BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preston

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offer Rhodes to the 23 other teams in the league and I guarantee every one of them would have him in a heartbeat.

That says it all.

I can understand the reasons for keeping hold of Rhodes, but this is just a wild generalisation/guess at other clubs wanting him.

Are you in touch with every scouting department in the league? That is basically your opinion offered as a fact.

breaking my silence again to share the fun im having in work today...

what a bunch of deluded folk they really are. We got mullered apperently, Joe Garner is premier league class, the sign is true they REALLY ARE THE PRIDE OF LANCS, they should have had a penalty ,ours was a dive,it was never a sending off , it hasnt been 35 years (genuine ) , Preston fans put rovers fans to shame and rovers fans got run out of every pub.

sigh.....time to rev em up again ...bye

• Moderation Lead

I can understand the reasons for keeping hold of Rhodes, but this is just a wild generalisation/guess at other clubs wanting him.

Are you in touch with every scouting department in the league? That is basically your opinion offered as a fact.

We don't know that they don't want him though do we?

breaking my silence again to share the fun im having in work today...

what a bunch of deluded folk they really are. We got mullered apperently, Joe Garner is premier league class, the sign is true they REALLY ARE THE PRIDE OF LANCS, they should have had a penalty ,ours was a dive,it was never a sending off , it hasnt been 35 years (genuine ) , Preston fans put rovers fans to shame and rovers fans got run out of every pub.

sigh.....time to rev em up again ...bye

Wow, you really can refute all of those points 1 by 1.

We got mullered - what was the score? How many shots on target did PNE have?

Garner PL class - He's an ok player but has scored 1 goal all season and was in Hanley and Duffy's back pocket throughout. Also got a serious case of small man syndrome.

PNE pride of Lancashire - afraid not chaps.

They should have had a penalty - not seen a replay but looked soft.

Ours was a dive - So the reckless, stupid tackle that felled Taylor was all in our heads then?

Never a sending off - Two clear bookings.

PNE puts ours to shame - they had about 20 fans singing in that corner

Rovers got run out of every pub - I must have imagined going to two packed out pubs full of Rovers fans

Are they Dingles in disguise?

Sounds like they've been getting lessons in the art of creating myths from Burnley fans all these years we've been apart, bless em.

Meanwhile on their own forums they are complaining how flat their own crowd was, even moaning about the lack of celebration when they score. Moaning about giving all that end over to away support and how they never win when that happens and it's sad seeing their own pubs over run with away fans :lol:

Big club that never was.

The fact that Middlesbrough were prepared to pay £12 million+, which would have broken their transfer record and the league's record, tends to suggest he is highly sought after.

Given Middlesbrough went within a whisker of promotion last season and were heavy favourites to go up this season, and that their top target to deliver them the goals to go up was Rhodes, tells me that a 'top' manager in Aitor Karanka knows what he can do and was very keen on having him at Middlesbrough.

If Middlesbrough were prepared to go to such lengths to get him I think we can safely assume that most, if not all, of the other clubs in this division would also love to have him in their ranks, but unfortunately for most clubs it is financially impossible.

Of course I don't have an inside track to every club's scouting department, but if one of the best sides in this league were prepared to go out on such a limb to get him it seems pretty logical that most others would also want him.

Given our severe shortage of attacking options even contemplating selling Rhodes would be a huge gamble, as the alternatives at present are Koita, Delfouneso and Brown. Finding an alternative 20 goal+ a season striker is likely to cost a hell of a lot of money with no guarantee of success. Rhodes does guarantee 20+ goals, and that kind of record over 5-6 years is invaluable.

Haven't been since Friday night so apologies for the tardiness of my conclusion from the game. All in all, a impressive performance. The players did look as if Mr. Lambert put rockets up backsides. I'm not saying that the players looked fitter cause after all, he's only been there a week, but they looked sharper, almost as if it was a trial game for them in front of the new manager.

Under the old regime, we used to go two nil up in those sorts of games and throw it, maybe times are changing. All we need to do is win a penalty, the rest is inevitable. Up the blues!!

An assessment of individual player performance on Saturday:

Instance of excellent play O

Instance of decent/good play O

Instance of disappointing/poor play O

Instance of terrible play O

Hoof upfield h

Each half is assessed separately (E&OE):

First Half Second Half

Steele OOO OO

Henley OOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO

Duffy OOOOOOOOOOO29hhhhh OOOOOOOOOOOh

Hanley OOOOOO13 h OOOOOOOOOOO61Oh

Olsson OOOOOOO OOOOOh

Marshall OOOOOOO23 OOOOOOOOOO85 O

Akpan OOOOOO OOOOOO72

Evans OOOOOOOO29OOO OOOOO

Conway OOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO

Lawrence OOOO

Rhodes OOOO OOOO50O

Taylor O OOOOOOOO49O50O

Guthrie OO

Koita OOOOOO

Highlights and Lowlights

13 Henley is bamboozled by a bouncing ball allowing the Preston attacker to cross into the box. Hanley makes a superb interception of the square ball and puts it out for a corner.

23 Terrible ball from Marshall is given away on half-way, setting up a dangerous chance for Gallagher. Fortunately he fluffs it.

29 A great Conway free kick is cleared to the edge of the box where Evans collects, avoids the defender and crashes the ball against the upright. Duffy hits the rebound towards goal where a defender clears off the line only to see the ball bounce off the goalie into the net!

49 Taylor alone upfield against two defenders battles superbly and wins a throw-in.

50 From the throw, Marshall slips a neat pass to Taylor who drives square into the box where he is brought down earning a penalty. Rhodes puts the penalty away in his usual efficient fashion.

61 Neat Preston play takes out two defenders but Hanley stands firm on the edge of the box to dispossess Reach in a very dangerous position.

72 Akpan allows himself to be dispossessed far too easily in midfield. Again the dangerous Preston attack fizzles out.

85 Marshall wins a battle with Garner deep in his own half and launches a great ball towards Koita who is just offside.

Sorry - the site messed around with my font sizes!

Hoof upfield h

First Half Second Half

Steele OOO OO

Olsson OOOOOOO OOOOOh

Marshall OOOOOO23 OOOOOOOOOO85 O

Akpan OOOOOO OOOOOO72

Conway OOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO

Lawrence OOOO

Rhodes OOOO O OOOO50O

Taylor O OOOOOOOO49O50O

Guthrie OO

Koita OOOOOO

Highlights and Lowlights

13 Henley is bamboozled by a bouncing ball allowing the Preston attacker to cross into the box. Hanley makes a superb interception of the square ball and puts it out for a corner.

23 Terrible ball from Marshall is given away on half-way, setting up a dangerous chance for Gallagher. Fortunately he fluffs it.

29 A great Conway free kick is cleared to the edge of the box where Evans collects, avoids the defender and crashes the ball against the upright. Duffy hits the rebound towards goal where a defender clears off the line only to see the ball bounce off the goalie into the net!

49 Taylor alone upfield against two defenders battles superbly and wins a throw-in.

50 From the throw, Marshall slips a neat pass to Taylor who drives square into the box where he is brought down earning a penalty. Rhodes puts the penalty away in his usual efficient fashion.

61 Neat Preston play takes out two defenders but Hanley stands firm on the edge of the box to dispossess Reach in a very dangerous position.

72 Akpan allows himself to be dispossessed far too easily in midfield. Again the dangerous Preston attack fizzles out.

85 Marshall wins a battle with Garner deep in his own half and launches a great ball towards Koita who is just offside.

Love this, have you done this yourself? You missed a couple of O from Akpan

It could be Lamberts idea is closing the game down further up the field and trying to force the opposition into long balls down the middle knowing our centre halves can handle this. There is a difference between sitting deep, all hands to the pump protecting a lead late in games and just sitting off from the word go. How many times in the past 4 seasons have we been carved open time and again through the middle with no protection for defence. That didn't seem to be happening on Sat too much later on.

Force the oppo to play to our strengths is all part of the hard to beat policy. We are going to have plenty backs to the wall times whether we like it or not but hopefully the onus will be on getting a few goals up first from the whistle. We just aren't good enough to out play sides over 95 mins every week yet and this league rarely allows it.

Thanks Tonyoz.

The last 15 minutes were horrible to watch but looking at those stats the last 15 of the first half were almost as bad.

Sorry Aggy, I wasn't clear! I grouped the different coloured circles together so that it is easier to compare players. They are not in "time" order.

Take Rhodes for instance. In the first half he produced 4 decent/good pieces of play (IMO). In the second, he produced 3 decent pieces, one excellent (his penalty) and one poor. These pieces are not in chronological order - the poor piece was not necessarily the last thing he did.

I will try to make it clearer next time.

Sorry Aggy, I wasn't clear! I grouped the different coloured circles together so that it is easier to compare players. They are not in "time" order.

Take Rhodes for instance. In the first half he produced 4 decent/good pieces of play (IMO). In the second, he produced 3 decent pieces, one excellent (his penalty) and one poor. These pieces are not in chronological order - the poor piece was not necessarily the last thing he did.

I will try to make it clearer next time.

Thanks for explaining. no need to change the system, please carry on as you were.

Hoof upfield h

First Half Second Half

Steele OOO OO

Olsson OOOOOOO OOOOOh

Marshall OOOOOOO23 OOOOOOOOOO85 O

Akpan OOOOOO OOOOOO72

Conway OOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO

Lawrence OOOO

Rhodes OOOO OOOO50O

Taylor O OOOOOOOO49O50O

Guthrie OO

Koita OOOOOO

Highlights and Lowlights

How did you view the Preston goal after Grant had blocked the shot and the ball spun into the air ?

Archived