BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RANT

Stand by my 'African American' position though, absolutely ridiculous.'None of them really wanted to be American in the first place', good grief - they were born in Denver or Pittsburgh or something, grow up.

Historians now know between 1500 and 1800 more Africans went to the New World than Europeans. The Africans did so in chains.

What African Americans call themselves is entirely their business. I'd hazard a guess most of them see themselves as American first and African second. But in terms of the name their ethnicity is now known as publicly, African American is so much better than every other word that has been used to describe them in the past.

I know where you are coming from with finding hyphenated Americans annoying. Anyone who has been to Dublin on St. Patrick's Day knows that "Irish for a day -Americans" wind everyone up. But the term African-American is different.

I don't know where the "grow up" comment came from, probably just your standard snark. But I would have thought whist you were "growing up", you might have learnt a bit of historical perspective.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But why do you think English is "yours"? Did you invent it? I think not.

And if it is a matter of ancestry, there are more people of English ancestry outside of England than Englishmen in England. And there is the small matter that many within England are immigrants or children of immigrants themselves, so they have no more claim to it than I would.

Claiming to own a language is laughable. One might as well claim to own the color "blue".

Yes Steve we did (though "invent" isn't the right word) The English language is principally 6th century German with french and Latin additions and French spelling. We can't of course ignore the early Nordic/Danish and Greek influences either. To suggest we simply adopted a "pure" language is wrong. English as a language was named after the country that was created by the Saxon/ Angle settlers. So yes we can lay "claim" to it as our own. We were simply kind enough to share it with the rest of the world. :tu:

Post Script;

Sir. May I advert to your good self the weighty tome written by a most splendid fellow countryman of yours, to wit. One William Bryson and his excellent work "Mother Tongue" Whilst one can not claim this to be The definitive work on the subject. You shall I am sure find his prose to be both entertaining and dare I say it? Educational!.....In other words. Try a bit of Bill. You'll love it! ;)

I agree about Stan Collymore, although I must confess to listening to Talksport a little from time to time. Stan, your accent is ridiculous, and it's laughable that you have a job in mainstream media when you perv on people pumping each other in car parks at night, and all bets are off when you beat women.

Of Talksport presenters, is there anyone more irritating than Colin Murray ?

In addition:

In your face Gays. I have lots of gay mates, they go about their daily lives, no fuss, good luck to them. it's the 'I'm Gay and there's nothing you can do about it' types - eh ? Nobody cares mate.

Now you mention it................. The meaning of the word gay being altered to replace the term homosexual. Gay means happy.

Actually, at this point there are more of us than there are of you. You are speaking a version of OUR language, not vice-versa. Not anymore.

English was the first language spoken on the moon. Albeit by an American.

As far as the world sees it you lot speak English and thats that ...... unless of course you'd like to reimburse us for breach of copywright.

Adults with the attention span of kids. Something I expect will become a lot more widespread in the future as society becomes fully immersed in the digital age.

For example people at the cinema who seem to find it physically impossible to just shut up and sit there for 2 hours. They either have to talk or **** around on their mobile at some point.

Another one that used to drive me mad at college was people who are doing work on a computer and find it necessary to give everyone around them an audio track of the difficulties they encounter. A collection of attention-seeking sighs, grumbles, whispered curses. Something along the lines of "Nobody cares, shut the hell up!" was often rolling around in my head.

For example people at the cinema who seem to find it physically impossible to just shut up and sit there for 2 hours. They either have to talk or **** around on their mobile at some point.

Last time I went to the flicks, this middle-aged couple sat near us. The old boy couldn't stop rummaging through his plastic bag or turning to his wife and saying pointless crap like: "I can't decide if this film was made in America or Canada!" When I told him to politely stfu, he made out like I was the one in the wrong!

• Backroom

Women who wear leggings that are just basically tights where you can see their underwear . Usually overweight women. Revolting .

Even when it's a rather fit lass, I hate this. Leave it to my imagination please love.

Now you mention it................. The meaning of the word gay being altered to replace the term homosexual. Gay means happy.

Gay meant homosexual before homosexual was even a word. Been around since Henry VIII, if you believe QI.

• Moderation Lead

T-shirts, beanie hats and baseball caps with the word 'hype' on them.

The sheeple love them.

Girls that wear 'geek' t-shirts but can't pass nvq health and beauty...

I saw the geekiest, spottiest, teenage lad the other week with a t-shirt on saying 'GEEK' in huge letters.

I saw one, sans t-shirt, with the most stunning girlfriend on his arm. I had to console myself with the idea he must have a large....inheritance.

• Backroom

I saw the geekiest, spottiest, teenage lad the other week with a t-shirt on saying 'GEEK' in huge letters. I know he's probably trying to be ironic but bloody hell mate reel it in a bit that's just asking to be bullied at school.

Being deaf and a WWE fan, I bought a StoneCold 'What?' T-shirt. Dat Irony :/

Guest Norbert

Massively overweight people on spaz chariots. Just because you have a dodgy hip or whatever, it doesn't mean you can hoover up a million biscuits and sit on your arse all day you greedy nobber. Get some exercise so I don't have to see your cankles.

Being deaf and a WWE fan, I bought a StoneCold 'What?' T-shirt. Dat Irony :/

You have my sympathy for being deaf but being a WWE fan is totally self inflicted.

A capella covers of great songs annoy me. I came across a group doing a medaly of Daft Punk songs on youtube. I really wish I didnt know it existed. It made my blood boil.

These cover songs are arranged like a tracing of a beautiful painting or a stunning photograph done by a bunch of 3 year olds with a box of crayolas.

The resulting 'harmony' is like being served a plastic tray full of the vomit of a group of people who all ate the same lunch. They then encourage you to click on a link so you can watch them vomit classic lyrics in concert. No thank you!

Archived