BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rant (4?)

I know it's the BBC and you're not keen, but this seems to be the crux of it- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34383677

Thanks. So its looks like they've always contractually been obliged to work weekends if required, but the high overtime pay has warded the government off requiring it too often in the past.

Well I don't support them based on what I know about the changes. They're in a service industry. Shopkeepers, hairdressers, bar staff etc don't get overtime pay for working on weekends. Provided they're not forced into 6-day weeks (e.g. they get a week day off if they work a Saturday) then that just comes with the job. Plus they're getting a pay rise to compensate for the loss of weekend overtime pay, which is pretty generous in my opinion.

As for the other issue, the removal of incremental pay increases to be replaced with training-based and knowledge-progression evaluations, well welcome to the real world to be honest. No private company for decades has simply handed out wage increases based on years of service, everything is a meritocracy these days. I've never gotten a pay rise above inflation (or rarely even at inflation) without an increase in responsibility or a significantly changed job role.

Its a privileged few who still get incremental wage increases simply for doing their job even in the public sector, I think teachers still get them. Well fair play if you've got it then you're gonna want to keep it. Doesn't mean I have to back it though.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

The main problem is relating to safety as far as I can see it. The more tired they are from working longer hours, the more likely they are to make a mistake or whatever. A doctor making a mistake is obviously something that could be fatal.

As far as I'm concerned, Doctors need to be treated with respect and not contempt by the government. Though when our health secretary has penned a book about dismantling the NHS, I suppose it's easy to see why he might like to do something divisive with it......

Thanks. So its looks like they've always contractually been obliged to work weekends if required, but the high overtime pay has warded the government off requiring it too often in the past.

Well I don't support them based on what I know about the changes. They're in a service industry. Shopkeepers, hairdressers, bar staff etc don't get overtime pay for working on weekends. Provided they're not forced into 6-day weeks (e.g. they get a week day off if they work a Saturday) then that just comes with the job. Plus they're getting a pay rise to compensate for the loss of weekend overtime pay, which is pretty generous in my opinion.

As for the other issue, the removal of incremental pay increases to be replaced with training-based and knowledge-progression evaluations, well welcome to the real world to be honest. No private company for decades has simply handed out wage increases based on years of service, everything is a meritocracy these days. I've never gotten a pay rise above inflation (or rarely even at inflation) without an increase in responsibility or a significantly changed job role.

Its a privileged few who still get incremental wage increases simply for doing their job even in the public sector, I think teachers still get them. Well fair play if you've got it then you're gonna want to keep it. Doesn't mean I have to back it though.

I think the problem the junior doctors see is that if more hours are designated as normal times, then they will be made to fill those hours on a more regular basis, so although they may not start off worse off, when the rota are re-done, then they will and they will be working more weekend hours.

I don't disagree on the incremental pay rises for all staff (esp those on maternity leave), but Id suggest that there may not be much trust that the performance targets would be achievable. Its up to the government to put the right assurances in place before the contract is agreed IMO.

Comparing it to a hairdressers is wrong- its a completely different industry. What is the need for a non-emergency clinic on a weekend rather than a weekday? It's going to cost you the tax-payer more.

But overall I agree with Al - you shouldn't be made to change your contract without your agreement.

Hunt has approached this in a terrible manner - putting out statements via the media rather than to the BMA etc, and its therefore a cheap shot (and totally ironic) when a politician accuses someone of playing politics.

In reality the Tories will be able to do what they want to the NHS cone the next general election. With boundary changes and Labour committing suicide they will have a huge guaranteed majority whatever they do so look out for more privatisation and incentives for insurance schemes.

Shame on everyone concerned with the Labour Party as well for handing this mandate to the Tories at a time when they should have been uniting to defend the NHS and our rights.

My rant is about this site. I thought it was supposed to be a football site to discuss Rovers but it seems that football has been forgotten completely. All anybody seems to want to post about is embarrassing the Venkys.

I am now bored with this and want to see posts discussing the team, the players and football. I used to be able to spend hours on here reading interesting posts. Now I am bored within ten minutes reading about umpteen ways of getting Venkys out. Yes I want rid of them but it is now an obsession and has taken over from the football.

I know I will get shot down for posting this but I believe that the site is now less interesting because of the obsession with the owners.

My rant is about this site. I thought it was supposed to be a football site to discuss Rovers but it seems that football has been forgotten completely. All anybody seems to want to post about is embarrassing the Venkys.

I am now bored with this and want to see posts discussing the team, the players and football. I used to be able to spend hours on here reading interesting posts. Now I am bored within ten minutes reading about umpteen ways of getting Venkys out. Yes I want rid of them but it is now an obsession and has taken over from the football.

I know I will get shot down for posting this but I believe that the site is now less interesting because of the obsession with the owners.

I think the difference between you and most Rovers fans (or at least most on here) Al is you must still have hope. I have zero hope, none whatsoever with anything football-related regarding Rovers. I thought I had none pre-Lambert, but I obviously had some left because it flourished again under Lambert, but since his departure I now know for sure I have none. The last thing to hope for, that Venkys would stumble across a good manager purely by accident, has been shown to be a non-starter as well. If they do manage the trick twice, they'll just do the same thing, lie to and massively fail to impress upon the new guy that we're capable of doing anything or going anywhere successful. And no ambitious professionals waste their times with lost causes, which is exactly what we are.

We're going the way of Portsmouth and Blackpool unless Venkys are somehow miraculously given the boot, make no mistake about it. I'd bet all my worldly possessions that that's what'll happen, simply a matter of time. The managers are appointed through either corruption or incompetence, and range from poor to diabolical in ability. The wage bill is reduced severely every season, so you know for a fact that if any player does still somehow manage to develop despite being managed by dross, he'll be out at the next available transfer window (either because he can't stand to play for us anymore or because Venkys want the money, or both). And when that player leaves, we get in a freebie and the reset button is pressed until some other player slowly emerges out of the squad showing above average ability.

What's the point in commenting on that? I don't see any. You can't infer from any positive a further positive because nothing at the club has had any effort put into it with long-term improvement in mind. Quite the opposite, we're pretty much seeing an asset stripping exercise being carried out in the timescale of years. Personally I couldn't even pretend to be enthusiastic about it.

Guy around here who deliberately parks in the middle of the space. He could move up a little, but because he's @#/? scared of parallel parkers he takes up 2 spaces. Normally I don't give a crap but it's infuriating when you have visitors and they have to park halfway down the road because of this dipshit and parking spaces are like gold dust as it is.

• Backroom

my rant is preston based today...just had misfortune to go deepdale retail.....which moronic braindead halfwit designed the lights there .

With you there, even when it's quiet you get stuck going down to deepdale between the lights.

really al?

They have torn and ripped us apart . Thousands are not going including me . Yes its an obsession because we want rid ....do you ?

Of course I want rid Abs, just like everybody else. I passionately want proper owners but in the meantime I still enjoy watching my team and will not be stopped from going by our pathetic owners. I therefore want to discuss football with like minded supporters.

All this anti Venkys thing needs discussing but at the moment nothing else is being discussed and until some positive action is taken I see little reason for endlessly moaning about how bad things are. If there is something positive that I can do I will help and have already contributed to the petitions. In the meantime I want to talk about what is still MY team.

I knew when I posted that few would agree with me but that is something that I have to put up with as a supporter.

• Moderation Lead

The problem is, removing Venky's from the club supersedes what happens on the pitch at the moment and it stands to reason it's what most people will be discussing at the moment, really.

We're far from a normal club at the moment, as you know, therefore there will be far less discussion re on the field matters.

I must admit though, one of the best quotes from the Venky's era, for me was Michael Appleton 'we're a football club, not a movie production'.

I'll seriously enjoy the day we return to being just that once more......

Why lock the referendum thread ? The process will take at least 2 years and there are developments every day - this weekend there was the G20 summit when more revelations came out about the governments shifting view on Brexit.

Doesn't make sense.

Why lock the referendum thread ? The process will take at least 2 years and there are developments every day - this weekend there was the G20 summit when more revelations came out about the governments shifting view on Brexit.

Doesn't make sense.

I would have to agree with this. Maybe start another one to discuss Brexit? I can understand why mods would be frustrated with the incessant "You lost, get over it" or "Blame it on Brexit" type posts, but there is much to discuss in respect of whether and how we proceed from here.

I would have to agree with this. Maybe start another one to discuss Brexit? I can understand why mods would be frustrated with the incessant "You lost, get over it" or "Blame it on Brexit" type posts, but there is much to discuss in respect of whether and how we proceed from here.

Totally agree. If we closed every thread that ended up 'going round in circles' half the threads would have to be closed.

• Backroom

If people were actually discussing Brexit it would've stayed open. Posters can't keep mudslinging and think it's allowed.

Actually discussing the implications of Brexit is fine, but posters must stop attacking both sides using snobbish terms like 'Brexit rabble' or 'Get over it'.

• Backroom

Taste the difference sandwiches, wraps, and subsequently removed from Sainsburys meal deals! The hell, bro?? Just a basic sandwich?

Never mind, I'll just have a pasta pot instead... no more convenient plastic folding fork? Sainsburys, who hurt you and why are you lashing out like this?

Archived