BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackpool vs. Blackburn Rovers- Saturday 26/10/13 3pm.

K-Hod

• Moderation Lead

So, following yet another dismal and disappointing defeat in a game we really should have been winning, we move on to the next one.

That being Blackpool away, last years game was a good day out on the sauce by the sea, ruined by 90 minutes of football, and where we witnessed Henning Berg and Michael Appleton pitting their wits against each other- in reality, in spite of a Blackpool victory there was no eventual winner.

The time before, was a much better occasion, both teams in the PL, and after Rovers took an early lead, we were pegged back by a sub scoring with pretty much his first touch. However, in the 90th or so minute, Brett Emerton, debatably offside, trickled a pea roller into the far corner, and the travelling support went wild! So much so, I wasnt confident the then temporary stand would hold!! And Sam Allardyce decided to do a cowboy impersonation, and do his lasso celebration- frankly, it was a great moment all round, as the Blackpool fans had been less than gracious following their equaliser.....

Anyway, I digress- Berg would soon be ousted, to be replaced by his conqueror that day, who served up some of the most negative, horrible football I can recall in my 20+ years of going to Ewood.

Ill not be there this year unfortunately, no mates of mine fancied it, and I think after the last minute debacle at Wigan, its probably best I dont potentially wind myself up by going along as well!!

Formed in 1887, 12 years after the Rovers, they gained entry into the Football League in time for the 1896-1897 season. They moved to Bloomfield Road in 1901, and like many grounds, following significant redevelopment, remains their home today.

They had their most successful era in the 1950s with 4 top 6 finishes, the best being a 2nd place finish behind Man United in 1955-56. They won the 1953 FA Cup, and this remains their only triumph in the competition. In the same year, they had 4 players in the England team.

The following Blackpool players made it into the Football League 100.

Jimmy Armfield

Alan Ball

Peter Doherty (not that one)

Sir Stanley Matthews

Stan Mortensen

Head to Head

Blackpool have had the upper hand over us down the years with 21 wins to our 15, and 14 draws. Though, Rovers do have the record scoreline of 5-0 in a 1930 League Division One match.

Players to play for/manage both clubs (that I/Google can find)

Players

Brett Ormerod (Began his career at Rovers)

Ben Burgess (See above)

Bradley Orr (I hope if hes able to play, our fans terrorise the mug)

Alan Wright (Blackpool Hall of Famer, left just before the PL win)

Simon Grayson (now managing arch-rivals Preston)

DJ Campbell (Dudley with the gold teeth)

Managers

Paul Ince (Shoot and an arrow on a notepad)

Michael Appleton (Harry Potters nemesis)

Sam Allardyce

Current Form

Blackpool are currently 5th, and unbeaten in their last 5, Rovers on the other hand, lie 11th following back-to-back defeats, so will obviously be keen to address that. I can only hope that we dont have to suffer the huge indignity of losing to a team managed by Paul Ince. Especially given recent leaked referees reports exposing the guvnor as a very angry man indeed!

A view from the oppo

For this part- Ive consulted my good friend, former housemate, and Blackpool supporter James Ainsworth.

How do you feel Blackpool have started the season, are you about where you expected to be at this point? (Granted its early days)

James- Im very happy to be anywhere near the playoffs, never mind in them. The farcically low levels of investment in our playing squad led most fans to believe wed be bottom half all year- and thats the best case scenario!

What are your views on Paul Ince? Has he surpassed expectations? (Bearing in mind how hes thought of at Ewood, and weve seen plenty of different managers recently!!)

James- I have a lot of friends who are Rovers fans, and I know he isnt highly thought of at Ewood. I dont think hes loved yet at Bloomfield, but I think were all agreed that hes doing a pretty decent job so far. The team is a lot more functional than were used to, with lots of set pieces and long balls, but I think we realise its a means to an end (survival). Personally, I feel it was wrong place and wrong time at BRFC, anyone post-Hughes was onto a loser.

We had a Blackpool fan on BRFCS before suggesting that hed swap Venkys for the Oystons- http://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php/topic/29270-would-you-swap-the-venkys-for-the-oystons/presumably, living in East Lancashire yourself, this isnt a viewpoint you share?!-

James- Well - up until this season I think it would be a toss-up. Again, with so many Rovers fans as mates, I've seen firsthand the debris that Venky's created over the last couple of years. However, the one thing you cannot deny that they have done is to provide financial investment - even if that has tended to go towards paying off managers or in the pockets of certain 'trusted' agents. Our problem with the Oystons is very simple - a lack of cash and, for myself, a lack of long-term goal-setting. I've heard from an ex-Burnley player (yes, I know this isn't what you guys would see as a credible source) that Karl Oyston offered him a job as Reserve-team manager. The basic wage was barely £13k a year and he lived in Rawtenstall at the time - no expenses, of course! What would be part of the contract would be a payment every time a player who had played in the reserve team setup was sold by the club. They just don't get it. They don't pay the going wages, they don't pay agents (not an entirely unpopular idea, to be fair) and they don't seem to have any kind of plan further than get to the end of the season with all our players out of contract and plan it from there. It's an approach that's barely worked down the road at Accrington Stanley, my hometown club, so it won't work long-term in the Championship. At this stage, given they've kept their gobs shut for a while, I'd have Venky's, no question.

Finally, what is your score prediction, and who, in your view, should our patched up defence pay particular attention to?

Score prediction - 1-0 to us, if not that then 0-0 or 1-0 to you! The danger man is Tommy Ince, no question. Though watch out for his dad's flying fists in the tunnel!

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully we'll have more about us than the Charlton game but i just can't see us getting anything here. We still don't seem a physical enough outfit at times in this division.

A comfortable 2 nil to the lashers.

Bigger game than it appeared a few weeks ago. Hopefully we can get a result and get back on track

4-2-3-1 with williamson and lowe sitting and cairney pushed further forward into the dunny/rochina role.

Big game needed from Kane this week facing ince. Looked shaky at timers this year, needs to be on his game this week tho

2-1 rovers win, king and cairney the scorers :)

I'd like to see us go 3-5-2 here as Spurr can play centre back and Kane's has been poor all season. Be nice to see Judge and Taylor get starts each as they both impressed me at the start of the season before they fell out of favour.

My Team would be:

Kean

Dann Killgallon Spurr

Taylor Cairney Williamson Judge King

Rhodes Best

If we were to play wing backs and 3 at the back, no way could we play King and Taylor, they are far too attacking and Ince would have a field day.

I'd go:

Kean

Henley Dann Kilgallon Spurr

Lowe Williamson

Cairney Judge King

Rhodes

Subs: Eastwood, Campbell, Best, Taylor, Kane, Marrow, Marshall.

If we were to play wing backs and 3 at the back, no way could we play King and Taylor, they are far too attacking and Ince would have a field day.

I'd go:

Kean

Henley Dann Kilgallon Spurr

Lowe Williamson

Cairney Judge King

Rhodes

Subs: Eastwood, Campbell, Best, Taylor, Kane, Marrow, Marshall.

is Henley even match fit yet? didn't play for the under 21 last night

my team would be

Kean

Kane Dann Kilgallon Spurr

Lowe Williamson

Taylor or Marshall Cairney King

Rhodes

Subs:- Eastwood, Marshall or Taylor, Judge, Best, DJ, Marrow, Henley

That's incredible footage

It's the FA Cup replay February 1960 on the way to the final, Dobing with two goals either side of the Dougan header

32000 on Bloomfield Rd that night but there were an incredible 51000 on Ewood four days earlier

That's how huge the FA Cup was in them days

It's impossible to explain to kids what a wonderful, charismatic thing the FA Cup was and how highly regarded a trip to Wembley - practically impossible other than in the cup - was

A cup game against Blackpool in the 20's attracted nearly 61,000 on Ewood!!

What a Kean allocation for this game.

1-1

my team would be

Kean

Lowe Williamson

Rhodes

Marshall should be dropped, I think Judge deserves a start, Taylor was poor v Huddersfield, now Judge deserves a go.

my team would be

Kean

Lowe Williamson

Rhodes

My god !

That is a poor team ....

I'd rest Kane and play Lowe at right back in an effort to nullify Ince. Replace Lowe with Williamson in the holding defensive role and Marshall to be replaced by Taylor on the right.

The rest as was in a 442.

Hopefully we won't resort to lumping the ball forward to be gobbled up by a big Lasher's defence and try to get round the back on the wings.

I'm not optimistic but nor was I at Bournemouth by the sea either!

COYB!

my team would be

Kean

Lowe Williamson

Rhodes

Thats pretty much the team that played, finished and failed to score a goal at home to a poor Charlton team so what make you think they can do it away.

Archived