BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Brighton

Neal

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you implying that the younger fans only want to support a winning team? Doesn't matter if you are young or old you stick with a club and support that club through good times and bad. If you wander off when things get tough then I would question the depth of your support for the club. As one of the "older generation" I'm pleased to say I know any number of younger fans who have stuck with the club and will continue to stick with the club irrespective of who the owners, manager or players might be at any given time. It is the club that matters.

That post feels like it's missing a prefix (or suffix):

"At a normal club under normal circumstances".

Under Venkys we don't have either.

If you don't get enjoyment out of it then its simple - don't go but to make out that most people have "real lives" and people go to watch Rovers (or any other club) out of some "weird sense of obligation" suggests that you really need to take a step back.

I find it more weird that you feel like that you have to come on a so called fans message board and mock hard core fans who will follow the club through thick and thin for not having "real lives".

There are still plenty of fans that will follow the club regardless, wear blue and white tinted specs, discuss each game on a game by game basis instead of analysing what has happened over the past 3 years every time we lose or draw a game and you will find that most don't bother coming on here.

Sometimes I really wonder whether it is worth even bothering with this message board anymore.

Suit yourself... whether you come on or not is your free choice remember, just as going to Ewood is the same.

btw I didn't interpret any mockery in TomM's post.

Meanwhile Saturday I'll spend the morning at Bloomfield Road helping Blackpool fans with their inaugural meeting to form a Trust, I'll make a public presentation on Rovers and Rovers Trust, I'll leave at 1.15pm, drive to Preston, pick up my lad, go to Ewood.

So if some want to criticise me that's OK. Go ahead because I couldn't, and you'll have to excuse me, give a @#/? what they think.

Me neither. btw whilst you are there ask the Donkey lashers what they think of the 'Lancashire County' option. They haven't won sweet FA in over 60 years and the way football has 'progressed' never will either.

Brilliant post Paul and sums up a lot of people's feelings

I've missed a couple of games at Ewood this season purely because I decided on the day that a day spent with my 2 year old was the better option, not on either occasion did I feel like I had to justify that and both times felt happy with the decision.

Everyone is free to make their choices on how they want to support the club and criticism for that is a measure of the person doing the criticising rather than the opposite.

Bloody modern parenting! :rolleyes: Whats up with you young man? When I was in your situation Ewood Park and the local were my 'boltholes'.

But I wonder how I will feel in August. I know it will depend on what happens in the close season. I wonder how I will feel if I am riding my bike through Pleasington or somewhere and I hear the crowd roar that Rovers have scored. So, it turns full circle and I am busy turning into one of the 1960 brigade like all those old men before me.

It's a fifties thing imo.

Been there years ago when I genuinely couldn't afford to go to matches. I would hear on the radio that Rovers had scored and it pulled at my heart strings that I was not there. They never appeared on TV in those days and all I got were radio and newspaper reports. Thankfully things are much better now but when it crosses my mind not to buy a season ticket I remember what it was like then and I tell myself not to be silly. I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

I played football on Saturdays and couldn't wait for the results and the Sports Pink. Printed and sold so quickly the ink was still wet.

• Backroom

Me neither. btw whilst you are there ask the Donkey lashers what they think of the 'Lancashire County' option. They haven't won sweet FA in over 60 years and the way football has 'progressed' never will either. Bloody modern parenting! :rolleyes: Whats up with you young man? When I was in your situation Ewood Park and the local were my 'boltholes'.

Ha ha I should stress those games were over Christmas, rovers v sheff Wednesday or play with his new castle? Only one winner

Watching Micheal Keane stand off Brighton for their third goal is embarrassing, dont think he could get as far away as possible instead of doing his job by being brave and closing the ball down.

Ha ha I should stress those games were over Christmas, rovers v sheff Wednesday or play with his new castle? Only one winner

You went to watch Stoke get battered? Glory hunter! ;)

I am one of the people who have crawled back. I have had a ST in the Darwen End this year as it is cheap although a poor view.

Even though I have an ST I miss about 40% of games, I have only done 2 away games this season (normally 60%+) and these were Carlisle away (Micky Mouse Cup) and Burnley (on a freebie).

I hate the Poona idiots that run my Club, and I am still angry at how these idiots have destroyed the infrastructure and our fan base. I am also pretty angry at how some our fans have blindly criticised those who dared to demonstrate.

However it is time to move on and recognise where Rovers are. We are mid Championship material at the very best, and will probably face a number of delegations skirmishes for many years. We will have to sell Rhodes and every decent youngster who comes through our ranks, we will have to survive on home gates circa 8,000 boosted by the likes of Leeds etc. We will also struggle to attract any decent corporate income.

We are in a desperate state. I will still buy a ST out of 50 years loyalty watching my team. I do however get little or no enjoyment out of watching the Rovers, probably because since the early 90's I enjoyed riding the Rovers dream. We are now back to the sh!te of the early 80's.

Get used to it fellow supporters, fans and acquaintances.....the future is grim.

I chatted to a fellow 50 year fan on Saturday over a pint. He was a regular poster on here until 18 months or so ago. He dropped his ST of 30 years before the start of last season and intended to pay on a match-by-match basis. His only home game since the start of last season was Wolves. He is typical of many Rovers supporters and can I criticise him...... NO. He has found life outside of Rovers.

People have choices in life, people have different views and take different views. I have decided to stay with the Blues, I may be barmy or bonkers for doing so but it is my choice until, or if, I decide otherwise.

I don't see why it has to be so bad (at least if we don't go into administration)

It doesn't need to be the EARLY eighties, it could quite easily be the LATE eighties.

I really loved Don Mackay's team (most of the time) and three seasons on the spin in the top 5

Next season could be like one of those, it doesn't need to be awful.

I don't see why it has to be so bad (at least if we don't go into administration)

It doesn't need to be the EARLY eighties, it could quite easily be the LATE eighties.

I really loved Don Mackay's team (most of the time) and three seasons on the spin in the top 5

Finances are the problem.

Will the Raos continue to fund a massive loss making mid table Championship side? Something will have to change, because they can't possibly be happy with the current situation.

The difference being that back then the players had passion and hunger . Nowadays they are like pampered pooches. You could and I did go out and have a beer or two with the players and they could relate to the fans. Nowadays they are not arsed over fans once they leave in their lambo's and porches.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Parsonblue's match reports are back! Read the Brighton match report on the front page here.

Many thanks to Parsonblue and I'm very glad he is able to get to the games again.

The difference being that back then the players had passion and hunger . Nowadays they are like pampered pooches. You could and I did go out and have a beer or two with the players and they could relate to the fans. Nowadays they are not arsed over fans once they leave in their lambo's and porches.

If they didn't have passion and hunger then they wouldn't be where they are.

Oh ok they are more passionate than the 80's squad ?

Abbey, don't you think that a number of the 80's squads were much better players than we have today? I know I'd rather have Gennoe, Branagan, Keeley, Faz, Rathbone, Miller, Barker, Garner, Brotherston etc. over any of the modern lot.

Abbey, don't you think that a number of the 80's squads were much better players than we have today? I know I'd rather have Gennoe, Branagan, Keeley, Faz, Rathbone, Miller, Barker, Garner, Brotherston etc. over any of the modern lot.

That squad was a little earlier in the 80's. Always one or two players away from being a very good side at that level. A real team however and all knew their roles and would fight hard for each other. Some very talented players nevertheless.

Add Sellars, Price, Hendry, Archibald, etc later and the team improved again. Rhodes and Gestede would love Sellars and Miller whipping them in.

I've never quite got over Miller's miss at Selhurst Park. Probably a harder chance than it looked but always stuck in my mind - a bit like MGP's at OT in the Semi.

Liked both of those Lads a lot though.

If they didn't have passion and hunger then they wouldn't be where they are.

Passion and hunger for the newest car or house or classy model haven't got us to the playoffs though.

But not Jon Millar and our captain, Nicky.......Nicky?...........sorry, I've forgotten his name.

Archived