BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little busy and different.

I can't get over Spain's, I know they've used modern art in the past for their team.

I looked at some other pictures of the 1986 England team, those light blue shorts were okay.

But I know, it's always more common to hear criticism of a new kit so have at it. The blue sleeves is a bit of a sport shirt design.

Looks like a kids baseball team shirt

The last time I remember England having pale blue as part of their ensemble...

10.jpg

Bloody Shilton. Maradonna is 2ft off the floor, whilst Shilton's is still planted on it

Schumacher would have gone for his head first with the punch.

• 1 month later...

Getting closer now so I'll resurrect this thread as it's not specific to the England squad thread currently running.

Who are people's favourites to win, I was planning a flutter myself but can't quite decide although I may go with France.

All the BBC regional English channels will be showing all of England's games, BBC Wales will be showing all of the Welsh games, BBC Northern Ireland will be showing all of the Northern Ireland games and BBC Scotland will be showing repeats of home alone.

Out of interest is anyone off here going to any of it? Couple of us going to Marseille for England v Russia (with a ticket) and then 4 of us going to lens for England v Wales although staying in Lille (without a ticket).

A bloke at work went to watch England vs Tunisia in 1998 last time England were in Marseille. He said Marseille is the pits, generally known for being the arsehole of France. There was solid rioting from arriving to leaving. Football moved on a bit but still I pretty much just want to watch a game of football without bottles and chairs flying past my head. He sent me a flavour of what "to expect":

Not exactly a newbie when it comes to watching England abroad having been to Portugal 2004, Germany 2006, plus a few random away days in places like Spain, Holland, Wales but that does seem a depart from what I've seen before.

With the amount of British teams my mate is already dubbing it the 2016 European chair and table throwing championships.

Off to Marseille for the Russia game over the weekend. Group of 5 of us, 3 coming home on the Monday and two carrying on around France watching any game where tickets cost less than £50.

If anybody has any spares closer to the time, I'm sure the two would buy them.

Out of interest is anyone off here going to any of it? Couple of us going to Marseille for England v Russia (with a ticket) and then 4 of us going to lens for England v Wales although staying in Lille (without a ticket).

A bloke at work went to watch England vs Tunisia in 1998 last time England were in Marseille. He said Marseille is the pits, generally known for being the arsehole of France. There was solid rioting from arriving to leaving. Football moved on a bit but still I pretty much just want to watch a game of football without bottles and chairs flying past my head. He sent me a flavour of what "to expect"

Not exactly a newbie when it comes to watching England abroad having been to Portugal 2004, Germany 2006, plus a few random away days in places like Spain, Holland, Wales but that does seem a depart from what I've seen before.

With the amount of British teams my mate is already dubbing it the 2016 European chair and table throwing championships.

I was in Marseilles for the Tunisia game, I'm actually in the clip you posted, not causing trouble by the way, great place to enjoy the sun and have a few beers.

It was all going really well, Melinda Messenger riding around the port area on a London bus sponsored by The Sun, plenty of beer and a really good atmosphere, then some idiots decided it was a good idea to burn a Tunisian flag and the local North African community came out to play and the rest is history.

The big screen wasn't far from the ground, I was down there before the game but had a ticket so left before it kicked off. The locals got into the seats early and the English stood on the grass, as soon as Scholes scored the locals ripped up the seats and started throwing them at the English who returned the compliment and chased them out of the area. The reason I'm telling this story is due to the English lad with the 'battle drum' and Mohican, he never flinched as chairs, coins, bricks and bottles flew past his head he just carried on playing the drum as the English fans charged the locals :tu:

It was the norm back then, riots, police, fighting the locals, but thankfully I believe following England is a much more pleasant experience these days and anyone going will have a great time.

A group of 8 or so of us are going. Driving down in a minibus, first stop Marseille for the England v Russia match.

Then based in Bordeaux / Toulouse for the most part.

Got England v Slovakia too.

Total of 12 matches all the way to the final.

We'll have our Rovers st George flag out, hopefully something to cheer for after this season!!

Any rovers fancy a beer out there or even want tickets for any games we have lots of spares that we'd sell at face value.

I was in Marseilles for the Tunisia game, I'm actually in the clip you posted, not causing trouble by the way, great place to enjoy the sun and have a few beers.

It was all going really well, Melinda Messenger riding around the port area on a London bus sponsored by The Sun, plenty of beer and a really good atmosphere, then some idiots decided it was a good idea to burn a Tunisian flag and the local North African community came out to play and the rest is history.

The big screen wasn't far from the ground, I was down there before the game but had a ticket so left before it kicked off. The locals got into the seats early and the English stood on the grass, as soon as Scholes scored the locals ripped up the seats and started throwing them at the English who returned the compliment and chased them out of the area. The reason I'm telling this story is due to the English lad with the 'battle drum' and Mohican, he never flinched as chairs, coins, bricks and bottles flew past his head he just carried on playing the drum as the English fans charged the locals :tu:

It was the norm back then, riots, police, fighting the locals, but thankfully I believe following England is a much more pleasant experience these days and anyone going will have a great time.

The thing is Gav

What doesn't/didnt get reported is the other 'side' that also incites contribute ie parts of the 'African community' riding around ' on their scooters with bike chains with blades.

Its always aimed at the drinkers /fans as the cause yet on the ground - not saying the English or other country fans are not without blame but it doesn't all lay in what the media news report

'Pleasant experience these days' - depends what experience you are referring to - although didn't get to a lot of games, always found following England a great experience when I got the chance (especially before Rovers encountered Europe)

Must admit that once you start burning the flags it's only going to go one way.

It was some of the worst trouble I've witnessed watching England away, but as you say the locals were looking for it and talk of using swords, knives and bike chains are spot on.

As for watching England today, I mean it seems relatively trouble free, which is a good thing.

Must admit that once you start burning the flags it's only going to go one way.

It was some of the worst trouble I've witnessed watching England away, but as you say the locals were looking for it and talk of using swords, knives and bike chains are spot on.

As for watching England today, I mean it seems relatively trouble free, which is a good thing.

Indeed -certainly much safer in football respect not so sure society wise

Not really interested in international football now - just tend to put a casting glance to England nowadays -although when the EUROS & WC come around the buss tends to start to surface again

Euro 2000 seemed to be that hoolies last stand.

I was in Germany for the 2006 World Cup, massive followings for England and no trouble.

Stuttgart aside

2 of my mates came back for my wedding ( I was supposed to be out there also and they weren't best pleased when realised game clashed but left it up to them ) - had tickets for the Portugal game but flew back that morning

The Germans (and the Italians for that matter) always turn up once it's tournament time. Spain will be bullied I reckon.

Belgium won't click and France will motor along until the semi's.

England to start well, everyone will believe the hype and we'll bow out with a whimper as per...

Archived