BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackpool vs. Blackburn Rovers- Saturday 26/10/13 3pm.

K-Hod

• Backroom

How can you justify not starting our best striker if he's fully fit? Who you going to play instead of him?

I'm not jumping on you at all, it just doesn't make any sense Tom.

This is the quandary I suppose, Best has the attributes to be a nuisance but seems to have attitude issues and Campbell is proven at this level but again has struggled here, I feel those two could give the defence a hard time if they pulled their socks up

But getting them to do so may be a different matter, don't get me wrong I'm talking infrequently here or maybe in games we are leading and need to defend from the front it may be worth changing it to that sort of line up

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the quandary I suppose, Best has the attributes to be a nuisance but seems to have attitude issues and Campbell is proven at this level but again has struggled here, I feel those two could give the defence a hard time if they pulled their socks up

But getting them to do so may be a different matter, don't get me wrong I'm talking infrequently here or maybe in games we are leading and need to defend from the front it may be worth changing it to that sort of line up

So you're talking about changing things during the game not stating with Rhodes on the bench, I can go with that.

If this was Blackburn Rovers in the 90's we could certainly drop Rhodes as we had equally good players to come in and replace him, but not these days, he needs to start every game.

• Backroom

Thinking as I type here Gav :P but yes the logic dictates he should be on to get us in the lead but at times when we need to defend that maybe make way

Wigan would have been one of those times for me but on the flip side if we did get a chance to kill the game you'd want it to fall to him, football isn't about definites though I suppose

I think it could be warranted in matches against teams away from home in which we may need to battle more. But as so few of the rest of the team weigh in with goals, do you take the risk? Our next top scorer after JR Ewing on 10 goals is Best on 2 with Cairney, it's a big gamble. For me the way forward is simple, if Mourinho can turn Torres round through psychology and altering chelsea's tactics to suit his style better, then surely we should be looking to do similar with JR? If hitting the front man doesn't work,then don't do it, create another out option. The trouble for me is I don't think we have the quality to do it within the current available squad and I'm not sure we have the tactical nous either.

Rhodes can't play every game and what would happen if he goes the way a few of ours are doing and he hits the treatment room? Do we have a plan B?

I think it could be warranted in matches against teams away from home in which we may need to battle more. But as so few of the rest of the team weigh in with goals, do you take the risk? Our next top scorer after JR Ewing on 10 goals is Best on 2 with Cairney, it's a big gamble. For me the way forward is simple, if Mourinho can turn Torres round through psychology and altering chelsea's tactics to suit his style better, then surely we should be looking to do similar with JR? If hitting the front man doesn't work,then don't do it, create another out option. The trouble for me is I don't think we have the quality to do it within the current available squad and I'm not sure we have the tactical nous either.

I agree.

The way Bowyer usually sets the team up and tries to utilize what he's got mean's Rhodes job is to lurk up front trying to play off the shoulder. Often it's a thankless task feeding off scraps and poor balls coming at you and when your first touch isn't top drawer anyway then it can make him look poor sometimes. I know his weaknesses but i actually think he's a better player than some give him credit for, he's had plenty decent games in his time here. I'd also agree that when he's struggling in a game then he shouldn't be immune to being subbed in favour of trying something different.

Its been said before but its a killer that dunn and rochina are injured together as both have the potential skills to bridge the gap between mid and JR and potentially solve the issues we face against some teams

I agree.

I really wish we'd brought in a more experienced man to the coaching staff this summer to compliment the skills Bowyer et al bring to the table. All of Bowyers previous work has been focused on developing players, which is really more of an individual focus rather than the generic win at all costs of 1st team football. I think we need a tactician on the staff.

I really wish we'd brought in a more experienced man to the coaching staff this summer to compliment the skills Bowyer et al bring to the table. All of Bowyers previous work has been focused on developing players, which is really more of an individual focus rather than the generic win at all costs of 1st team football. I think we need a tactician on the staff.

Do you think its lack of tactical knowledge or prehaps not having the strength to make the tough decisions at this stage of his career?

I mean we have mnetioned subbing JR in certain games. Its a big call for a rookie manager to make with potential back lash if we lose the game etc.

Does he have the balls to make them choices. The way he handled Best tells me he does, but Im not 100% sure at this stage

Its been said before but its a killer that dunn and rochina are injured together as both have the potential skills to bridge the gap between mid and JR and potentially solve the issues we face against some teams

What would the other teams aiming for promotion do if that happened to them? Would they muddle through as we appear to be doing or would they loan in someone to fill the void? Dunn as we all know is a crock, can be great when fit but it's rare, Rochina was just down right bad luck. But it was a massive risk if that was the way Bowyer wanted to play as that role is the pivotal one within those tactics. But we see similar in other positions ie CB as we only have 3 that Bowyer seems willing to play. The squad lacks balance in reference to how Bowyer appears to want to play.

DISCLAIMER: Just because I haven't said anything positive above does not mean that there aren't any, just they're not pertinent to the conversation. Please do not use this as a reason not to attend Rovers matches as everyone should form their own opinion and that mean's going and not relying on second hand info from others!!!

:lol:

Do you think its lack of tactical knowledge or prehaps not having the strength to make the tough decisions at this stage of his career?

I mean we have mnetioned subbing JR in certain games. Its a big call for a rookie manager to make with potential back lash if we lose the game etc.

Does he have the balls to make them choices. The way he handled Best tells me he does, but Im not 100% sure at this stage

i would just say this, does one need to display ruthlessness when the focus is developing players?

What's Bowyers main focus now?

What would the other teams aiming for promotion do if that happened to them? Would they muddle through as we appear to be doing or would they loan in someone to fill the void? Dunn as we all know is a crock, can be great when fit but it's rare, Rochina was just down right bad luck. But it was a massive risk if that was the way Bowyer wanted to play as that role is the pivotal one within those tactics. But we see similar in other positions ie CB as we only have 3 that Bowyer seems willing to play. The squad lacks balance in reference to how Bowyer appears to want to play.

DISCLAIMER: Just because I haven't said anything positive above does not mean that there aren't any, just they're not pertinent to the conversation. Please do not use this as a reason not to attend Rovers matches as everyone should form their own opinion and that mean's going and not relying on second hand info from others!!!

:lol:

i would just say this, does one need to display ruthlessness when the focus is developing players?

What's Bowyers main focus now?

I suspect he thought marshall cairney and judge etc could pick up the slack but it hasnt quite played out that way so far

I suspect he thought marshall cairney and judge etc could pick up the slack but it hasnt quite played out that way so far

Square pegs in round holes, just like asking a player who can't hold the ball up, to hold the ball up.

Lowe can play CB would you want him there for 3-4 matches?

It's all too much 'can' and not enough 'is'.

So you're talking about changing things during the game not stating with Rhodes on the bench, I can go with that.

If this was Blackburn Rovers in the 90's we could certainly drop Rhodes as we had equally good players to come in and replace him, but not these days, he needs to start every game.

It seems, like Al, you had cararacts too in 95 when Batty was injured for the most of it only to return at the end of the season for 5 games, which almost fatally changed the dynamic of the team and almost cost us the title?

Must be an age related memory thing? :D

It seems, like Al, you had cararacts too in 95 when Batty was injured for the most of it only to return at the end of the season for 5 games, which almost fatally changed the dynamic of the team and almost cost us the title?

Must be an age related memory thing? :D

Got nothing to do with age, Batty was never the same player after his injury but he never almost cost us the title, that's simply not true.

I was just being flippant.

He wasn't directly responsible, I never said that, but indirectly. The team was romping to the title on the back of amazing home form until King Kenny felt he had to re-introduce his big money signing. From that moment on the wheels fell off....almost spectacularly

I was just being flippant.

He wasn't directly responsible, I never said that, but indirectly. The team was romping to the title on the back of amazing home form until King Kenny felt he had to re-introduce his big money signing. From that moment on the wheels fell off....almost spectacularly

We're obviously digressing but many factors contributed to our lack of form towards the end of the season, Batty in my opinion wasn't one of them.

If someone wants to name even a few games where he's run the opposition ragged, then go ahead.

Well, this season alone there's bern Bolton, Barnsley and Watford at home. Not every game but no-one plays to their absolute maximum every game and overall I feel Rhodes has been playing extremely well. If we learnt to spot his runs better he'd look even more effective.

That's before you even take the importance of his goals into account.

Well, this season alone there's bern Bolton, Barnsley and Watford at home. Not every game but no-one plays to their absolute maximum every game and overall I feel Rhodes has been playing extremely well. If we learnt to spot his runs better he'd look even more effective.

That's before you even take the importance of his goals into account.

A striker has a good game if he scores a goal, that's his sole purpose on a match day, to simply score goals. Lineker did all of his work in the oppositions box and did nothing else but simply score goals, if Rhodes turns out to be half as good as Lineker I'll be happy.

A striker has a good game if he scores a goal, that's his sole purpose on a match day, to simply score goals. Lineker did all of his work in the oppositions box and did nothing else but simply score goals, if Rhodes turns out to be half as good as Lineker I'll be happy.

Scary thing is he is arguably a better finisher than lineker, however linkeker had a bit more to his game, he was quicker and sharper in general. He also played in the good old 442 days where alot of teams had a goal scorer and a forward

Or in this country most went with the trusty old big man little man combo. If football was still like that today JR would be worth 20mil and we'd never have any discussions about his weaknesses. But alas thats not the modern game we see today. Ah when I was a lad........

That is simply untrue Gav.

In a 4-2-3-1 a striker must be able to do more than score. He must at the very least be able to receive the ball into feet and play it into the oncoming '3'. Otherwise those three are never able to turn and face the opposition goal.

If said striker is unable to play this role then he must be able to run the channels, stretch the opposition defence and provide an option to alleviate any pressure and give the team the opportunity to get forward.

Unfortunately Rhodes is poor at both. Probably the reason that he will never play at the top level - or certainly not for very long. If you can name me a striker in the world now who is considered only a marksman like Rhodes is, and plays regularly at the top level then please let me know. If not I will maintain the belief that if Rhodes ever wants to fulfill his potential, he must improve his obvious flaws. Sounds harsh but tough.

Look how Sturridge has had to adapt. He now runs the flanks. Both Suarez goals brilliantly set up by him offering an outlet against Sunderland. (clip below)

Torres against City. Fantastic work to set up Schurrle for their first goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mTrevfjofg

Any other examples welcome of course.

To quote you Gav, your statement was 'Bunkum'.

Oh and regarding Rhodes being half as good as Lineker - he won't be

If Rhodes reads half the postings on here he'll be off at the earliest opportunity,strikers so I thought were on the pitch to score goals not run around like headless chickens but apparently scoring 10 goals after 13 league games is not good enough Jimmy Greaves and Simon Garner would laugh their heads of at some of the suggestions posted on here about Jordan Rhodes and don't tell me the game has changed the in nearly 60 years of watching this game the idea is still the same to score more goals than the opposition to win.

I wish all the other players did their jobs as effectively as Rhodes. His main function is to score goals. How I wish our keeper kept goal, our defenders defended and our midfield passed the ball as well as Rhodes scores goals. I imagine we would be in the top three if this were true.

Archived