BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Brighton

Neal

Bowyer is no genius in my book despite Rhodes scoring as we have been poor the first 20. Been better after the goal as the ball is being kept more on the floor and they actually try to play football. Still seems without a clear plan if you ask me. Poor league and Brighton are equally poor so this could go either way. Probably another 2-2 with Rovers finally getting a penalty...

Now to sit back and see if they can give us 3-3.....

Took about 1 min that - 3-3

Are you flippin psychic or what?

Last 15 minutes, Kean was not playing like a proper full back. It showed he is a CB. In the summer Rovers need a good right full back.

Good game for the neutral, though.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the response.

That long? I could understand the first 10 games but half a season?

I'm one of the few who hopes he keeps his job. He deserves it for keeping us up last season. I just hope he has learned a hell of a lot tactically from this season and gets to add to some of the very good signings he's already made.

If he hasn't improved then i agree that 10/15 games is enough.

Having said all that if someone of the ability of Billy Davies (vile man that he is) offered his services in the summer then the people running the club would be foolish not to appoint him. The trouble is the people running the club are foolish.

I'm one of the few who hopes he keeps his job. He deserves it for keeping us up last season.

He did deserve his chance I've never doubted that but surely he's had it this season? If there were was a spell of form to refer to this season which would indicate that there is more to come from this team next season, then I could understand... But there hasn't been, no run of games, few convincing wins and very convincing defeats.

He cannot be allowed more than 10 games at the start of next season.

Just got in. Hate to say this but:

1. Inept defending

2. Poorly set up,team by Bowyer

3. Baffling substitutions by Bowyer

4. Lots and lots of angry fans

5. A real attendance of circa 7,000 , probably less (not a single part of the ground had 25% capacity)

The positives included great work by Spurr for our second goal.

This must be Robbo's last season.

A sad night.

How was the ride on the virgin?

We were at our best and on top when we pressed high up the pitch but we should have been doing this from the first to the last minute. I would love to know what the scouting report about Brighton actually said because for the opening period of the game we let them play their passing game without any pressure. The game kind of summed up our season which has at times promised so much but ultimately will deliver nothing. It also showed Bowyer up for the barren tactician that he is. I'm convinced that we will be talking about exactly the same things this time next year as he just doesn't seem to be improving or more importantly learning.

Are we fit enough to play this way?

IMO the injury jinx struck again - if Evans had stayed on I am sure we woudlnt hsve dropped off so much. Do agree about Williamson - did the odd good thing but on the whole was overrun - having to make last minute challenges as he struggled to keep up with the game.

It is, I have.

Went on the club training ride, 31miles at average of 16.2mph and managed to hang on to the guys topping 21 for nearly four miles. Very pleased.

Two hours on a bike is a lot more fun than two hours at Ewood.

The season was over at Christmas and as I said then Bowyer is not the man to take Rovers up. Every match I've seen since proves it again, and again.

Not sure if we will bother again this season unless the weather is truly crap. People have choices and take them.

See above.

Supporter in the good times; disappears in the bad times. With "fans" like this.....

You are rivaling chaddy.

Thoughts about tonight..

Robinson beaten on the near post for the first is not good enough.

Robinson attempting an amateurish double handed punch from a corner gave away the next corner from which they scored their second. He then in tru GK fashion had a right old go at one or more of his defenders. He needs to look in a mirror for the culprit. Of late he has taken to that crappy 'double handed punch' option far too often. A quality keeper of his standing should have caught that ball easily.

That Lingard has some quality. On loan from MU I believe.

Ince reminded me of Ivan Campo the way he bossed deep midfield for Brighton. I think if he had stayed on for the first 20 of the 2nd half would no way have seen as much BRFC dominance.

Overall a quite enjoyable game that we should have won but spewed cos of poor finishing in the first 30 of the 2nd half.

Fair play and thanks.

I'm one of the few who hopes he keeps his job. He deserves it for keeping us up last season. I just hope he has learned a hell of a lot tactically from this season and gets to add to some of the very good signings he's already made.

If he hasn't improved then i agree that 10/15 games is enough.

Having said all that if someone of the ability of Billy Davies (vile man that he is) offered his services in the summer then the people running the club would be foolish not to appoint him. The trouble is the people running the club are foolish.

It is the hope that kills you.

He did deserve his chance I've never doubted that but surely he's had it this season? If there were was a spell of form to refer to this season which would indicate that there is more to come from this team next season, then I could understand... But there hasn't been, no run of games, few convincing wins and very convincing defeats.

If he's playing 4 or 5 new signings then 10 games is nowhere near enough.

We need a new keeper, left back, right back, central defender and a Dunn replacement IMO

As for tonight's game, I quite enjoyed it. We played quite well in patches and abysmally in others. Conway was the stand out performer again.

I actually laughed when they scored their third, It was so Rovers.

Obviously our opinions differ on this but this season there's been massive upheaval in the playing squad. A turnover of 30+ players in less than 12 months would affect any team no matter who the manager. Bowyer is essentially starting from scratch. The succesful teams this year have had settled squads for a few seasons (Derby, Burnley, Leicester, Forest, Reading) The exceptions perhaps are QPR and Wigan but they've got huge budgets and far better and bigger squads than most.

As for Bowyer, i don't think he's a genius but i really do fear who the brains trust would appoint next. Some on here think that's a hollow arguement and don't care who replaces Bowyer, but they would if we appointed an idiot who dragged us back into the bottom three and all the good players wanted out.

If he's playing 4 or 5 new signings then 10 games is nowhere near enough.

I take your point but he's past the luxury of being afforded time. His summer signings need to be additions to the squad he's already built. This isn't a rebuilding job anymore, he's got a squad of capable players.

He's just got to make it work.

Supporter in the good times; disappears in the bad times. With "fans" like this.....

You clearly do not know how big a fan Paul is and the time, effort and money he has put on on behalf of the Club and fans.

A disgraceful comment about Paul IMO.

You clearly do not know how big a fan Paul is and the time, effort and money he has put on on behalf of the Club and fans.

A disgraceful comment about Paul IMO.

Maybe but you have to admit his mood swings are dramatic. Great whilst he's up but the toys can come out in an instant.

Another bitter-sweet night as a Rovers fan last night.

Some encouraging signs for next season (Providing the financial axe doesn't fall.)

Cairney's creativity has been sorely missed - good to have him back. I hope Evans' injury is just a knock because he is massive for us. Good display by Conway, and Rhodes did what he does. Real shame his well taken penalty didn't win the game - he looked as gutted as I was.

Robinson really struggles with any low shots, and getting beaten at his near post is poor. Think he made 1 save - which makes his 30k+ a week look expensive. He is a good leader, and does have some strengths to his game - but if further work needs to be done on the wage bill then I wouldn't be sorry to see him go in the summer - as long as he takes Kean and Eastwood with him and we get some decent stoppers in.

Also hoping Williamson doesn't feature next season - very slow and ponderous, not really got any real strengths as a player. When Marshall is back I would love to see him, Cairney, Evans and Conway as the midfield.

Another bitter-sweet night as a Rovers fan last night.

Some encouraging signs for next season (Providing the financial axe doesn't fall.)

Cairney's creativity has been sorely missed - good to have him back. I hope Evans' injury is just a knock because he is massive for us. Good display by Conway, and Rhodes did what he does. Real shame his well taken penalty didn't win the game - he looked as gutted as I was.

Robinson really struggles with any low shots, and getting beaten at his near post is poor. Think he made 1 save - which makes his 30k+ a week look expensive. He is a good leader, and does have some strengths to his game - but if further work needs to be done on the wage bill then I wouldn't be sorry to see him go in the summer - as long as he takes Kean and Eastwood with him and we get some decent stoppers in.

Also hoping Williamson doesn't feature next season - very slow and ponderous, not really got any real strengths as a player. When Marshall is back I would love to see him, Cairney, Evans and Conway as the midfield.

A good analysis Bucks. Conway was head and shoulders above the rest of the Team. Robbo was unfortunately very poor.

Maybe but you have to admit his mood swings are dramatic. Great whilst he's up but the toys can come out in an instant.

Nonsense. Like most people I've taken little or no pleasure from trips to Ewood these past three years.

These days if my son wants to go, regrettably increasingly less so, I take him if not I have other things to do with my time. Were it not for him I, like thousands, would probably have stopped a long time ago. As I've stated before it's a decision I've never had to make.

As for toys out of the pram? A laughable comment. Find me an instance.

I still pay for my tickets, used or not.

Nonsense. Like most people I've taken little or no pleasure from trips to Ewood these past three years. These days if my son wants to go, regrettably increasingly less so, I take him if not I have other things to do with my time. Were it not for him I, like thousands, would probably have stopped a long time ago. As I've stated before it's a decision I've never had to make. As for toys out of the pram? A laughable comment. Find me an instance. I still pay for my tickets, used or not.

You've said plenty times you only go because of your son. I think some people have touched a nerve.

Can't help but feel like it was a defeat last night. Poor start in the first 20 when for some crazy reason we chose to let them have the freedom of Ewood, the goal was way too easily worked between Rodriguez and Lingard and ended in Robinson (again) beaten on the near post, I did at the time and still after seeing a replay think that Hanley could have got way closer. The goal kicked us into life and we absolutely bossed the next 50 minutes, scoring 2 good goals and Conway in particular looking dangerous.

Then for me the match spun on its head, Evans going off injured coupled with Dunn going off just two minutes later made us lose all intensity and all composure on the ball, Brighton had more of the ball and looked particularly strong down their left with King never tracking back. We had a warning of their intention to expose our left side and they had men over but we managed to get it away for a corner, Robinson beaten on his near post again after some pretty awful marking by Rhodes from the corner. The last goal is as frustrating as any I've seen all season, waltzed into our box unopposed then an unopposed header. With all the goals conceded lately I don't put it down to us being more attacking, as taking the 2nd and 3rd into account couldn't have had more time to set ourselves up for their attack, they certainly didn't catch us on the break.

Robinson has worried me for a long time about getting beaten at his near post and from distance, he now has a bad habit off flapping at crosses (I say flapping because I'd consider a punch to land around 25yds away, a flap like we witness land usually around the box) which keep us well under pressure at the back. Still the worry is even with those flaws he is still for better than our 2nd and 3rd choice keepers.

It's strange that since Keane has come into the team we have shipped goals left, right and centre. When it was Kilgallon, Hanley, Spurr and Henley/Kane we didn't concede for over a month. Surely that is a coincidence as Keane has arguably been our best defender recently.

The goals are now starting to flow and we are a very potent threat going forward. The character in the squad is also very encouraging, coming from behind in the past 4 matches to get a result, including several late goals. Those are two traits of promotion winning teams: ability to score goals and bouncebackability.

Our defensive play recently has been far from promotion winning. Of course, promotion has gone for this season but promising signs for next season. Earlier in the season, if we went one down you thought that was probably it but last night I fancied us to come back even when we went one down.

A bit harsh that.

I had no idea we played last night. From reading a few pages here I think we drew but am not 100% on it.

It gets repeaeted ad nauseum but the owners actions since they bought BRFC have effectively killed the club. I live overseas and used to watch roughly 75% of games when we were a Premier League side. Now I can't be bothered. I have no interest in following a mid table Championship side run by idiots, managed by a competent yet unspectacular novice, and containing a load of players I've never heard of. I'll always be a Rovers fan, but don't have to put up with dross.

Gutted about the game.

It shows we have some quality on the ball especially with Cairney back in the team.

To be blunt what it highlights yet again is just how critical Evans is to us. There is no doubt for me when in the team we definitely seem capable of pressing teams higher up the pitch. When he went off the balance of the team went. For me with him on the pitch our midfield was in control of the game. He simply is better defensively than both Lowe and Williamson and also better on the ball than both. Even with him not yet fully match sharp.

I cant help but feel that we should have signed both Evans and Jones. If we had then when we lost Evans through injury we might have kept the balance and would be in a play off position. Id rather have Jones in the squad than Williamson but of course wasn't Williamson injured in summer so we could not have done that bit of business and moved Williamson out.

He may have his detractors but Lowe might have helped as a replacement for Evans last night.

But again if Marshall was fit as well as Lowe when Evans came off you could have had Conway, Lowe, Cairney and Marshall.

Lets hope that Evans has better luck next season injury wise.

8 goals in 3 matches and just 3 points to show for it. Rubbish that Lowe isn't he?

Just saying.

Great minds...........

but I'd counted 11 in 5 (well 4 and a bit actually). Yes, we've scored more too, but is having to score 3 per game sustainable? Might be old fashioned, but I'd take a 1-0 win over a 3-3 draw every time.

Yes we didn't sign jones but we managed to sign eastwood songhoo judge marrow. A real shame we signed that group instead.

Sigh

Would have preferred to have seen him in midfield this season instead of Williamson... That isn't some remark based on his performances at Burnley, I rated him highly whilst he was here. Really looks after the ball, would have helped us to be more calm in possession this season. Joke that we let him go.

Great minds...........

but I'd counted 11 in 5 (well 4 and a bit actually). Yes, we've scored more too, but is having to score 3 per game sustainable? Might be old fashioned, but I'd take a 1-0 win over a 3-3 draw every time.

I know. Cos we're always winning 1-0. :rolleyes:

Actually the stats show that we concede fewer goals per game when Lowe isn't playing (and gain more points). Not like Gordon to only look at a limited data set to make a judgement. He must be slipping.

Archived