BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v. Charlton Athletic - Saturday 19th October - 3pm kick off.

Following the disappointing 2-1 defeat at the DW Stadium, Rovers have the opportunity to return to winning ways when they play hosts to Charlton Athletic at Ewood.

The Addicks are currently enduring something of a torrid time, having only collected 3 points from their last 6 matches and failing to record a victory in any of them. Comparatively Rovers have faired better, winning 2, drawing 2 with 2 defeats in their last 6.

Under fire Charlton manager, Chris Powell, will hope that the enforced 2 week international break will enable influential players Chris Solly, Yann Kermorgant and skipper Johnnie Jackson, the time to return to full fitness and be available for selection.

Gary Bowyer will hope that the lay off will enable Scott Dann to recover to return to partner Matt Kilgallon, who is likely to replace the suspended Grant Hanley ( I hope you learn lad), in the centre of defence. It may also enable David Dunn to make himself available for selection but I feel Bowyer is likely to stick with the format of the past 3 matches with Leon Best partnering Jordan Rhodes up front.

Rovers likely starting eleven:

Kean, Kane, Kilgallon, Dann, Spurr, Lowe, Cairney, Evans, King, Best, Rhodes.

Charlton likely to select from:

Hamer, Morrison, Wiggins, Solly, Jackson, Wilson, Pritchard, Stephens, Harriotts, Gower, Wood, Cousins, Kermorgant, Church, Sordell.

All time head to head:

Played 70, Rovers winning 30, Charlton 24 and 16 draws

( 34 at Ewood, Rovers winning 19, Charlton 7 and 8 draws)

Players that have played for both clubs:

Barry Endean, Eamonn Rogers, Andy Todd, Matty Holmes, Francis Jeffers.

Player that played for Charlton and collected a salary from Rovers:

Danny Murphy.

A trip down memory lane:

(a couple of iconic games between the clubs)

26th April 1958, Division 2 (championship then), Charlton 3 v Rovers 4 at The Valley. Attendance 56,435.

Charlton had been relegated from the First Division the season prior by 10 points and were looking to return at the first time of asking. With West Ham already promoted as champions, the final game of the season saw Charlton lying in second place on 55 points needing only a draw against third placed Rovers on 54 points to ensure an immediate return to the top flight.

Charlton had had an incredible season, scoring 107 goals and averaging more than 3 per game at The Valley. A couple of months prior, they had found themselves 5-1 behind at home to Huddersfield Town and down to 10 men with 28 minutes remaining. Incredibly they came back to lead 6-5, then conceded an equaliser before scoring the winner with the last kick to win 7-6.

Rovers started brightly but it was Charlton who opened the scoring early in the match through a Fred Lucas header but Rovers stormed into a 3-1 half time lead thanks to goals from Dobing, Johnston and Vernon. A Bryan Douglas penalty further increased Rovers lead on 62 minutes before goals from Peter Firmani (76) and John Hewie (83 pen) made it 4-3. Under Ronnie Clayton's inspired captaincy, the besieged Rovers hung on gamely to earn promotion at the expense of their hosts.

29th March 1987, Full Members Cup Final, Wembley Stadium. Rovers 1 Charlton 0.

At the time, we now of middle age, thought it was probably as good as it was likely to get as 30,000 Rovers fans made the trip to Wembley to see us play in a final. Didn't matter a jot that it was 'the Mickey Mouse trophy'.

An unlikely hero from the afternoon was reserve goalkeeper Vince O'keefe, who for the previous 5 years had played second fiddle to Terry Gennoe but had a blinder of a match.

The afternoon may have taken on more significance for The Club than people imagine: it is rumoured that seeing Rovers' incredible following that day, Uncle Jack really made his mind up to take control. he realised that the club still had true potential and the rest as they say, is history.

Colin Hendry scored the winner after 85 minutes after Charlton keeper Bob Bolder failed to keep hold of a cross from Ian Miller.

Prediction for forthcoming game:

First game of the season for me and I'm confident of a rousing home victory. 3-0 Rovers. Kilgallon and Dann to form a formidable partnership and the rest to carry on as is but hopefully without the stupid mistakes that have cost us so dearly.

Finally, my apologies regarding the presentation of the review, trying to write it on an iPad is a bit of a bugger but then again it's probably just me.

COYB!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should get a win here, sad to think that the win which we should have got yesterday and a win against Charlton would have probably put us in the play off places but it's still early yet. I reckon there's a lot more to be optimistic about this season.

Hope Dann will be starting this game and I'd never have been saying that a couple of seasons ago.

Would expect a win from this but you can never tell in this league.

Charlton don't appear to have changed their team very much from last season, so perhaps that is a cause for their early season poor form. Hoping we take advantage of that.

Last time at Ewood they won I recall in Appleton's first game in charge, but that was a very different Rovers side to the one we have now IMO. Much more team spirit amongst the players these days.

Full Members Cuop Final, what a day out that was. Train down at 3 o'clock in the morning, game of footie with locals outside the Thwaites pub in Islington before it opened and then a memorable day. Wembley trips were a rarity in those days and we went down thinking that could be it for years so we might as well make the most of it.

I am with DE on this one. Charlton will come to frustrate and hit us on the break. Judging by their recent performances I think they will be looking to take a point home with them leaving Rovers to try and break them down.

Charlton will employ a 4 5 1 formation overloading the middle of the park meaning a struggle is on the cards unless we can score an early goal.

2-0 Rovers

Fairly confident going into this one. Our home form is encouraging signs that things are slowly clicking together. I expect a win against Charlton, Hopefully players like Taylor, and Marshall and Best can step up if Rhodes, and King are unavailable. Would like to see Taylor to bring more the type of performances he put in for Millwall. Line up as: (That is if Rhodes, and King are unavailable)

----------Kean------

Kane--Killie--Dann--Spurr

-------Evans----Lowe-----

Marshall----Cairney--Taylor

------------Best--------------

Archived