BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RANT

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

That does annoy me, 'news' programmes, plugging other shows on their channel. They all do it now. Just watch, we'll have a few Doctor Who actors on BBC breakfast news, plugging this upcoming show. If you're a news programme, report on the news, not have infomercials bigging up your entertainment programmes.

Still it takes some going to beat CNN with their sponsored walk from the desk to the sofa when they discuss certain issues (no really, look it up).

Guest Norbert

Dan Brown's books. Interesting stories, but very badly formed. It is like someone writing a book as part of a GCSE project and getting over excited with the trivia and random facts, things they just have to put in regardless of whether it interrupts the flow of the story. Very frustrating.

That does annoy me, 'news' programmes, plugging other shows on their channel. They all do it now. Just watch, we'll have a few Doctor Who actors on BBC breakfast news, plugging this upcoming show. If you're a news programme, report on the news, not have infomercials bigging up your entertainment programmes.

Still it takes some going to beat CNN with their sponsored walk from the desk to the sofa when they discuss certain issues (no really, look it up).

Use of the American word upcoming instead of the correct forthcoming. Is there a verb to "big up" ? And what's an informercial ?

Guest Norbert

You're just bitter because you are much closer to death than I am. Thanks for reminding me of the word forthcoming though, it does sound better.

• Backroom

Use of the American word upcoming instead of the correct forthcoming. Is there a verb to "big up" ? And what's an informercial ?

An infomercial is an advert that's informative rather than merely selling a service (which commercials do).

An example of an infomercial would be that drink-driving advert where the schizophrenic barman plays all the roles in the consequences of serving the customer another drink.

Guest Norbert

It can also be one of those long winded adverts you find that are usually plugging some new gadget when a TV channel has not started broadcasting.

• Backroom

Dan Brown's books. Interesting stories, but very badly formed. It is like someone writing a book as part of a GCSE project and getting over excited with the trivia and random facts, things they just have to put in regardless of whether it interrupts the flow of the story. Very frustrating.

Add Twilight & 50 Shades of Nonsense to this.

Electronic garbage cooked up by a computer in someone's bedroom being championed as better than melodic acoustic crafted actual music and un-engineered vocals.

Oh and the "Top 40".

I don't really mind that. It's just another instrument imo.

What bugs me most about music is the endless succession of boy bands who can sing and dance a bit at best but don't have a creative or musical skill in their bodies. Boy Band = song and dance act.

No-one knows how close to death they are.

Think on.

Think that might feel like somebody just walked over your grave Norbert. As Stuart says 'think on' and consider that the favourite doesn't win every race.

Guest Norbert

Hey Gordon, I'm lucky and resilient, but the latter is more than because I have a strong immune system and this isn't the place to go into all that.

• Backroom

I hate this trend of showing you all the highlights of a television programme at the start of it. I have to fast forward through 5 minutes so as not to watch all of my intellectual programme twice!

American shows are even worse, Ramsey's kitchen nightmares tells you what's coming up along with what's just been on about twice an hour!

Anyway I have important things to do (like watching too fat to fly)

Amanda Holden always saying she's had 2 children. Wrong, you've had 3, one went through a miscarriage you dismissive bitch.

That's possibly the worst post I have ever had the displeasure of reading on this messageboard.

What a despicable thing to say, with no justification whatsoever.

Amanda Holden always saying she's had 2 children. Wrong, you've had 3, one went through a miscarriage.

Removed unnecessary insult.

What a strange and imo bitter post. Reading between the lines it sounds like she conceived 3 children but she did only have 2. So whats the issue here? Are you saying that she wanted to miscarry?

Archived