BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Leaves! Hurrah!

Absolutely disgusted that the club have gone on record to thank Leon Best for his dedication yet Tom Cairney got nothing.

Shell of the club we once were in every department. Poor effort Rovers.

100% agree.

Presumably it's a joke but I bet Tom Cairney isn't laughing.

Good news that he is gone though - if we can really call it that. Wonder if this was agreed before the FFP watershed - otherwise it's another missed opportunity. Surely we have enough already to show the League that we are 'heading in the right direction' - which seems to allow other clubs to escape.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant see the wage bill being too far off normal now, especially with robbo and Best gone - if rhodes goes, could that put us out of FFP embargo?

I don't think we can come out of it until Jan? or something like that. Rhodes must be the only big earner on the WB at least he earns it

I don't think we can come out of it until Jan? or something like that. Rhodes must be the only big earner on the WB at least he earns it

If we sell Rhodes or Gestede now then (we have been told by Kamy) that we have already missed the deadline for a January embargo removal and it would be next Summer at the earliest.

If we sell Rhodes or Gestede now then (we have been told by Kamy) that we have already missed the deadline for a January embargo removal and it would be next Summer at the earliest.

Whilst I applaud Kamys effort, I dont think that he knows for definate. For instance, how could Leeds come out of an embargo when they did if that was the case?

We shouldn't need to get Rhodes off the books to comply. Not now every other Premier League level earner is gone.

I wonder how our wage bill now stands in comparison to the likes of Derby, Hull, QPR, Forest and co. because other than Rhodes and possibly Hanley none of these players were given big contracts, or so we are led to believe.

There's only so far the club can go. It must have shelled out about £10 million in pay-offs for Best, Orr, Etuhu, Campbell etc. in the last couple of years to get their wages out of the club. Something no other club has had to do. Meanwhile Derby and QPR must have spent more than £10 million on transfer fees alone these last two Championship seasons. Its complete and utter madness that we are embargoed and they aren't.

If only we were getting the lawyers involved. I bet they would make mincemeat of this.

Whilst I applaud Kamys effort, I dont think that he knows for definate. For instance, how could Leeds come out of an embargo when they did if that was the case?

Leeds got it lifted because their March accounts apparently (no public evidence) displayed an improvement in their losses (no doubt helped by the £11 million for McCormack and countless Sky payments last season).

They then went out and signed Chris Wood for £2.5 million on £20,000 a week wages, which in my logic would put them back at risk of unacceptable losses once again.

The next opportunity is November to get it lifted for January. If we don't get it lifted then someone, whether that is Shaw or the Football League, will have some explaining to do.

That's what the Cairney sale has paid for :(

As sickening as that is, I am pleased that at least the money we have got for him has gone straight back into the club and should help the club, rather than going straight into the owners back pockets.

One of the few positives is it indicates they are still committed to paying these people off and keeping the club going.

Has anyone considered hat Best probably made the "testimonial" a condition of agreeing to leave so that he can refer it to any other club stupid enough to consider taking him on?

Maybe he did, but that doesn't justify not a word of thanks or best wishes for Tom Cairney for his contribution to the club.

Has anyone considered hat Best probably made the "testimonial" a condition of agreeing to leave so that he can refer it to any other club stupid enough to consider taking him on?

That does not excuse the Cairney faux pas though

That does not excuse the Cairney faux pas though

No, but it points to a direction that the person with "cut and paste" duties wasn't about at the time TC left.

I have no issue with either personally- TC said enough on twitter, and GB said enough in the interview to satisfy me on this subject.

If there was a question I had for management, it wouldn't be who writes and decides what goes on the website.

That might well be the case, but it still leaves a bad taste that Cairney didn't receive a word of thanks. Not that he's going to lose sleep over it. All the same, it reflects poorly on the club.

If it is correct that the cut off point for accounts was the end of June, then surely it would have made a lot more sense for the club to have paid Best off then, rather than waiting until now?

Cairney went in June, so we had time to use the money for him to pay Best off before the deadline.

I just hope we know what we are doing re. the embargo and haven't harmed our chances of getting it lifted in January by leaving it until now to pay Best off.

If it is correct that the cut off point for accounts was the end of June, then surely it would have made a lot more sense for the club to have paid Best off then, rather than waiting until now?

Cairney went in June, so we had time to use the money for him to pay Best off before the deadline.

I just hope we know what we are doing re. the embargo and haven't harmed our chances of getting it lifted in January by leaving it until now to pay Best off.

The cut off was end of June so the club must be hopeful that with the Cairney sale, and not paying off Best until after - we can get out of embargo when they review the accounts up to the end of June, which I think happens in January.

• Backroom

Best was one of the many players signed during Kean's final months who produced very little but cost us a ton of money, contributing to our debt skyrocketing and a big part of the reason we ended up under an embargo. I'm sure Best will be picked up by somebody, but it'll be at a fraction of the wages he was on here. Much like Murphy, Etuhu and Orr he hit the jackpot with us and clung on for every last penny owed whilst giving the club nothing in return.

Archived