BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

Rooney will always start. Can't see how Kane plays left wing as above. For me, you'd have to pick Sterling, he scares defenders.

Hart

Clyne Stones Cahill Gibbs

Dier Ali

Sterling Rooney Lallana

Kane

Unless Vardy can play left wing?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant believe france world cup 98 was nearly 20 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was a great tournament(not as good as euro96, but close)

this should be a good tournament(shame the england squad is mostly just full of self centred spoilt brats) the conditions in france are ideal for good football

I think England will do OK. I always say that though.

I've no idea on the starting 11 either. Alli, Vardy, Dier, and Kane have had good seasons but I don't know if they'll start. Wilshere, if fit, should play as he a player who can keep the ball; essential in international football. However, he's made of glass. Even if he starts playing tomorrow he might not have enough games under his belt. Contrary to that is that he'll just be getting up to full fitness come June, when everyone else is knackered. It's the same with Sturridge. I'd play him.

I didn't know much about Lallana before the last world cup. I asked on here and the majority of opinions were that he was class. He's not been consistent at Liverpool but he's another who can hold a ball, is fit, and can play on the left and right.

Hart
Clyne Smalling Stones Baines
Wilshere Henderson
Lallana Rooney Sterling
Sturridge

Subs include Vardy, Kane, Alli, Barkley, Cahill, Carroll, 2 keepers, Cahill, Dier or Jones (cover for both central defence or midfield), Milner, Bertrand or Gibbs.

• Moderation Lead

Some mixed views on Lallana and I do get why people don't think he's all that. BUT, he's incredibly two footed, skilful and has an eye for a goal.

I've no idea on the starting 11 either. Alli, Vardy, Dier, and Kane have had good seasons but I don't know if they'll start. Wilshere, if fit, should play as he a player who can keep the ball; essential in international football. However, he's made of glass. Even if he starts playing tomorrow he might not have enough games under his belt. Contrary to that is that he'll just be getting up to full fitness come June, when everyone else is knackered. It's the same with Sturridge. I'd play him.

I didn't know much about Lallana before the last world cup. I asked on here and the majority of opinions were that he was class. He's not been consistent at Liverpool but he's another who can hold a ball, is fit, and can play on the left and right.

Hart

Wilshere Henderson

Lallana Rooney Sterling

Sturridge

Subs include Vardy, Kane, Alli, Barkley, Cahill, Carroll, 2 keepers, Cahill, Dier or Jones (cover for both central defence or midfield), Milner, Bertrand or Gibbs.

Kane is definitely ahead of Sturridge now. Sturridge has only had one prolific season (and even that was playing alongside Suarez).

Kane has done it for two seasons in a row now, and perhaps crucially, has done it leading the line on his own.

I wouldn't even have Sturridge in the squad as things stand, I'd go with Kane, Vardy, Welbeck and Rooney as the forward players.

I wouldn't have Stones as starting centre back, he's had a poor season. It would be great if John Stones was as good as John Stones thought he was, if you watch him closely his reading of the game is dreadful, often really struggles to anticipate danger. Cahill and Smalling in there for me, not a massive fan of either but preferable to Stones.

If Sturridge is fit he has to play, one of the few genuinely quality footballers at our disposal. I wouldnt pick Lallana either, very one paced. Wilshire hasn't played let alone had a good game for club or country in 18 months, even before then his form was all over the place. He's dined out on that performance against Barcelona and Pep's comments for far too long now, I'd rather see Alli or Dier in there ahead of him. I'd like to see a midfield of Sterling, Alli, Barkley and Dier. Pace, power and in Barkley and Dier attack minded players who also revel in putting their foot in. On form alone Kane and Vardy upfront, unless Sturridge is fit.

Kane is definitely ahead of Sturridge now. Sturridge has only had one prolific season (and even that was playing alongside Suarez).

Kane has done it for two seasons in a row now, and perhaps crucially, has done it leading the line on his own.

I wouldn't even have Sturridge in the squad as things stand, I'd go with Kane, Vardy, Welbeck and Rooney as the forward players.

Not a bad argument. The team I listed has no players from England's top 2 teams.

I remember touting playing as many Liverpool players as possible in the World Cup as they were tremendous that season. Now I'm picking against on form Spurs and Leicester players.

I'd not be against a spine of Dier, Alli, and Kane.

I dont think english playets in general are even close to being technically good enough to really do well in the big tournaments, i think our best chance would be to apoint sam allardyce with his simple but effective tactic and excellent organisational and motivational skills. (and im not really even a big sam fan, but i just think he's our best bet at achieving something right now at international level)

I expected more from hodgson when he took over having been a fan of his since his Blackburn days, but so far i think he's been mediocre at best.

I don't really have any interest in England to be honest, never really been able to identify with the national team. I followed them more when they moved around the country whilst Wembley was being rebuilt but since the return my minimal interest has waned. That said, I think they should play 4-4-2 and revel in the English style of play. All this stuff about pressing, etc, we basically invented it. Our game was built on intensity and forward who didn't let defenders settle, the FA seem almost ashamed of playing two banks of well organised well drilled players who attack down the wings at pace. It baffles me, its our greatest attribute yet we try and catch on to whoevers model is the choice of the day. Post France 98 the FA decided we had to follow the Clairefontaine model, then it was Spain and the possession model, then Germany. Each time we come to the party too late and are implementing a blueprint that has already reached its peak and is on the wane. I'd much rather see Vardy, Kane, Alli and Barkley charging round than some 3rd rate Barcelona impersonation. I will never forget the disgrace that was the display against Italy where Scott Parker stood 10 feet away from Pirlo all game. If that was in the premier league, he would have been swamped and most likely crunched in the first 5 minutes. Thats how we play, why change to a formula thats alien to our players?

I don't really have any interest in England to be honest, never really been able to identify with the national team. I followed them more when they moved around the country whilst Wembley was being rebuilt but since the return my minimal interest has waned. That said, I think they should play 4-4-2 and revel in the English style of play. All this stuff about pressing, etc, we basically invented it. Our game was built on intensity and forward who didn't let defenders settle, the FA seem almost ashamed of playing two banks of well organised well drilled players who attack down the wings at pace. It baffles me, its our greatest attribute yet we try and catch on to whoevers model is the choice of the day. Post France 98 the FA decided we had to follow the Clairefontaine model, then it was Spain and the possession model, then Germany. Each time we come to the party too late and are implementing a blueprint that has already reached its peak and is on the wane. I'd much rather see Vardy, Kane, Alli and Barkley charging round than some 3rd rate Barcelona impersonation. I will never forget the disgrace that was the display against Italy where Scott Parker stood 10 feet away from Pirlo all game. If that was in the premier league, he would have been swamped and most likely crunched in the first 5 minutes. Thats how we play, why change to a formula thats alien to our players?

I have a much greater affinity for the national team now that I don't live in England. I love the Premier League too yet unfortunately the English model doesn't work at international level. They'd get picked off time and again as it leaves gaps to exploit.

Also, the fact that the Premier League is played at breakneck speed would make it harder for players to have the energy to do it again during the summer.

I'm all for as many English players as possible playing overseas. In France, Italy, and Spain there's not the intensity of play and there's also a winter break to keep players fresher come tournament time.

The England team that did well at Italia 90 had more overseas based players, Scotland included, than any since. With no European cups to play in either due to the Euro ban the English based players also played fewer games before the tournament. Many argue that they were better players but they didn't have the overall talent of Sven's 02-06 "golden generation" who all played weekly in the Premier League and the latter stages of European competitions.

Hart

Wilshere Henderson

Lallana Rooney Sterling

Sturridge

RE: Wilshere, I'm sure his last few games for England he was far and away our best player. I don't think he has ever reached his full potential due to injuries and possibly a not so professional attitude but if fit enough he would be a definite starter for me.

I'm also personally hoping that Rooney doesn't make the tournament. We look a less effective unit at the top level with him in the team than without imo. He's not excellent at anything anymore and his lack of pace slows us down when in theory we should at least be able to threaten teams with pace and power if not skill.

I have a much greater affinity for the national team now that I don't live in England. I love the Premier League too yet unfortunately the English model doesn't work at international level. They'd get picked off time and again as it leaves gaps to exploit.

Also, the fact that the Premier League is played at breakneck speed would make it harder for players to have the energy to do it again during the summer.

I'm all for as many English players as possible playing overseas. In France, Italy, and Spain there's not the intensity of play and there's also a winter break to keep players fresher come tournament time.

The England team that did well at Italia 90 had more overseas based players, Scotland included, than any since. With no European cups to play in either due to the Euro ban the English based players also played fewer games before the tournament. Many argue that they were better players but they didn't have the overall talent of Sven's 02-06 "golden generation" who all played weekly in the Premier League and the latter stages of European competitions.

I disagree, the idea the English model doesn't work is a fallacy. It's not been tested in the last 20 years so there is no evidence to back this common misconception IMO. The last time it was used was Euro 96 and that went alright didn't it.

I think trying to teach players to play a totally different system to the one they play week in week out on a 3 week training camp and expect them to beat teams who have used it as a blueprint for 10 + years is mental. Germany and Spain's current crop have been playing to a system for at least 10 years yet we expect our players to pick it up in a few weeks, its beyond parody.

The Germans went off a blueprint devised by Howard Wilkinson, which our FA ignored! It's certainly been bearing fruit for them.

It wouldn't be the first time the 'experts' (a selection of county reps/elected idiots with little to no qualification) at the FA have had good development plans placed in front of them only to file them under B for bin. The most baffling thing was much of Wilkinson's report was already taking place in other parts of europe; small pitches, max 7 a-side, no leagues so its not like he was suggesting anything particularly outlandish. The most terrifying thing was that that report came out in what, late 90's? and its only recently that elements of it have started to take root. Absolutely staggering.

Roy Hodgson has picked his squad for next weekend's friendlies with Holland And Germany;

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/england/story/2831367/england-call-up-leicester-citys-danny-drinkwater

The only surprise is Danny Drinkwater. Walcott is in as is Danny Rose.

As a side why are they playing international games over Easter Weekend? Easter in the USA is a non-event but I always used to enjoy the 4 day weekend at home.

Roy Hodgson has picked his squad for next weekend's friendlies with Holland And Germany;

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/england/story/2831367/england-call-up-leicester-citys-danny-drinkwater

The only surprise is Danny Drinkwater. Walcott is in as is Danny Rose.

As a side why are they playing international games over Easter Weekend? Easter in the USA is a non-event but I always used to enjoy the 4 day weekend at home.

Firstly there should be no international games over Easter, its a time of year a lot of clubs get decent attendances and ticket revenue.

Secondly, surely theres no point in picking Sturridge, the manager knows what he can do, and it seems ridiculous to call him up for a friendly when he's struggling to get fit.

I think they should play 4-4-2 and revel in the English style of play. All this stuff about pressing, etc, we basically invented it. Our game was built on intensity and forward who didn't let defenders settle, the FA seem almost ashamed of playing two banks of well organised well drilled players who attack down the wings at pace. It baffles me, its our greatest attribute yet we try and catch on to whoevers model is the choice of the day. Post France 98 the FA decided we had to follow the Clairefontaine model, then it was Spain and the possession model, then Germany. Each time we come to the party too late and are implementing a blueprint that has already reached its peak and is on the wane. I'd much rather see Vardy, Kane, Alli and Barkley charging round than some 3rd rate Barcelona impersonation. I will never forget the disgrace that was the display against Italy where Scott Parker stood 10 feet away from Pirlo all game. If that was in the premier league, he would have been swamped and most likely crunched in the first 5 minutes. Thats how we play, why change to a formula thats alien to our players?

Totally agree LR and have been saying this for years - may not necessarily be the 442 even though for me this is still the way to go in footy , just concentrate on what we are good at and let others worry about us

Hardly have time now for England and I used to follow them when I could and afford along with Rovers.

Get more enjoyment now from coaching the youngsters for the team I run and certainly don't follow any 'model' other than using the kids strengths and the 'good old' way of playing and enjoying it.

A little busy and different.

I can't get over Spain's, I know they've used modern art in the past for their team.

I looked at some other pictures of the 1986 England team, those light blue shorts were okay.

But I know, it's always more common to hear criticism of a new kit so have at it. The blue sleeves is a bit of a sport shirt design.

Archived