BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

New Saints are out of the Conference League knocked out by a Luxembourg outfit so Harlock isn't going to benefit from European football. Hamrun and Gzira from Malta are playing in the third qualifying stage of the Conference this evening so keeping fingers crossed.

I can only guess the arrangement is so Rovers keep an interest in case Jared dramatically blossoms during his year away.

54 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Agreed, another strange one. Like you say, why extend for a year just to send him to a level we'll learn nothing from his performance at. He'll be 21 next month, sounded promising at times. I can only think we extended it to give him time to find a new club. Doesn't really benefit us though, other than in showing our young lads and prospective youth signings that we take care of our boys.

We did the same with Dan Butterworth. Gave him a year then loaned him out for pretty much all of it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, philipl said:

New Saints are out of the Conference League knocked out by a Luxembourg outfit so Harlock isn't going to benefit from European football. Hamrun and Gzira from Malta are playing in the third qualifying stage of the Conference this evening so keeping fingers crossed.

I can only guess the arrangement is so Rovers keep an interest in case Jared dramatically blossoms during his year away.

It'd have to be some dramatic blossoming indeed to make us give a new contract to a nearly 22 year old on the back of how he played in the Welsh league. He'd need to score 15 or more from midfield I'd imagine.

Pretty sure it's all been done for the player's benefit not so much ours.

Just now, bluebruce said:

It'd have to be some dramatic blossoming indeed to make us give a new contract to a nearly 22 year old on the back of how he played in the Welsh league. He'd need to score 15 or more from midfield I'd imagine.

Pretty sure it's all been done for the player's benefit not so much ours.

And what is wrong with that?

Making sure the players' careers who don't quite make it are taken care of costs Rovers little but is an excellent recruitment point when parents are considering which Cat A Academy little Johnny should go to.

Earning a wage you can live on at Dundalk, Halifax and TNS is as important an insurance policy from investing so much blood sweat and tears in football when finishing from an Academy as Ash going to Spurs and getting at least half a million a year and possibly double that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, philipl said:

Making sure the players' careers who don't quite make it are taken care of costs Rovers little but is an excellent recruitment point when parents are considering which Cat A Academy little Johnny should go to.

Earning a wage you can live on at Dundalk, Halifax and TNS is as important an insurance policy from investing so much blood sweat and tears in football when finishing from an Academy as Ash going to Spurs and getting at least half a million a year and possibly double that.

I must have missed the part where I said something was wrong with it. In fact my original post makes the very same point about it being helpful for potential youth recruits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polky said:

image.thumb.png.cff7a1512fa5b40c0c5d7c8e00addd81.png

Had to google Donnery

Looks like a trialist from Lincoln

https://www.sofascore.com/player/julian-donnery/1489555

No Batty, Gilsenan, Hilton or Barnes, so guess they are all with the fist team squad, given Gallagher is back in the squad and and Wahlsted is available, will be interesting to see who gets in the squad tomorrow

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, goozburger said:

What of Jay Haddow? He plays for Japan U21s, and I thought we were fending-off interest from in him from Premier League clubs last summer, yet he never seems to be noticed in our U21s.

Came on as a 77 minute substitute. 

23 minutes ago, goozburger said:

What of Jay Haddow? He plays for Japan U21s, and I thought we were fending-off interest from in him from Premier League clubs last summer, yet he never seems to be noticed in our U21s.

Haddow is an average player, he does not stand out at U21s level

• Backroom
59 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Had to google Donnery

Looks like a trialist from Lincoln

https://www.sofascore.com/player/julian-donnery/1489555

No Batty, Gilsenan, Hilton or Barnes, so guess they are all with the fist team squad, given Gallagher is back in the squad and and Wahlsted is available, will be interesting to see who gets in the squad tomorrow

No Junior Nsangou either? Not sure if he's still primarily U18s but thought he had been with the U21s recently. He's a winger which we are lacking.

Blackburn Rovers U18s Michalski, Murphy-Worrall, Powell, Litherland (Houghton 65), Doherty, Finneran, Bell, Stritch Nsangou (Boggan 81), Shaw (Shorrocks 65), Dlamini (Mullarkey Matthews 73).

Stitch Scored …Ended 1-1 with Wolves getting a late goal .. Nice to see Finneran getting fast tracked ….Under 18s is looking very young these days…

• Like 1

On 09/08/2023 at 18:33, philipl said:

Agree with this. Our goal should be to be the most attractive club to join in the country for young promising players. I would say we can't be far off that atm, given the amount of graduates getting into the team, and showing we treat unsuccessful graduates well is a big part of it too.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, unleaded said:

Blackburn Rovers U18s Michalski, Murphy-Worrall, Powell, Litherland (Houghton 65), Doherty, Finneran, Bell, Stritch Nsangou (Boggan 81), Shaw (Shorrocks 65), Dlamini (Mullarkey Matthews 73).

Stitch Scored …Ended 1-1 with Wolves getting a late goal .. Nice to see Finneran getting fast tracked ….Under 18s is looking very young these days…

They get younger every year unleaded........

• Like 1

• Backroom
10 hours ago, unleaded said:

I love Finneran, such a complete player for his age. If Wharton is Pirlo, Finneran is Keane.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I love Finneran, such a complete player for his age. If Wharton is Pirlo, Finneran is Keane.

I won’t bother getting excited. A PL side will snatch him off us for peanuts in the next couple of years I’m sure. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!