• Scottish National Party
    • Green
    • Respect
    • Democratic Unionist Party
    • Plaid Cymru
    • SDLP
    • Alliance Party
    • No one - They are all a shower of s#@t

Whats the difference between a benefit, a grant and a subsidy?

A benefit is a payment or entitlement gained from an insurance policy, employment or social security

A grant is an amount of money paid towards a specific purpose or project

A subsidy is a financial payment or aid usually made to promote economic growth

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear, oh dear more incorrect information. There are two types of maternity benefit, Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) and Maternity Allowance (MA).

SMP is available from the employer and is based on the qualifying conditions of length of service and earnings

MA is a weekly payment which may be available to women who have been employed or self-employed prior to pregnancy and earned at least £30 per week

In both cases the recipient has to have been employed to qualify for either SMP or MA in which case the individual will have been making NI contributions and will have earned their benefits

Women who do not qualify for SMP or MA may qualify for Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

In respect of the disabled it is certainly true there are individuals, like my son, who will never have the capacity for work and therefore cannot earn their benefit. There are are however plenty of people who have enjoyed a full working life only to be unfortunate enough to suffer disability which renders them unable to continue working. Such people will have paid NICs before they became incapacitated and so earned their benefit.

"Earned" is not a word I would necessarily agree with in respect of benefits payments

None of your weasel words have any effect on what I said. I have no problem with the maternity benefit for the first two children, but I still object to paying my taxes for dole dossers and immigrants. Nobody has a problem with helping the genuinely disabled Paul. Just apologise for saying I am on benefits and we can put the whole thing to bed.

None of your weasel words have any effect on what I said. I have no problem with the maternity benefit for the first two children, but I still object to paying my taxes for dole dossers and immigrants. Nobody has a problem with helping the genuinely disabled Paul. Just apologise for saying I am on benefits and we can put the whole thing to bed.

Standard madcap Ukip rhetoric and a pack of lies.

Spot on Al, ignore Fred Kite.

• Backroom

Having worked in Blackburn for a solicitor's firm (admittedly only driving the van), I can assure you most people who came in with benefit-related claims in my 18months there had typically Islamic or Eastern European names.

Al there is nothing to put to bed. You've posted a number of factually incorrect statements. The most recent being maternity and disability benefits are "unearned." In the case of maternity benefit you are completely incorrect and disability benefit partially so.

I've provided you with the correct information and I suggest you do take note of the words as for someone with so much to say on benefits you have demonstrated you're rather poorly informed.

Where did I say you objected to helping the disabled?

Spot on Al, ignore Fred Kite.

Fred Kite? Seems to me it's those who object to progress and diversity we have all enjoyed in the last 60 years are those stuck in the 1950s.

Certainly "I'm All Right Jack" is a very appropriate phrase to describe those on the MB who object so strongly to today's society.

Al there is nothing to put to bed. You've posted a number of factually incorrect statements. The most recent being maternity and disability benefits are "unearned." In the case of maternity benefit you are completely incorrect and disability benefit partially so.

I've provided you with the correct information and I suggest you do take note of the words as for someone with so much to say on benefits you have demonstrated you're rather poorly informed.

Where did I say you objected to helping the disabled?

I never posted any factually incorrect statements and you have demonstrated nothing. I am fully aware of what maternity benefits are having paid them many times to my employees. I believe they are unearned but will concede that others may not see them that way. I do and I believe that they should only be paid for the first two children. The world is already over populated.

The only incorrect statements are your lies that I claim benefits for which I still await an apology.

I'd suggest life is too short to care whether it's a benefit or not. No-one's going to take it back from you.

I've had to claim UB40 three times in my life. Once was when I was in Switzerland, which paid a very healthy £4k/month. I didn't really give a toss what anyone thought, needs must.

And what's this with an apology? B*gger apologies, are you going to demand a duel to if you get no apology? Life really is too short, and I've wasted enough time reading this, never mind taking part in it. Life's better when you stick two fingers up and don't give a damn what anyone thinks of you. What you think of yourself is the only important opinion.

I'd suggest life is too short to care whether it's a benefit or not. No-one's going to take it back from you.

I've had to claim UB40 three times in my life. Once was when I was in Switzerland, which paid a very healthy £4k/month. I didn't really give a toss what anyone thought, needs must.

And what's this with an apology? B*gger apologies, are you going to demand a duel to if you get no apology? Life really is too short, and I've wasted enough time reading this, never mind taking part in it. Life's better when you stick two fingers up and don't give a damn what anyone thinks of you. What you think of yourself is the only important opinion.

You are right. Consider two fingers stuck up!

Better than electoral fraud isn't it Josef? Care to comment on the disgraceful, dangerous anti-democratic antics of Quesir Mahmood? Or the 5 other boroughs that Labour are strongly suspected to be doing it in?

I'm sure you've got some excuse or brush-it-under-the-carpet reply lined up. Whilst you'd be going absolutely ballistic if UKIP came anywhere close to doing the same thing.

As far as I'm concerned if its proven to be true then I don't see how anyone round here can vote for Labour in good conscience. Tampering with the democratic system is the first step down the slippery slope to corrupt government.

Better than electoral fraud isn't it Josef? Care to comment on the disgraceful, dangerous anti-democratic antics of Quesir Mahmood? Or the 5 other boroughs that Labour are strongly suspected to be doing it in?

I'm sure you've got some excuse or brush-it-under-the-carpet reply lined up. Whilst you'd be going absolutely ballistic if UKIP came anywhere close to doing the same thing.

As far as I'm concerned if its proven to be true then I don't see how anyone round here can vote for Labour in good conscience. Tampering with the democratic system is the first step down the slippery slope to corrupt government.

Good try, but I'll agree there's no place for fraud - whether it's through the ballot box or tax.

However one bad egg at local level has no relevance to what is at stake at national level because by your skewed logic the antics of this lot means no one should vote Ukip or Tory on May 7.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30915407

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-31021917

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/afzal-amin-dudley-north-election-8898597

Good try, but I'll agree there's no place for fraud - whether it's through the ballot box or tax.

However one bad egg at local level has no relevance to what is at stake at national level because by your skewed logic the antics of this lot means no one should vote Ukip or Tory on May 7.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30915407

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-31021917

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/afzal-amin-dudley-north-election-8898597

One bad egg? 15 wards round here are being investigated and if, as has been reported, its a problem in ethnic communities then there's only one party that's doing it.

Anyway, I finally got you to say something other than "right-wing claptrap" so it must have been a good try. It appears there is something distantly resembling objective logic hidden deep behind the communist propaganda machine.

• Moderation Lead

Probably best to take everything Russell Brand says with a pinch of salt. Particularly when he criticises the rich for their tax evasion, despite being a millionaire himself. With more than a hint of irony!

Probably best to take everything Russell Brand says with a pinch of salt. Particularly when he criticises the rich for their tax evasion, despite being a millionaire himself. With more than a hint of irony!

I try to evade him at all costs

Definitely not wired up correctly that one

Tried booking a Dr appointment .. None availed for 3 weeks ! They said I can have a phone consultation . I replied how's the Dr gonna shove a thermometer up my arse via the phone . It's pathetic !

Change doctor, we never have a problem

Archived