldrick (Ipswich)

Ryan Mason (Swindon)

Troy Deeney (Watford)

Nahki Wells (Bradford)

Add to that list Tarkowski from Oldham. I saw him play last week and was really impressed. He is a centre half but was such a threat in the opposition penalty area from set plays.

Personally:

Mcgoldrick (Ipswich)

Ryan Mason (Swindon)

Troy Deeney (Watford)

Nahki Wells (Bradford)

TBH watching highlights of any player is no guarantee - MGP was an absolute star on MOTD - and I am sure Rhodes looks an absolute world beater of the football league show.

David McGoldrick has already been at the Rovers once. I remember watching him play - and score - in a youth friendly at Bury in the 2004 pre-season. I think he had a couple of games with the Academy whilst he was still with Notts County just before he signed for Southampton. I seem to remember that County wanted a fairly hefty fee for the youngster at the time.

McGoldrick is so-so. When we played Ipswich at Ewood last season he was a non-entity. On his day he's decent, but no better than DJ imo.

Unlike DJ he seems to be able to score goals out of nothing. Everything he hits seems to be with power and he's not lacking in pace or in the air from what I can tell. May just be having a good spell I suppose. I've heard good things about Tarkowski, sounds like he'd be worth a punt if we rid of Dann... Haven't we been linked before?

Another player in great form is James Vaughan, linked heavily in the summer & looks like we may have missed out there. Seems to have put his injuries behind him and perhaps found his level in the championship.

Jutkiewicz (whatever) is a good forward, almost mentioned him but thought it a bit obvious given how he murdered us at Ewood last season. I didn't mention Will Hughes as there is no realistic chance of him coming here, excellent player.

If you get chance, have a look at the goal Mason scored against Wolves at the weekend... Unreal.

My bad - didn't fully read the thread and just thought it was a thread talking about young players! I bet I look a right numpty now to any Derby fans that come on here, suggesting we would be able to sign Hughes / Bennett!

McGoldrick is so-so. When we played Ipswich at Ewood last season he was a non-entity. On his day he's decent, but no better than DJ imo.

Interestingly (or not) McGoldrick and Best formed a very effective and fruitful partnership in the Southampton youth side years ago. Very big things were expected from them both.

DJ can do that as well, he just hasn't done it here yet.

I hope you're right.

Interestingly (or not) McGoldrick and Best formed a very effective and fruitful partnership in the Southampton youth side years ago. Very big things were expected from them both.

Should Rhodes leave, could be a good signing then.

Hide this thread from JAL ;)

Ha! Meaning?

Not just JAL to be fair.

He means that apparently, according to some, we shouldn't be signing players from lower leagues as we are apparently still a Premier League team and therefore should be signing Premier League players.

Bit ridiculous given the rise of players like Lambert. Anyhow, weather people feel we should or shouldn't... The point of this thread is for people to discuss talent in these divisions.

I hope you're right.

Should Rhodes leave, could be a good signing then.

Ha! Meaning?

Na I didnt mean that Neal. In fact, im not entirely sure what I meant really. It was exceptionally early in the morning and as soon as I posted it I wondered what the point of posting actually was. I should delete it but I won't. I hope it serves as a lesson to anyone thinking about posting a few lines of tripe. Dont do it.

Not just JAL to be fair.

He means that apparently, according to some, we shouldn't be signing players from lower leagues as we are apparently still a Premier League team and therefore should be signing Premier League players.

Errrr, not quite.

Sign first division players, get first division football. That happened two years ago.

Errrr, not quite.

Sign first division players, get first division football. That happened two years ago.

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous generalisation.

Keegan? Clemence? Alan Wright? to name but 3 from many.

There's a wealth of hungry, young, English talent in the lower leagues as long as you pick the good 'uns and have the wherewithall to bring them on and develop them. I think Bowyer's as well placed to do that as anybody given the time he had with our youth set up and would say he's doing a mighty fine job up to now IMO.

The alternative is to sign Premiership has beens with a chip on their shoulder who think the world owes them a living. Where did that almost take us?

Errrr, not quite.

I'd take a "first division" (I presume you mean Championship?) player like Cairey or Rhodes over Premiership players like Leon Best and Danny Murphy any day of the week Den.

It's a bit of a simplistic one liner you have there with little value or insight. Swansea, Southampton and Norwich were stuffed full of players without top league experience when they were promoted and stayed in the Prem. They have done well in the Premiership. When we stuffed Bolton two weeks ago 4-1 they had some big name with loads of prem experience out on the pitch. It's about having good motivated players guided by a good motivated manager.

Well, whatever. The fact is Venky's went along with an agent who convinced them that they could sell all their high earners and he would provide them with young talent from the lower leagues around the world. That's what happened and we got relegated because of it.

It's a bit of a simplistic one liner you have there with little value or insight. Swansea, Southampton and Norwich were stuffed full of players without top league experience when they were promoted and stayed in the Prem. They have done well in the Premiership. When we stuffed Bolton two weeks ago 4-1 they had some big name with loads of prem experience out on the pitch. It's about having good motivated players guided by a good motivated manager.

Every season three sides are promoted from the first division JBN. Swansea, Norwich and Southampton have all done well, many teams don't do well. However, if those three teams go down the route that we did and replace their better players with players from the lower leagues, then they will suffer the same relegation as us - don't you think?

I hope for the sake of their fans that they don't see the lower leagues as a way of taking the club forwards, as we did. It's a no brainier, surely.

Archived