BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RANT

As I said, Radio 1 knows it market and is aimed squarely at it. I would imagine men in the 20s would want something more sophisticated.

I don't see your problem. .

Well I'd argue it doesn't know its market. Its market is young people, thats what it says its there for. If all Radio 2 is gonna play is stuff from the 80s and older then that young people should encompass anyone under 35. And the market its aimed as is a small slice of very young people with neither the intelligence or desire to buy albums instead of singles or to be a bit savvy and listen to singles on the internet for free. In my opinion this comprises mainly one gender of mainly one pre-adult age group.

Where would men in their 20s find something more sophisticated that also represents their era? (90s and 00s). I can't see anywhere that the bbc, an organisation with an obligation to be representative, provides for it. Possibly Radio 6, after they tried to shut it down and decided at the last minute not to. The Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, The Killers, Keane, Imagine Dragons have all released singles recently. All youth-oriented bands. Do we ever hear them on Radio 1? No cause they don't make the vacuous Nick Grimshaw squeal with delight and want to bop along with his girlfriends.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

Radio 1 is aimed at those generic, limited commercial stations like Kiss or Capital and not really for a certain age group. It has a slightly wider playlist, but it is very much a pop station, which appeals to anyone who likes that sort of thing. Bands like Nirvana or the Manics may have got on in the 90's, but a newer equivalent would have no chance as the controller of the station would see it as 'what the kids want' regardless of record sales.

:Re. That is not what I said Al. Use your brain, I know you have one that normally works.

Radio 1 is aimed at those generic, limited commercial stations like Kiss or Capital and not really for a certain age group. It has a slightly wider playlist, but it is very much a pop station, which appeals to anyone who likes that sort of thing. Bands like Nirvana or the Manics may have got on in the 90's, but a newer equivalent would have no chance as the controller of the station would see it as 'what the kids want' regardless of record sales.

:Re. That is not what I said Al. Use your brain, I know you have one that normally works.

What's not what you said? Not sure what you are on about now.

If I listen to music it's usually in the car and Absolute never Radio 1 or 2. Occasional long MWay journey I might give Classical / Radio 3 a go. I used to like JazzFM cos there was plenty of old blues but since it switched to smooth I find it insipid and dire.

The other thing that winds me up about that station is this quasi-english black London accent that every single presenter insists on adopting. I swear the reason Moyles got canned is because he wouldn't use words like sick and safe and prounounce words with the accuracy of an 8 year old cause apparently it sounds cool.

Spot on, they sound ridiculous. I liked the Moyles show, and so did over a milion listeners who switched off when it was given to the lightweight Grimshaw.

Radio 2 ? Chris Evans is brilliant in the morning, Ken Bruce too (although I'm cursing the radio like an idiot when they delay their answers on Popmaster long enough to check the laptop)

Jeremy Vine and then it most certainly stops when 'Steve Wright in the afternoon' starts. That vacuous self aggrandising overweight bellend can whoop and clap all he wants. I've got Floyd,Queen, Motorhead, The Smiths etc on my lovely iPhone 5, and a cable to connect it to the auxhiliary socket.

Anyway, why aren't we ranting ?!

Anyone, I mean anyone who pub sings at a free and easy night ("nobody sings it like George")

People who spit, women who spit, people who spit on women who spit.

When I have a look in 'GAME' and have to stand near to people who stink

Bumfluff on a bloke's chin

Calling three or four adolescents who barely sing in harmony a Band

Despite where they choose to put it :unsure: ................... but as I am of a sensitive disposition lets not get murky eh ultrablue?

That's kind of like Benny Hill humour, to me at least, thought that was hilarious as many of your posts are.

Why are cheques still in place in this day and age? Is there something that a bank transfer can't do that a cheque can, other than slow things down?

You can't blame a bank transfer for a cheque "lost" in the post :) better a few days extra interest in my account than anybody elses .

Disclaimer , always pay small business's on time, mostly before deadline, just the large ones that can swivel for their payments.

We were in Sainsbury's several months back and the checkout captain... ^_^ ... told us to take our trolley to the self-service checkout because the other checkouts were full and backed up. Seconds later an angry lady joined the queue and started scolding us. We had to explain we were told to use the self-service checkout by the checkout captain. She believed us, thankfully, and then started scolding the checkout captain. :blush:

What is a "checkout captain" when it's at home ? Good reason never to use Sainsbury's.

Which reminds me of another irritation: daft or grandiose names such as "checkout captain" for mundane jobs.

Why are cheques still in place in this day and age? Is there something that a bank transfer can't do that a cheque can, other than slow things down?

Cheques are very useful for those who have no wish to embrace the digital "revolution". I hope they continue for a long time.

So here's another irritation: companies that conduct all their business on the internet and communicate only by email. Why can't they have a phone number so that customers can actually talk to someone ?

• Moderation Lead

What is a "checkout captain" when it's at home ? Good reason never to use Sainsbury's.

Which reminds me of another irritation: daft or grandiose names such as "checkout captain" for mundane jobs.

'Sandwich Artist' as well....

Guest Norbert

I've worked at Subway. You don't need me to say that is not exactly a great job title to put on your CV. And then there were the T-shirts you had to wear when there was a promotion..............

Cheques are very useful for those who have no wish to embrace the digital "revolution". I hope they continue for a long time.

So here's another irritation: companies that conduct all their business on the internet and communicate only by email. Why can't they have a phone number so that customers can actually talk to someone ?

Does your computer have a handle on the side to wind it up? Digital revolution indeed!

Fox News.

Sorry if it's too American but it really does my head in. I can't watch it for more than 30 seconds without starting to seethe.

They had, and may still do, a cause celebre whereby their loyalists ask for the channel to be switched on in businesses/eateries that have TV's - McDonalds etc. Arseholes.

And that they are too expensive.

My old company had 'digital champions' and 'retail buddies', bleeding nonsense. Adding on more responsibilities for no extra pay.

Rant - People who don't strap their kids in when they are in the car, irresponsible.

Archived