BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jimmy Greaves

One my Dad's favourite players. I used to love 'The Saint and Greavsie' before setting off to Ewood. He'll be carting on a bit now but hopefully there are a few good years left in him.

• 2 months later...

Just reading that Jimmy Greaves has launched an appeal to raise £30k for treatment to help him recovery after his stroke.

Thousands of people have strokes, the vast majority use the NHS to aid recovery and haven't had lucrative ITV shows and a glittering football career either!

Is it just me? I think he’s a cheeky sod to be frank, if he’s blown his cash thats his problem.

All thats said I hope he makes a full recovery :tu:

I really don't think he had pots of cash after his playing days and he hasn't been on TV for about 30 years.

Bit of a column in The People? If he has a fanbase who will help I don't blame him.

Greaves lives near to me in a house in an exclusive road to which he recently moved (within the last year). He has owned several different houses in the last 30 years so I don't see where this financial penury has come from. He is a supporter of the Tories (considered standing as an MP at one time) and has trenchant right wing views. Suppose he just needs to reap what he's helped to sow.

Greaves lives near to me in a house in an exclusive road to which he recently moved (within the last year). He has owned several different houses in the last 30 years so I don't see where this financial penury has come from. He is a supporter of the Tories (considered standing as an MP at one time) and has trenchant right wing views. Suppose he just needs to reap what he's helped to sow.

He lives with his daughter I think I read. Wasted his money on alcohol.

He lives with his daughter I think I read. Wasted his money on alcohol.

Yeah he's an alcoholic, but I thought he'd been teetotal for decades ?

He said visiting Ewood was like something out of Brigadoon. Patronizing Cockney Drunk.

I used to quite like the bloke, until I read above he was a right wing tory and then this.

Regardless of him being a cockney Tory git, he's got a bloody cheek asking for handouts after the money he made from ITV.

The NHS provide rehabilitation to thousands of Stroke victims, is Greaves above using the NHS?

Regardless of him being a cockney Tory git, he's got a bloody cheek asking for handouts after the money he made from ITV.

The NHS provide rehabilitation to thousands of Stoke victims, is Greaves above using the NHS?

To be fair, there's no helping the thousands of people suffering from the effects of Stoke! :lol:

Pretty harsh comments on here. I liked the bloke as a pundit and if people decide they want to help him out that's their decision, it isn't compulsory.

Not sure what a person's political leaning has to do with this unfortunate situation either. You might equally say someone with very strong left wing tenancies should not be deserving of any sympathy if struck down by a serious illness and that would be equally callous and irrelevant.

Not surprised about that. There's an old saying that only wealthy people and stupid people vote Tory and most footballers fit into both categories. Hope he doesn't have to rely on the NHS for help.

• Backroom

Not surprised about that. There's an old saying that only wealthy people and stupid people vote Tory and most footballers fit into both categories. Hope he doesn't have to rely on the NHS for help.

Russell Brand is wealthy and stupid...

Russell Brand is wealthy and stupid...

Touche! I'm broadly centre left but there is no bigger bellend in the business than Brand. Makes Farage look sensible. Talk about dumbing down...

As for Greaves. Fair enough, its a free country if people want to donate.

Also, to his political views, it's alright preaching individual independence and the innovative and economic benefits of a dog eat dog world - especially if you have benefitted and riding high. But everyone but the wealthiest are likely to experience a time when the shoe is on the other foot, particularly in old age.

Largely even right wingers fundamentally realise this and that is why so many support the NHS despite being willing to cut welfare to the bone and want to flog immigrants (who ironically play a very large part in making the NHS financially viable) out of the country. They feel they will be personally impacted.

Russell brand maybe an irritating clucker, but i think his heart is in the right place and its good to see celebritys trying to use the attention they get to do good things and help the people in society that usually just getvignored and shafted.

• Backroom

Russell brand maybe an irritating clucker, but i think his heart is in the right place and its good to see celebritys trying to use the attention they get to do good things and help the people in society that usually just getvignored and shafted.

Well-intentioned doesn't mean it wasn't a harmful thing to say.

A better, more articulate and more representative celebrity to listen to (who the country universally adores) on the left is Sir Tony Robinson.

Archived