BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rant (4?)

You're okay for normalizing mental illness, just because you hate radical Islam?

We don't indulge the delusions of psychotics, but for 'transgenders' it's socially acceptable.

Transgender identification is a form of mental illness?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're okay for normalizing mental illness, just because you hate radical Islam?

We don't indulge the delusions of psychotics, but for 'transgenders' it's socially acceptable.

No, I'm happy for people to have the freedom to do whatever they want if it's not harming others. Just used IS as an example of the opposite case and how the concept of telling others what they can and can't do or be like can lead to terrible results.

Also disagree that it's a mental illness or form of psychosis. People said exactly the same about being gay until it was finally accepted as being perfectly natural for a minority (in many animal species too). So the goalposts have moved and now it's transgender people who provoke discomfort. Well hopefully in a few decades people will have gotten over that as well.

Just to add to SKHT's post:

Homosexuality has been observed in 99% of species.

Homophobia has been observed only in humans.

Ever seen the Imitation Game? They reckon Alan Turing saved as many as 20 million lives by ending world war 2 years early with his work. And his reward was being arrested for homosexual acts and having his utterly genius brain forcibly wrecked with electricity to the point where he decided to kill himself. It's kinda despicable how look it took for him to get a pardon to when by rights he should have a statue right next to Churchill.

• Backroom

Completely agree.

Someone asked Steve Jobs if the bitten apple logo of 'Apple' was in tribute to Turing, as he killed himself biting a poisoned apple.

His response: 'It's not, but we wish it were'.

No, I'm happy for people to have the freedom to do whatever they want if it's not harming others. Just used IS as an example of the opposite case and how the concept of telling others what they can and can't do or be like can lead to terrible results.

Also disagree that it's a mental illness or form of psychosis. People said exactly the same about being gay until it was finally accepted as being perfectly natural for a minority (in many animal species too). So the goalposts have moved and now it's transgender people who provoke discomfort. Well hopefully in a few decades people will have gotten over that as well.

You can't compare sexual-preference to gender.

Gender is biologically determined by chromosomes and anatomy. It's an immutable fact, just like your age and your ethnicity. But because we live in a permissive, postmodern society we cater to the delusions of those who are mentally ill. These people deserve the best in psychiatric help, not chopping their bits off and being pumped with hormones so that reality conforms with their own skewed self-image.

• Backroom

You can't compare sexual-preference to gender.

Gender is biologically determined by chromosomes and anatomy. It's an immutable fact, just like your age and your ethnicity. But because we live in a permissive, postmodern society we cater to the delusions of those who are mentally ill. These people deserve the best in psychiatric help, not chopping their bits off and being pumped with hormones so that reality conforms with their own skewed self-image.

'Man has sex with woman' was thought of in similar terms though. It IS the same imo.

'Man has sex with woman' was thought of in similar terms though. It IS the same imo.

No, Mike, it is not. There are different levels of sexuality, it is a variable.

If you're born a woman, you're a woman. And no amount of demagoguery will change that biological fact.

You don't know as much about this as you think you do.

Gender is decided in the womb, yes. If a child is meant to be male then a rush of testosterone is released at an early stage. This causes the obvious physical changes and also changes the brain chemistry.

Sometimes it goes wrong and the body changes but the brain doesn't. Even more rarely the brain changes but the body doesn't.

Where I kind of agree is that I'm not convinced about the ethics of surgery. Would trans people have the same desire to change if society was more accepting of them as they are? Are sex change operations a modern version of gay men in the 50's going through aversion treatment to 'cure' themselves?

Lazy Beggars. GRRRRRRRR! Sitting there all day every day doing absolutely NOTHING. The @#/?!

If I had all that free time I could be fluent in Mandarin Chinese or a professional musician by now. The Lazy @#/?! Do something with your time FFS!

There's literally no excuse. Especially since educating yourself is largely FREE! Time is precious and those lazy @#/? are just wasting it all.

Why doesn't Theresa May give the junior doctors what they want?

She had a terrific opportunity to start her PMship by settling the dispute, instead she's decided to back that lying swine Hunt and round and round we go.

Hopsitals in this country are at breaking point, no beds, closed A&E's, people on trolleys in corridors, underfunded, and yet they're imposing contracts on these life savers, no wonder they can't get UK staff and the NHS is full of agency works making a bleedin fortune.

She had a terrific opportunity to start her PMship by settling the dispute, instead she's decided to back that lying swine Hunt and round and round we go.

Hopsitals in this country are at breaking point, no beds, closed A&E's, people on trolleys in corridors, underfunded, and yet they're imposing contracts on these life savers, no wonder they can't get UK staff and the NHS is full of agency works making a bleedin fortune.

That's the whole point. Destroy the NHS through financial meltdown and poor staff morale, then sell it off to their mates at BUPA et al on the cheap. The agencies make a load of money too (not the staff in the hospitals doing the work), and put a bit aside for the 2020 election. David Cameron and a few others are said to have received funding for elections from private health and social care companies whilst Jeremy Hunt wrote a paper on how the NHS should be dismantled and sold into private hands. I doubt Mrs. May is any different.

The only reason they've not done it already is that it would be political suicide as many agree about the founding principles of the NHS, that health should be there for all, not just those with money.

You don't know as much about this as you think you do.

Gender is decided in the womb, yes. If a child is meant to be male then a rush of testosterone is released at an early stage. This causes the obvious physical changes and also changes the brain chemistry.

Sometimes it goes wrong and the body changes but the brain doesn't. Even more rarely the brain changes but the body doesn't.

Where I kind of agree is that I'm not convinced about the ethics of surgery. Would trans people have the same desire to change if society was more accepting of them as they are? Are sex change operations a modern version of gay men in the 50's going through aversion treatment to 'cure' themselves?

There is no conclusive scientific evidence for what causes gender dysphoria.

But you did bring an ultra-liberal and an Islamophobe together, so props on that.

She doesn't want to start her PMship backing down to the doctors, as she knows that would be just the start. Think nursing staff, senior doctors, admin staff etc who have all had pay freezes. They are trying to impose 7 day working on them, but the staff don't want it, and theres no money in it for them either- so why should they.

I'm also far from convinced theres any meaningful stats backing up the Tory pledge - we have a 7 day emergency service- we don't need audiology clinics on a Sunday afternoon.

Does anyone know what obligation the doctors are under in terms of working weekends under the current and proposed systems? I get how the pay is changing but in terms of contractual obligation to work certain hours, do they have to work weekends at the moment or is it voluntary? And I assume that it is changing to mandatory under the new system?

• Moderation Lead

Does anyone know what obligation the doctors are under in terms of working weekends under the current and proposed systems? I get how the pay is changing but in terms of contractual obligation to work certain hours, do they have to work weekends at the moment or is it voluntary? And I assume that it is changing to mandatory under the new system?

I know it's the BBC and you're not keen, but this seems to be the crux of it- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34383677

Archived