BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RANT

People who misuse the word "literally".

Motorists (usually BMW or 4 x 4 drivers) who fail to wave and say thanks when you pull in to let them through.

Come to that BMW and 4 x 4 drivers - arrogant ignoramuses the lot of them

Add Audi drivers to that too. If there's a car up your arse on the motorway, no matter what speed you're doing, then it's almost always a bloody Audi.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add Audi drivers to that too. If there's a car up your arse on the motorway, no matter what speed you're doing, then it's almost always a bloody Audi.

That's because they don't own them and couldn't care less.

In fact, add them to the list.

Sodding company car drivers flying up and down the motorways at excessive speeds at the taxpayer's expense.

There are a lot of gripes regarding Americanisms. I didn't realise that it had become so prevalent in and around East Lancs.

Businessspeak does wind me up though. I used to have a boss who had a degree in it. Complete and utter waffle. My all time worst is "we'll take that offline" during conference calls.

Another is people at self serve check out at supermarkets who haven't a clue what to do. Why use it? It is quicker to do it the normal way. All you do is hold people up.

• Backroom

I hate the prevalence of the self-service machine. Even my local library has it now. Whatever happened to human interaction?

I love them tbh. Better than waiting in a queue whilst some dopey sod tries to count change, or a mother spends hours getting her shopping bagged because the kids are messing around.

• Moderation Lead

There are a lot of gripes regarding Americanisms. I didn't realise that it had become so prevalent in and around East Lancs.

Businessspeak does wind me up though. I used to have a boss who had a degree in it. Complete and utter waffle. My all time worst is "we'll take that offline" during conference calls.

Another is people at self serve check out at supermarkets who haven't a clue what to do. Why use it? It is quicker to do it the normal way. All you do is hold people up.

I was at ASDA the other day, and someone in the 25 items or less self-serve conveyor belt had a full week's shop and took an eternity........ Infuriating.

I like the way they always expect you to know what all their acronyms mean? Oh ye PPPPGOKEANYOURSELF, we use that all the time, who doesn't?? Twits.

Also having to use the term 'soccer' in scientific writing as using football confuses certain countries.

Why no American can explain to me why american football is called football when you play it with your hands?

• Backroom

I was at ASDA the other day, and someone in the 25 items or less self-serve conveyor belt had a full week's shop and took an eternity........ Infuriating.

Very irritating when somebody walks into the self service area with a trolley full of stuff. They should be told to go to a normal till. The point of self service is that it's supposed to be quick.

• Backroom

Yes this literally drives me insane! My pet peeve is people saying they (usually Americans) 'could care less'

And what is the deal with airline food?

I like the way they always expect you to know what all their acronyms mean? Oh ye PPPPGOKEANYOURSELF, we use that all the time, who doesn't?? Twits.

Also having to use the term 'soccer' in scientific writing as using football confuses certain countries.

Why no American can explain to me why american football is called football when you play it with your hands?

Good one. "Soccer" winds me up full stop or should I say "period" ?)

Soccer is for US women and public schoolboys. The rest of the world plays football.

I hate the prevalence of the self-service machine. Even my local library has it now. Whatever happened to human interaction?

My local library only has about 3 real books in it. 'Modern' libraries really wind me up. A row of computers and a selection of celebrity autobiographies (as if half of them can even write) and cookery books is not a library! It's WHSmiths with added Google.

What the hell was wrong with rows and rows of floor to ceiling, solid wooden shelving, filled with musty old books? I used to love going to the library as a kid, trawling through the history section, pulling out old tomes that no one had looked at in years.

The only thing my library has now that I don't have at home is a photocopier. I've never used it. I only ever go in so that I can tut under my breath and sheak my head wistfully.

Anyone who makes a derogatory remark about a food I'm about to eat.

For example "Squid? Ergh I'd never eat that. It looks weird."

I'm not the weird one for eating something most of the world eats. You are in the wrong. Keep your mouth shut.

Ah but then I've seen you eat live octopus so some of what you eat is totally weird.

Sodding company car drivers flying up and down the motorways at excessive speeds at the taxpayer's expense.

Given the current company car tax situation of which you appear blissfully and completely unaware and which involves a formula penalising cost price and emissions and based on personal tax rate I can only assume that you are referring to the Traffic Police.

It seems that your opinions were formed (by jealousy) in the days of Ford Capri. You should try to keep up.

Very irritating when somebody walks into the self service area with a trolley full of stuff. They should be told to go to a normal till. The point of self service is that it's supposed to be quick.

Whilst we are on this subject I bloody well hate these self service machines. Those automated paying in machines in the banks are just bloody ridiculous. They continually fail to read paying in slips and cheques correctly and invariably have a member of the bank staff standing next to them trying to persuade customers to use them who are waiting in a queue and steadfastly ignoring them by choice ..... all the time whilst there are numerous 'windows' closed at the counter. Large retailers too @#/? me off when they allow queues to form with vacant tills shut. If somebody is willing to give me money then the last thing I'm going to do is make them stand around and wait to do so.

Good one. "Soccer" winds me up full stop or should I say "period" ?)

Soccer is for US women and public schoolboys. The rest of the world plays football.

Best one I've ever seen was giving a lecture on football (real football) training and how to make it representative of what they do on the pitch. Some cocky american student obviously thought he could make a fool of me and started wittering on about how what I had put up wasn't what they did on the pitch. Turns out he thought the lecture was about their version, despite the flyers etc having a pic of a soccer players and a soccer ball. I almost @#/? myself when I realised he'd gotten the sport wrong. Didn't see him next week funnily enough.

Ah but then I've seen you eat live octopus so some of what you eat is totally weird.

seriously live octopus???

I take it you're pulling my tentacle Gumboots?

Given the current company car tax situation of which you appear blissfully and completely unaware and which involves a formula penalising cost price and emissions and based on personal tax rate I can only assume that you are referring to the Traffic Police.

It seems that your opinions were formed (by jealousy) in the days of Ford Capri. You should try to keep up.

If company cars are that bad a deal are you going to hand yours back and join the real world by running your own ? Nah, didn't think so.

Talking tax avoiders why when the country is in fiscal difficulties are they so many ways of avoiding (legally) paying tax ?

And why when the world economy is struggling and corporate greed rife are the multinationals allowed to evade tax by shifting their assets around tax havens ?

Sannakji! Oldboy style.

Another thing which doesn't wind me up or anything, I just don't get it are those big aboriginal hoop lobe earrings. I think they look ridiculous.

Archived