BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Ross Barkley (Everton) looked utter garbage in his last game, he can think himself very fortunate to be going.

You really don't like Everton JAL, do you? lol. Those pesky scousers eh?

(I actually agree with you on Barkley though, I would have taken Townsend before him)

Wilshire is a gamble. He's not fully fit and therefore more prone to an injury. I would have taken Drinkwater as back up and dropped Rashford.

Rashford is undoubtedly a prospect, but you have to do more than produce a few end of season performances to earn an England shirt.

I can only surmise That Woy see's Rooney as Midfield back up who will hopefully weigh in with a few goals.

Its a young squad, but hopefully they won't be shackled with tournament nerves.

Looking at the squad it vaguely reminds me of Arsenal. Lots of attacking quality but not much backbone. Not a single "proper" box to box central midfielder. Mostly repurposed attacking wingers/number 10s (Wilshire,Barkley,Milner,Alli,Henderson, Rooney etc) or one repurposed centre half (Dier).

However player for player it is an okay selection. You could swap a few people around but there are no glaring omissions. The two people you could argue are unlucky to go are Noble and Drinkwater for the midfield issues highlighted above.

Shearer's done a documentary about Euro 96, really enjoyed it but then again that team was probably the last England team I actually loved watching and felt some affinity with.

Should be on the BBC football site or iplayer if you want to watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07dpvcl/alan-shearers-euro-96-when-football-came-home

Then he sodded off to Newcastle. A truly sickening summer of football :(

It may have been a skewed documentary, but what is alarming is the emphasis on alcohol intake in the squad at that time.

If this had been a doc on Germany, you can bet it would be all about tactics, positions, mental and physical strengths.

No wonder they win tournaments and we don't!

Thought David Seaman came across as a decent bloke though. Just shows what a ponytail can do to give a terrible impression of a man.

Ince showed himself up too. Just like he did in his first press conference at Rovers. Shallow and not really that arsed.

Interesting team. Probably Woy's first choice apart from Milner who he might prefer Henderson or Wilshire to if fit.

--------------------Hart:

Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Rose;

--------------------Dier,

-----------Milner------ Alli:

-----------------Rooney,

--------------Vardy, Kane

Two ultra attacking full backs, three strikers and a very attacking mid in Alli. It's probably the most attacking team I've ever seen England play.

Well if you can't defend you may as well attack - decent line up

It is all out attack.

Vardy is looking lost though. I'd have Sturridge playing on the left side of the 3. He's left footed and played there when Suarez was at Liverpool.

Bruno Alves just sent off for nearly decapitating Kane.

Rooney slows the game too much for my liking, he's done at international level. Not knocking what he's achieved etc, but this side needs mobility between the lines.

Sterling flatters to deceive, I'd put Wilshere in for Milner or push Alli where Rooney is.

Vardy and Kane need to be up top not pulled out wide

If thats the best we have to offer then we'll not get out of the group.

A complete lack of creativity against a bang average 10 man Portugal, it was painful to watch.

No plan B when they lost a player, just carry on with plan A.

You really don't like Everton JAL, do you? lol. Those pesky scousers eh?

(I actually agree with you on Barkley though, I would have taken Townsend before him)

Mentioned his club because they did nothing last season, he did nothing of any note which also resulted in their manager being potted, yet, here he is going to the Euros especially after doing nothing in a select friendly.

Just hope he can raise his game dramatically during this tournament.

Mentioned his club because they did nothing last season, he did nothing of any note which also resulted in their manager being potted, yet, here he is going to the Euros especially after doing nothing in a select friendly.

Just hope he can raise his game dramatically during this tournament.

There was no particular necessity for you to put Everton in brackets after his name, we all know who he plays for JAL. There are one or two United and Chelsea players in the squad and their clubs also had average/poor seasons. In fact the guy who I would have preferred was relegated with Newcastle (Townsend). Again, I'm not disagreeing with you on the player but which club he plays for should be irrelevant.

Roy's been blessed with a promising crop of youngsters, this tournament can be a free hit- all prep for when they are more experienced- i.e. World Cup.

He continues to build a team around Rooney and that's him done.

Play Alli off Kane and then take it from there. If you can't fit Vardy in properly then don't play him. Don't play Rooney regardless.

Dier with one of Milner, Henderson and Wilshere sitting, then Sterling and Lallana on the wing. Everyone in their correct positions, but most importantly, the two best attacking players where they are most dangerous.

Archived