BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Penalty takers?

47er

I've been around a while and seen a few(including Shearer of course) but has there ever been a better penalty taker for us than Rhodes? I was prompted to write this after Saturday. That penalty was sublime.

Everytime he steps up I know its a goal. Have not felt like that for years

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be interesting to know his stats but I agree. I think the effect is exaggerated by our years of struggling with inconsistent and varying takers before he arrived. Its so nice to have a sense of almost unqualified confidence now whenever we win a penalty. One that stands out for me was his penalty against Wolves away last season in the last game of Bowyer's first spell. The awarding of it was controversial, he was made to wait quite a while as the wolves players complained, there was a pretty full and pumped up Molineux making a lot of noise, and he slotted it away like someone practising in his back garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9DmfmWVOAA

I mean he's not this bloke, but who is :)

• Backroom

He is great at them and very calm, the only problem with that style is when the keeper double bluffs the taker they can look terrible, Yakubu was very similar but looked silly against Liverpool

Cantons had a similar style and rarely missed but I think the best player I have seen at taking that style of penalties is Nathan Ellington

I seem to recall Rhodes missing a couple before he came to us but every one for us has been great

I have a theory, based on nothing other than general observation, that left footed players are far less successful than right footers.

Left footed players seem to have a tendency to place the ball to their right while a right footed player will go either way.

Or is that nonsense?

• Backroom

Well, he has to be good at something as other than goal-scoring he drags the whole team down.

Hilarious

Apart from the fact it makes no sense seeing as scoring penalties is actually scoring goals

The criticisms of the criticisms of his game are as overdone as the actual criticisms, for me its entirely churlish and short sighted not to accept that sometimes it would be beneficial to have a striker doing more than taking the chances that drop his way and in some games that is needed

However it seems if you dare mention that you get called a 'hater' when in reality that's just not the case

I have a theory, based on nothing other than general observation, that left footed players are far less successful than right footers.

Left footed players seem to have a tendency to place the ball to their right while a right footed player will go either way.

Or is that nonsense?

Nonsense actually...it is far more natural for any player to open his body out and place it to the same side the foot they use...rather than risk pulling it. As a lefty myself I would usually put it to the goalies right.

That penalty was flaky imo. He needs to hit them harder cos not every keeper will dive the wrong way.

Don't agree with that in Rhodes case. He didn't so much send the keeper the wrong way,as he waited for him to commit himself, ie put the balance of his body to one side or the other. Then he stroked the ball to the other side.

Its the best penalty you can take, impossible for any keeper to recover.

In my lifetime supporting rovers, there have been two stand out penalty takers - Mike Harrison and Shearer. Harrison was left footed Paul.

Need to see Rhodes take a few more before he can be properly rated.

Huddersfield fan that I work with, says he was rubbish at penalties whilst at Huddersfield and missed a fair few. Not looked at the stats though!

09/10

Rhodes V Brighton MISSED

10/11

Rhodes v Bristol Rovers MISSED

11/12

Rhodes v Charlton SCORED

• Backroom

Hilarious

Apart from the fact it makes no sense seeing as scoring penalties is actually scoring goals

The criticisms of the criticisms of his game are as overdone as the actual criticisms, for me its entirely churlish and short sighted not to accept that sometimes it would be beneficial to have a striker doing more than taking the chances that drop his way and in some games that is needed

However it seems if you dare mention that you get called a 'hater' when in reality that's just not the case

Didn't have you down as a Rhodes hater Tom... poor form.

David Mail. used to slice it badly but hoofed it so hard it just veered off into the corner of the net. Unstoppable but if he took 1 from 18 yards it would fly miles past the post with the outrageous slice.

Rhodes is so composed in front of goal he always looks like scoring so penalties seem quite easy for him. By my reckoning that's 6-0 for him so far. Hope he gets many more while he's here. What did Shearer get overall? Maybe about 20-1 and I think he scored from the rebound for the 1 he missed didn't he against Bruce Grob?

Or is that nonsense?

With you on that Paul. I've noticed that left footers are dodgy on penalties over the years.

Archived