BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool QF Replay - 8th April 2015

The defence has been 100x better since Hanley's not been playing in my opinion, he's just a real weak link. Unfortunately as our defence has improved our midfield has seemed to decline. Not too bothered if Evans stays, I'd rather have Williamson out of the two. As for Spearing, I don't particularly care to sign him and I hope the others stay, and improve over the next season(s)

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The defence has been 100x better since Hanley's not been playing in my opinion, he's just a real weak link. Unfortunately as our defence has improved our midfield has seemed to decline. Not too bothered if Evans stays, I'd rather have Williamson out of the two. As for Spearing, I don't particularly care to sign him and I hope the others stay, and improve over the next season(s)

isn't the problem with that the respective ages of Killa, Baptiste and Williamson, and not forgetting both centre halves might not be here after this season?

isn't the problem with that the respective ages of Killa, Baptiste and Williamson, and not forgetting both centre halves might not be here after this season?

I'd imagine that Baptiste will sign for us in the summer, after having such a great season. Kilgallon may go (I hope not) but if he does there is Duffy to take his place. Williamson I know is getting on a bit in his footballing career, can you remind me whether his contract expires this summer?

the club is whiter than white then....if not go back to playing golf

So anyway.... did you get a thank you letter from Steve and jerome for your contribution to their champagne charlie lifestyle? Have you been invited to holiday in steve's Brunei penthouse perhaps? Thought not. None so blind as those that cannot see.

I'd imagine that Baptiste will sign for us in the summer, after having such a great season. Kilgallon may go (I hope not) but if he does there is Duffy to take his place. Williamson I know is getting on a bit in his footballing career, can you remind me whether his contract expires this summer?

I'd be tempted to keep Baps (as he can also fill in at right-back), let Killa go, and have Baps & Duffy as our main partnership, with Hanley & an on-loan defender in reserve.

I'd be tempted to keep Baps (as he can also fill in at right-back), let Killa go, and have Baps & Duffy as our main partnership, with Hanley & an on-loan defender in reserve.

That'd suit me, with Spurr possibly dropping in as a CH if either Duffy or Baps got injured, Henley as RB with Lowe as backup if he got injured, and Olsson LB with Spurr filling in for him too if need be. Marshall shouldn't be played at RB unless there are too many injuries imo, as he's one (if not our most) creative player.

Kilgallon and Williamson both expire i think. getting Baps might be difficult as he has a year left on his contract at Bolton.

Kilgallon and Williamson both expire i think. getting Baps might be difficult as he has a year left on his contract at Bolton.

Cheers. Yes, I think Williamson may go, plus he's getting older now, I hope Kilgallon resigns but I could see him going to a higher level (possibly West Brom-ish level). King could possibly go, we'll probably offer Dunn a new contract, whether he wishes to continue playing football or to settle down is a different matter, if C. Taylor is offered a new contract I'm inclined to think he'd sign it (on social media etc he always insists he wants to continue playing for us.) Not sure about Robo, he's a ticky one, but on MOTD last night he seemed like he'd want to stay for a while. Any others I missed out?

(We could possibly loan out Henry again I think)

look at who we signed last summer. Free transfer from Donny which is what happens when the manager has no money and has to get the wage bill drastically reduced. Paul Taylor will probably be one of this summers 'big' signings, a free from Ipswich. Don't blame Bowyer for the destruction Kean and Anderson brought to this club. The fact that you do suggests you haven't been paying attention.

Eh? I'm saying that he should take advantage of his youth connections more and look to bring in talented youngsters from the top clubs. I'd imagine they'd be looking for little to no contribution on the wages front. Please refrain from throwing the Anderson/Kean accusation my way.

Good answer Gaviar. Added to the fact that 2 windows prior to that with circa 20 players in and he still didn't have a plan or team in place - when it was obvious we'd come under FFP. That's rank bad management.

Oh, he's not in the league of the scum who caused it, but to claim he's nothing to do with our current situation when he had good amounts of time and resources to help prepare for FFP, and it was obvious it was coming is a bit of a stretch. Too much hand washing.

Incidentally Ipswich are competing on a shoe-string, so let's not set our sights too low!

I have not read anything from this thread due to a very long day.

Last night didn't leave me disappointed or down. It left me with a deep feeling of pride but at the same time a feeling of why did it take so long to happen?

Rovers did the shirt, the club, themselves and the fans PROUD.

The fans were immense and the 22000 BRFC fans give or take were a credit.

The club have to set their sights on getting some of them back and I am sure some will be pondering coming back.

Its not a Venkys love in its a simple message that the club appears to be moving forward and we have players who are clearly capable (I don't know how long we will have mind).

Liverpool, the mighty Liverpool valued at approx. £130m just scraped by a team that cost approx. £12m to assemble. The team played the perfect game and so very near defied the odds and almost took us a dream semi final.

I am wondering why we couldn't have such like performances for the lesser games because believe me, effort like last night would have seen us 10 points clear at the top rather than 10 points back off the PO Zone !

Well done BRFC, well done Radio Rovers for creating that atmosphere, It was a great night and one I totally enjoyed from start to finish.

I am wondering why we couldn't have such like performances for the lesser games because believe me, effort like last night would have seen us 10 points clear at the top rather than 10 points back off the PO Zone !

We can dream of being 10 points off the playoffs. That would be halcyonic compared to our current position languishing a mere 15 points off the pace when our pub team goal difference is taken into account.

This season has been a failure on every possible level.

I just sincerely hope that Bowyer learns his lesson from this season (if he stays, which he probably will) and to stick to what works best, rather than mixing things up as the season progresses, because the time for that is in the pre-season friendlies, not halfway through the season when we've a lot still to play for.

Cheers. Yes, I think Williamson may go, plus he's getting older now, I hope Kilgallon resigns but I could see him going to a higher level (possibly West Brom-ish level). King could possibly go, we'll probably offer Dunn a new contract, whether he wishes to continue playing football or to settle down is a different matter, if C. Taylor is offered a new contract I'm inclined to think he'd sign it (on social media etc he always insists he wants to continue playing for us.) Not sure about Robo, he's a ticky one, but on MOTD last night he seemed like he'd want to stay for a while. Any others I missed out?

(We could possibly loan out Henry again I think)

Robbo isn't staying, i'd say that's a cert. he said last night he was after a 'new challenge'. he won't b offerd a new contract.

Good answer Gaviar. Added to the fact that 2 windows prior to that with circa 20 players in and he still didn't have a plan or team in place - when it was obvious we'd come under FFP. That's rank bad management.

Oh, he's not in the league of the scum who caused it, but to claim he's nothing to do with our current situation when he had good amounts of time and resources to help prepare for FFP, and it was obvious it was coming is a bit of a stretch. Too much hand washing.

Incidentally Ipswich are competing on a shoe-string, so let's not set our sights too low!

if he didn't get those 20 players in we wouldn't have had a team. Bowyers in charge of the team, not finances. What is our current situation? It's a lot better than the one he inherited. Your narrative doesn't match the facts.

We can dream of being 10 points off the playoffs. That would be halcyonic compared to our current position languishing a mere 15 points off the pace when our pub team goal difference is taken into account.

This season has been a failure on every possible level.

utter nonsense.

I seem to remember Robbo mentioning pre-season matches, not sure whether he was referring to Rovers pre-season or a new club. You're probably right, I was tired anyway, just thought I'd mention it to see what people thought.

For me Spearing, Marshall and Cairney are on their day good players and need to be retained and developed. Its a question of getting consistency from them and settling the side will help with that. Evans needs the boot, terrible. Conway, Lowe and Taylor have a future as squaddies, though I think Taylor will walk. Williamson and Dunn are at the end of their careers.

A left winger with real pace would go a long way, as would a proper box to box midfielder. However I don't think swapping out everyone is possible or desirable. We need to get more out of what we have.

The major work this summer is going to be upfront as we are going to lose King, Gested and Rhodes in my opinion.

Thank Christ the defence is starting to come together.

I just don't think GB can get anymore out of those though and I certainly don't think he or his coaching staff are capable of getting them doing anything different. Agree on Evans, Spearing probably offers more than him over a season so use him for that job. Sick of seeing our midfield over run in bog standard league games for 2 seasons now so it's time to rejig it.

I'm intrigued.

Just as a matter of interest blue blood when there are a number of players sat on a 3 year contracts paying them all massive and unreal remuneration (and much more than said players could ever command elsewhere) how would YOU go about preparing the club for FFP?

I think you, I, and most people on here know why that is.

Do they? I've been watching BRFC sine the early 60's and apart from the Walker years it's always been the same. Much the same for every other club too.

I just don't think GB can get anymore out of those though and I certainly don't think he or his coaching staff are capable of getting them doing anything different. Agree on Evans, Spearing probably offers more than him over a season so use him for that job. Sick of seeing our midfield team over run in bog standard league games for 2 seasons now so it's time to rejig it.

Thats more accurate I think tomphil.

To be clear, because several people seem to be struggling with this one: He did NOT encourage Eastwood to go up.

Yes he did. I sit 20/30 feet from Bowyer and while I can't remember the exact sequence of events, it's a very minor irrelevance, he definetley told Or agreed with Eastwood going up. 100% certain.

Yes he did. I sit 20/30 feet from Bowyer and while I can't remember the exact sequence of events, it's a very minor irrelevance, he definetley told Or agreed with Eastwood going up. 100% certain.

OMG. :rolleyes:

100% certain that it was one or the other despite not remembering the exact sequence of events. Brilliant.

Paul, Eastwood himself confirmed what I saw with my own eyes. Bowyer motioned Eastwood up to the halfway line and then motioned for him to stop.

Ha fair point K- Hod, however I can see the point people are trying to make, 94th minute of a cup QF, if that's not the time to take off the shackles, when is!

Now if only Sherwood was manager, 'Tim-Cam' would have put an end to this debate.

if he didn't get those 20 players in we wouldn't have had a team. Bowyers in charge of the team, not finances. What is our current situation? It's a lot better than the one he inherited. Your narrative doesn't match the facts.

utter nonsense.

I'm intrigued.

Just as a matter of interest blue blood when there are a number of players sat on a 3 year contracts paying them all massive and unreal remuneration (and much more than said players could ever command elsewhere) how would YOU go about preparing the club for FFP?

For starters I wouldn't be talking about needing another 2 or 3 windows to build my team just before FFP kicks in! In business and all of life circumstances give you/dictate time frames and you have to act within them.

blueboy surely a manager is not completely separate from finances. Surely Bowyer had a budget for his players and had some say on that - how much needed to be spent or how many players he thought he needed. To say Bowyer had nothing to do with finances, especially seeing the power he has, is a bit of a stretch.

thenod - it doesn't help at all does it having those players on those contracts. however what would have helped bowyer is picking a style and buying players who fit and suit that vision. certainly by last summer at the very latest, if not january that had to be the case rather than our scattergun approach. i think it would've also helped to ensure adequate cover in each area as oppose to being weak in numbers in some areas strong in others, even if both strategies meant missing out on the odd player with potential.

Archived