BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool QF Replay - 8th April 2015

Not sure about the glory hunters stuff. Yes more fans turned out last night, but they're Rovers fans alright, they're just not interested in watching poor players toil in a poor league under bonkers owners, and let's ne honest who can blame em.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right Gav. 'Some' fans have bitched on all season about how there needs to be more fans in the ground and when they do turn up, and make not one jot of difference to the teams performance, those fans now bitch on about them being glory hunters.

There are bigger fish to fry and any ire should be aimed in the right direction (Venkys, Shaw, Bowyer in that order).

it is all rather pathetic imo

They scored in the second half - that's having a save to make he just couldn't do it due to a very good finish.

If Mahoney had come on and set up a goal last night you would be gushing in praise for Bowyer for using him.

But Tom, Mahoney didn't come on tho. What impact would he had? Would he had made a difference? Who knows? Has he been outstanding for the under 21's this season?

Not sure about the glory hunters stuff. Yes more fans turned out last night, but they're Rovers fans alright, they're just not interested in watching poor players toil in a poor league under bonkers owners, and let's ne honest who can blame em.

"they're just not interested in watching poor players toil in a poor league under bonkers owners"

That's exactly what a 'glory hunter' is.

"they're just not interested in watching poor players toil in a poor league under bonkers owners"

That's exactly what a 'glory hunter' is.

Or sensible and pragmatic? ;)

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/12878259.Blackburn_Rovers_boss_Gary_Bowyer_pays_tribute_to_efforts_of_players_and_fans_in_Liverpool_FA_Cup_loss/?ref=mac

Brenda Rogers is either very kind or blind with this quote

“Towards the end when we’d gone 1-0 up they were chucking everything at us but we defended fantastically.“

The last 10 minutes were the most disappointing on a decent evening (bar the result) as I felt we never ever had any urgency or put them under any pressure. Especially as the one dimensional and brainless temptation simply to to tw*t it up to Gestede was there and used prolifically. It was a damp squib final 10 minutes :(

Sorry about the King info - turns out it was a dud! Usually good info from down there, they maintain he was in extra training yesterday morning so he must have been touch and go.

Baptiste and Williamson where warriors out there. I appreciate we didn't have a central defender on the bench (clearly Songo'o not fancied), but I can't help but think not subbing Baptiste when he couldn't move was inviting pressure. I think the result would have been the same, but I would have liked that change earlier. Once Liverpool noticed Sterling and Sturridge both attacked Baptiste specifically inviting lots of pressure.

Jordan worked hard but, even as the biggest JR supporter proved he is too limited against the big boys. I still maintain he would do a job in the Prem, but Liverpool bullied him. Gestede scared them.

Finally, Adam Henley. Terrific performance. He completely took Sterling out of the game. he's been good for a few games now but perform like that and he won't be here long.

To be fair, many were slagging off Henley when he was put back in the side this season....

I've been saying for awhile that Henley deserves a run in the side, as Baps & Lowe clearly aren't full-backs, and as usual I was right. /thenodrog

I feel sorry for the Rovers players. That was the nearest any of the them are likely to get to playing at Wembley and the biggest game of their lives and you could see their disappointment afterwards.

I feel even sorrier for older Rovers fans because unless something extraordinary happens not only will we never get to see us play at Wembley I've a horrible feeling that was the last "big" match we will see at Ewood in our lifetimes.

I feel sorry for the Rovers players. That was the nearest any of the them are likely to get to playing at Wembley and the biggest game of their lives and you could see their disappointment afterwards.

I feel even sorrier for older Rovers fans because unless something extraordinary happens not only will we never get to see us play at Wembley I've a horrible feeling that was the last "big" match we will see at Ewood in our lifetimes.

Surely Jim the FA Cup draw can throw up anything! We could be drawn against ManU in next season's 3rd round. or are you saying we won't be around?

Maybe - but we had the same opportunity vs. Millwall not long ago and ballsed that up. That was our biggest chance.

• Backroom

Weren't most of our injuries in defence? That area wasn't the problem. It was our attacking line that was ineffective, and most of our main threats (Rhodes, Cairney, Marshall) were present. Conway's been a first teamer regularly, ditto Williamson and Evans. Gestede not starting was obviously a shame, King I'm not so sure, but either way we had an £8m, 40k a week striker in their place so difficult to say we were weakened.

Henley looked good last night, and deserves a proper run in the team. It's not like we're overloaded in the RB position. Baptiste/Killa made a good central pairing. Olsson worked hard on the left, too. If that was our back four next season, with the likes of Lowe (RB), Duffy and Hanley as back up I wouldn't be too concerned.

The issue will be up top, as we're not going to get very far with Brown or Varney toiling by themselves up front.

• Moderation Lead

I've been saying for awhile that Henley deserves a run in the side, as Baps & Lowe clearly aren't full-backs, and as usual I was right. /thenodrog

Preaching to the choir mate!

Henley looked good last night, and deserves a proper run in the team. It's not like we're overloaded in the RB position. Baptiste/Killa made a good central pairing. Olsson worked hard on the left, too. If that was our back four next season, with the likes of Lowe (RB), Duffy and Hanley as back up I wouldn't be too concerned.

To be honest I'd have a really hard decision deciding who to play in defence, as Henley has been superb these last few games, and Baptiste has been great as a CB, much better than he was in RB in my opinion. Olsson has been consistently fantastic all season long, he has to be my Player Of The Year. Which leaves room for one more CB: Kilgallon, Duffy or Hanley (Lowe is a RB and Spurr is a LB). For me, Kilgallon has been pretty good this season, except for his games against Brentford and Brighton, but even after that, he hasn't impressed me as much as he did previously. Hanley is a no for me, and Duffy always was too, until he was paired up with Kilgallon, in which games he was extremely good. Which makes me wonder what a CB pairing with Duffy/Baptiste would be like. Better or worse? We'll find out next season ;)

Preaching to the choir mate!

He's had two broken legs, a multitude if hamstring and calf problems, not to mention a run last season that made him look like a scared and weak.

Give credit where it's due to the back room staff for working with him and not binning him off, many others with his problems would've been shifted.

• Moderation Lead

He's had two broken legs, a multitude if hamstring and calf problems, not to mention a run last season that made him look like a scared and weak.

Give credit where it's due to the back room staff for working with him and not binning him off, many others with his problems would've been shifted.

Indeed, my only concern though is that it took injuries/suspensions to other players getting his chance, which to be fair he did with both hands.

He's made that right back spot his own and long may that continue.

• Backroom

To be honest I'd have a really hard decision deciding who to play in defence, as Henley has been superb these last few games, and Baptiste has been great as a CB, much better than he was in RB in my opinion. Olsson has been consistently fantastic all season long, he has to be my Player Of The Year. Which leaves room for one more CB: Kilgallon, Duffy or Hanley (Lowe is a RB and Spurr is a LB). For me, Kilgallon has been pretty good this season, except for his games against Brentford and Brighton, but even after that, he hasn't impressed me as much as he did previously. Hanley is a no for me, and Duffy always was too, until he was paired up with Kilgallon, in which games he was extremely good. Which makes me wonder what a CB pairing with Duffy/Baptiste would be like. Better or worse? We'll find out next season ;)

We've looked a mess defensively at times this season, but I think that's mostly down to poor organisation, preparation and constant swapping of players in various positions. A proper manager could definitely work with the defensive options we have.

• Backroom

But Tom, Mahoney didn't come on tho. What impact would he had? Would he had made a difference? Who knows? Has he been outstanding for the under 21's this season?

Exactly who knows - but we know what happened when he didn't come on, sometimes you have to be brave and for me even in a cup game the manager is too concerned to concede a late goal to consider throwing caution to the wind to get back in it.

Weren't most of our injuries in defence? That area wasn't the problem. It was our attacking line that was ineffective, and most of our main threats (Rhodes, Cairney, Marshall) were present. Conway's been a first teamer regularly, ditto Williamson and Evans. Gestede not starting was obviously a shame, King I'm not so sure, but either way we had an £8m, 40k a week striker in their place so difficult to say we were weakened.

The issue will be up top, as we're not going to get very far with Brown or Varney toiling by themselves up front.

As you point out, our front line was more or less first choice. The issue came when we wanted to change it and we had nothing. Having the likes of King, Taylor, Brown etc on the bench would have given us the chance to freshen up the attack.

Besides that, Cairney, Conway and Marshall were all kept fairly quiet but to be fair they were up against a decent prem team. You can't expect them to suddenly find a higher gear.

Abbey, the tactics were spot on. We deny them space in between the defence and midfield most times.

Liverpool scored one goal and that was poor defending by Rhodes who should track his run tbh.

Can't remember Eastwood having a save to make 2nd half tbh.

Bowyer was positive by being on Gestede and going 4-4-2 being more attacking.

ok..whatever dude. Tactics are only spot on if you win.

We've looked a mess defensively at times this season, but I think that's mostly down to poor organisation, preparation and constant swapping of players in various positions. A proper manager could definitely work with the defensive options we have.

The players aren't good enough, yes we have a few that are championship quality, but in the main we've a very poor side.

When Williamson is the best midfield player we have you're struggling but he tries hard and gives his all. It's the worst side in 30yrs+ and all this "if a better manager was to come in" stuff is nonsence, they're poor players on poor wages mainly in a poor side.

VENKYS OUT

You can't win every match Abbey, and over the years there have been many games - long before Venkys arrived - when we have been proud of the club in defeat. This, was surely one of those games. But its gone and now it's about moving on and the future which begins with the next game.

that could be a meme of a loser

Great performance over these two games, and the cup in general. So why can't the manager get these kinds of performances out of the team on a regular basis, especially in games where we are not the underdog..

The bitter part of me cannot help but wonder if the cup run will be Boywer's equivalent to K**n's "drew against liverpool and beat manure" crap. that no matter what happens now with the club, there will always be "but remember when he almost took us to Wembley in the cup" crap floating around. I hate making GB/K**n comparisons, especially after the excellent cup run we had. But I cannot help to feel that this might be a scenario in the future.

Archived