BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Penalty takers?

47er

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a theory, based on nothing other than general observation, that left footed players are far less successful than right footers.

Left footed players seem to have a tendency to place the ball to their right while a right footed player will go either way.

Or is that nonsense?

Whose right? The pen taker or the gkeepers?

Many years ago now it seems I took left footed penalties and my preferred side (if the gk was in the middle of his goals) was to put them with pace low toward the left stanchion of the goals. Any advantage to be had is that that is the rh side of the keeper and by the law of averages on the side of his strongest hand.

Dunn in our promotion season reminds me of Rhodes now, confident he will convert every time. Until he misses a couple :P

Shearer is probably the best I've seen, currently Balotelli is up there at no. 1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's missed one yet and he's been under some serious pressure for Milan/Man City/Italy.

Dunn in our promotion season reminds me of Rhodes now, confident he will convert every time. Until he misses a couple :P

Shearer is probably the best I've seen, currently Balotelli is up there at no. 1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's missed one yet and he's been under some serious pressure for Milan/Man City/Italy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2CLGVoMBgw

I can still remember CKR snatching the ball off Rhodes last season. Then missing!

Yep, what an arrogant dipstick he was.

Indidentally, notice he's now left Galatasaray in Turkey and signed for Bursaspor - and for the pawltry fee of 250,000 Euros.

• Backroom

I don't think he took any for us but Danny Murphy was very good penalty taker.

Didn't have you down as a Rhodes hater Tom... poor form.

Cheeky!

I don't think he took any for us but Danny Murphy was very good penalty taker.

I think he took one at Huddersfield and scored it

Phil Neal was one of the best I ever saw. Le Tissier and Shearer up there as well. Rhodes is very good, but I'll judge better when he is taking them under the fiercest of pressure against the best keepers.

I quite like the Sutton and Dicks approach of blast them as hard as possible, as it nullifies taker pressure and makes it very hard for keepers to simply get lucky.

In order of confidence I would have

Alan Kevin Stonehouse (lethal) Howard Kendall (broke the net) Rhodes (cool) Kevin Hird Benni McCarthy (missed a few but scored some pressure pens Tony Field David Mail (toe bungers) Graham Oates Derek Fazackerley Simon Barker David Wagstaffe John Waddington Chris Sulley Sutton Stuart Metcalfe (sliders) Scott Sellers Mike Newell (hit and miss) Kevin Moran David Speedie Bobby Mitchell Nonda Matt Jansen Tony Parkes Noel Brotherston John Lowey (one didn't reach the net) Don Martin Andy Kennedy Simon Garner (was good then lost it) Howard Gayle (missed some crucial ones but scored a lot) David Dunn Jimmy Quinn Ken Beamish Lucas Neill Jason Roberts Steve Livingstone Jason Wilcox Matt Derbyshire David Batty (only took one for England) Tugay (See Noel)

In order of confidence I would have

Alan

Kevin Stonehouse (lethal)

Howard Kendall (broke the net)

Rhodes (cool)

Kevin Hird

Benni McCarthy (missed a few but scored some pressure pens

Tony Field

David Mail (toe bungers)

Graham Oates

Derek Fazackerley

Simon Barker

David Wagstaffe

John Waddington

Chris Sulley

Sutton

Stuart Metcalfe (sliders)

Scott Sellers

Mike Newell (hit and miss)

Kevin Moran

David Speedie

Bobby Mitchell

Nonda

Matt Jansen

Tony Parkes

Noel Brotherston

John Lowey (one didn't reach the net)

Don Martin

Andy Kennedy

Simon Garner (was good then lost it)

Howard Gayle (missed some crucial ones but scored a lot)

David Dunn

Jimmy Quinn

Ken Beamish

Lucas Neill

Jason Roberts

Steve Livingstone

Jason Wilcox

Matt Derbyshire

David Batty (only took one for England)

Tugay (See Noel)

Blimey! Only missed 1----Coddington!

My memory may be playing tricks on me but when i started watchin Rovers (beginning of 80's ) i always though Faz took the penalties?

also Ray Stewart at West Ham , did he ever miss??

Yeah I seem to remember remember grobelar saving one or maybe two of his

Shearer missed 2 penaltys for Rovers, both against Southampton home and away in the Title winning season.

Think he scored from the rebound in the game at Ewood.

Archived