BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He does it all the time. He's pathetic. That's why the Lancashire Telegraph continue to use him as a columnist. Now that Rhodes has gone after 3 years of relentless rumour spreading they are having to find someone else to fill the void. After this season's misery the only 2 who can do that are Hanley and Duffy, so lo and behold here we are in March with a 'club legend' starting off building up some mythical interest/uncertainty. Let the fun and games begin.

The Telegraph prefer it because it spares them the job of actually having to do some reporting/journalism themselves. Rather than fill their pages with research/facts/inside info/news about transfer targets/boardroom changes its far easier and cheaper and fits the small club attitude to pay someone like Gallacher to invent interest in our best players and stir up speculation about them. Within 2 weeks one of the national papers will have a similar story with Palace/West Brom as a likely destination.

If he wanted the best for the club he wouldn't even be entertaining the prospect of losing them. They are both under contract and we want to get promoted next season. Then again this is the bloke who a few years ago was writing in the Telegraph stressing how important it was that we kept hold of Mark Hughes whilst simultaneously writing in the Newcastle Gazette suggesting they could do a lot worse than appoint Hughes.

He does it all the time. He's pathetic. That's why the Lancashire Telegraph continue to use him as a columnist. Now that Rhodes has gone after 3 years of relentless rumour spreading they are having to find someone else to fill the void. After this season's misery the only 2 who can do that are Hanley and Duffy, so lo and behold here we are in March with a 'club legend' starting off building up some mythical interest/uncertainty. Let the fun and games begin.

The Telegraph prefer it because it spares them the job of actually having to do some reporting/journalism themselves. Rather than fill their pages with research/facts/inside info/news about transfer targets/boardroom changes its far easier and cheaper and fits the small club attitude to pay someone like Gallacher to invent interest in our best players and stir up speculation about them. Within 2 weeks one of the national papers will have a similar story with Palace/West Brom as a likely destination.

If he wanted the best for the club he wouldn't even be entertaining the prospect of losing them. They are both under contract and we want to get promoted next season. Then again this is the bloke who a few years ago was writing in the Telegraph stressing how important it was that we kept hold of Mark Hughes whilst simultaneously writing in the Newcastle Gazette suggesting they could do a lot worse than appoint Hughes.

Heard a rumour that Lambert is happy to cash in on both of these two. Kevin might just be bang on the money.

Lambert is also looking to bring a large number of the youth team into the first team squad (6/7), rates them.

Heard a rumour that Lambert is happy to cash in on both of these two. Kevin might just be bang on the money.

Lambert is also looking to bring a large number of the youth team into the first team squad (6/7), rates them.

If Lambert is happy to cash in on his two best performers, captain and arguably one of the best defensive partnerships in the Championship this season yet has aspirations of trying to get promoted next season then he's being very brave.

Either way I doubt very much that Kevin Gallacher has any idea what Lambert is planning on doing in the summer or what budget he has to work with. Gallacher is stirring it up just like he has for the last 6-7 years as the season draws to a close, the summer window approaches and 'interest' in our best performers over the season starts to build. One way to cause mass panic and negativity among supporters is by banging on about possibly losing our better players ahead of every transfer window.

I'd prefer it if the local paper and those writing in it were more positive about the club and the summer window, and did some proper reporting into potential targets and budgets to work with, rather than taking the usual easy route of warning about possible interest in our better players, without any evidence to support it. They've done it for 3 years running with Jordan Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Marshall, now they're on to the next ones.

Why would that be though unless it's more cost cutting, money making. Has Lambert been brought in to do the dirty work and all this promotion/budget talk is window dressing to cover up the real situation going on ?

Hope not but it does make you wonder ?

Unless you've still not gotten over GB's sacking and are mischief making of course ;)

If Lambert is happy to cash in on his two best performers, captain and arguably one of the best defensive partnerships in the Championship this season yet has aspirations of trying to get promoted next season then he's being very brave.

Either way I doubt very much that Kevin Gallacher has any idea what Lambert is planning on doing in the summer or what budget he has to work with. Gallacher is stirring it up just like he has for the last 6-7 years as the season draws to a close, the summer window approaches and 'interest' in our best performers over the season starts to build. One way to cause mass panic and negativity among supporters is by banging on about possibly losing our better players ahead of every transfer window.

I'd prefer it if the local paper and those writing in it were more positive about the club and the summer window, and did some proper reporting into potential targets and budgets to work with, rather than taking the usual easy route of warning about possible interest in our better players, without any evidence to support it. They've done it for 3 years running with Jordan Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Marshall, now they're on to the next ones.

3 of the 4 you mention no longer play for us, we sold them. What more evidence do you want?

Gallacher and Lambert were team mates, i think you are being naive if you don't think they would talk.

Lambert has shown already how he is willing to use the media to flog Rhodes, journos have been used since time began by clubs to let it be known players are available.

Why would that be though unless it's more cost cutting, money making. Has Lambert been brought in to do the dirty work and all this promotion/budget talk is window dressing to cover up the real situation going on ?

Hope not but it does make you wonder ?

Unless you've still not gotten over GB's sacking and are mischief making of course ;)

Not at all. I would educate a guess, that if true, the manager thinks he can develop a better team if he cashes in on them. It wouldn't surprise me if Venkys are not giving him as much and he has decided he can raise the cash this way.

12 months ago many on here wouldn't have given them away. We are clearly a better team now after he cashed in on Rhodes, so he should be able to sell/buy whoever he wants.

3 of the 4 you mention no longer play for us, we sold them. What more evidence do you want?

Gallacher and Lambert were team mates, i think you are being naive if you don't think they would talk.

Lambert has shown already how he is willing to use the media to flog Rhodes, journos have been used since time began by clubs to let it be known players are available.

Not at all. I would educate a guess, that if true, the manager thinks he can develop a better team if he cashes in on them. It wouldn't surprise me if Venkys are not giving him as much and he has decided he can raise the cash this way.

12 months ago many on here wouldn't have given them away. We are clearly a better team now after he cashed in on Rhodes, so he should be able to sell/buy whoever he wants.

But Gallacher isn't saying Lambert might want to sell them. He isn't saying anything about what Lambert might want, only that if they continue to play well then Rovers will/may struggle to hold on to them in the summer. He's taking the usual position of if Rovers have a half decent player who performs well then Rovers will have to roll over and let those players move on, rather than fight tooth and nail to keep them here ahead of a promotion push. If he was saying 'I have it on good authority that the manager is preparing to sell them to raise money' then that might be different. Whilst they might have been team-mates at one stage I'd be very surprised if Lambert was letting Gallacher in on his transfer plans knowing that he writes for the local paper and goes on Radio Lancashire frequently.

All we've had here is a generic story that is virtually identical to that seen in advance of transfer windows for the last 4 years. Cut and paste the words 'Duffy' or 'Hanley' for 'Rhodes', 'Gestede' or 'Marshall' and its the same thing. We'll have several more from other ex-players and local reporters over the next 5 months.

I know that eventually people like Rhodes and Gestede left, but that was after months/years of almost relentless speculation and stories in the papers, Telegraph included, linking them with moves to about 30 different clubs. Of course in the end they were always going to leave at some stage, but I don't think that legislates for stories like these being printed every few months on the off chance it might happen in the upcoming window, and I don't think it points towards some 'in the know' reporting, rather just wild speculation that our better players 'might' have some interest, without considering that the club might be loathe to lose them and won't let them leave.

But Gallacher isn't saying Lambert might want to sell them. He isn't saying anything about what Lambert might want, only that if they continue to play well then Rovers will/may struggle to hold on to them in the summer. He's taking the usual position of if Rovers have a half decent player who performs well then Rovers will have to roll over and let those players move on, rather than fight tooth and nail to keep them here ahead of a promotion push. If he was saying 'I have it on good authority that the manager is preparing to sell them to raise money' then that might be different. Whilst they might have been team-mates at one stage I'd be very surprised if Lambert was letting Gallacher in on his transfer plans knowing that he writes for the local paper and goes on Radio Lancashire frequently.

All we've had here is a generic story that is virtually identical to that seen in advance of transfer windows for the last 4 years. Cut and paste the words 'Duffy' or 'Hanley' for 'Rhodes', 'Gestede' or 'Marshall' and its the same thing. We'll have several more from other ex-players and local reporters over the next 5 months.

I know that eventually people like Rhodes and Gestede left, but that was after months/years of almost relentless speculation and stories in the papers, Telegraph included, linking them with moves to about 30 different clubs. Of course in the end they were always going to leave at some stage, but I don't think that legislates for stories like these being printed every few months on the off chance it might happen in the upcoming window, and I don't think it points towards some 'in the know' reporting, rather just wild speculation that our better players 'might' have some interest, without considering that the club might be loathe to lose them and won't let them leave.

If Gallacher says that though it's the worst thing that he could say. Managers have used friends/contacts in the media for years to get the message they want out there.

I really don't think that Gallacher operates in the "wild speculation" bracket. So you don't think anyone at all will be interested in one/both of our centre halves?

Selling Hanley and Duffy would be a huge mistake IMO. Although Duffy, particularly, is prone to the odd mistake, I'd suggest that's the only area of the team that is currently good enough to win promotion.

Yeah i agree. I wouldn't be looking to sell if we have cash. If we don't have cash, then there is not much else to sell to improve.

Nothing to debate about the Gallagher comments. He says there might be interest in Hanley and Duffy - and he's right.

The Myers story "might" be of far more interest.

You have to ask what's Wheelock agenda by using Kevin Gallagher in this way.

Nothing to debate about the Gallagher comments. He says there might be interest in Hanley and Duffy - and he's right.

The Myers story "might" be of far more interest.

And Venkys might give Lambert £20 million and let him cherry pick the best players from across the Championship. Who knows.

Maybe's and possibilities are meaningless at this point, yet the Telegraph and Gallacher as usual take the worst case scenario and start priming us and filling our heads with the possibility that our best players might once again be sold. Why not do the opposite and talk about which players we could sign if the manager is given a good budget to spend?

The reason is that they are negative about Rovers and they love it.

I don't! I know I'm not a manager but when I used to watch Jones and Hanley you could tell they'd be first team players. I've seen nothing in the youth matches to suggest our team has any first team players coming through in the same way.

• Backroom

I don't! I know I'm not a manager but when I used to watch Jones and Hanley you could tell they'd be first team players. I've seen nothing in the youth matches to suggest our team has any first team players coming through in the same way.

I don't think any team in the top two divisions has been met with anything other than ruin by bringing a large number of youth team players into the first team. You need a mixture of experience and youth, too much of either leads to disaster.

On the other hand, unless a source is named I would take any "rumours" with a massive pinch of salt.

I don't think any team in the top two divisions has been met with anything other than ruin by bringing a large number of youth team players into the first team. You need a mixture of experience and youth, too much of either leads to disaster.

On the other hand, unless a source is named I would take any "rumours" with a massive pinch of salt.

I'm not necessarily believing it, but if true it would definitely worry me

Not seen any games for a long time, so cannot really comment about individuals myself.

Leighnan is obviously now part of the 1st team. Have we not been getting to finals of cups over the last few years?

I need to learn from you gumboots it's a great post.JAL

As Alan Hanson remembers with his, you'll never win anything with youngsters, remark about united.

• Backroom

As Alan Hanson remembers with his, you'll never win anything with youngsters, remark about united.

Even at that time United had the likes of Pallister, Bruce, Irwin, Cantona, David May and McClair in the team to balance it out a little though. According to wiki Schmeichel was 32 as well.

On the other hand, if we have the next Beckham, Scholes or Giggs in our youth ranks, by all means, call em up...

Archived