BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

The problem is the lack of pubs in the town centre. You will find a couple but might be better if heading for somewhere out of town or going to Darwen. I'm not sure if Accy is all that any more either.

Supermarket prices haven't just made pubs quieter, they've closed them down.

Together with the blanket non smoking laws and the greedy breweries increasing the rents to an uneconomic level.

To me there could be smoking and non smoking rooms in pubs thereby giving a choice. It's more about being controlling by the non smoking lobby than health. Most places are even banning electronic cigarettes and there is no evidence whatsoever that they are detrimental to health. It's all about controlling people. If I don't do it I'm going to make damned sure that you don't enjoy it either is the attitude. By the way I don't smoke or vap.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be coming back to England for a few weeks in June.

It will be the first time since Euro 2000 that I'll have been in Blackburn during a major International Football tournament. Do people still go out to the pubs to watch England games or is Blackburn centre completely dead these days?

I'm struggling to remember the last time I went out to the pub to watch a game.

It's probably over 10 years ago.

Do people still do it?

Watching last year's Champions League final in NYC was interesting. Caos and distraction while watching the football took concentration away from the screen (and possibly the 9 frozen margaritas).

Together with the blanket non smoking laws and the greedy breweries increasing the rents to an uneconomic level.

Amen to that, friend of mine is on the "save the Napier" commitee and some of the crap that's come from thwaites is unreal. It's almost as if they don't want to sell beer!

Went to Scotland v Italy last night- a pleasant walk down to the Ta'Qali Stadium here in Malta.

The Scottish left back (Phillips?) looked the best player on the pitch. Dimmunitive but a touch of the Alan Wright/Graeme Le Saux about him. The Scottish sub who replaced him was even smaller and couldn't have been more than 12 years old. Scotland were utterly clueless on the rare occasions they reached the final third of the pitch- Malta will fancy their chances against them in the World Cup qualifier in October.

Hanley was solid, distribution immaculate if dull.

Italy are big, technically solid and boring. They are not going to terrify anyone and a better team than Scotland would have punished the three defensive mistakes they made during the game. As it was, Pele scored the only goal.

There was a brilliant Paddy Power advert on at half time in the Champions League tonight, not sure if it would have been shown down south but it certainly was in Scotland. It was broadly based on Braveheart and the fundamental premise was that it encouraged the Scots to bet on whoever England were playing against in Euro 2016 (might even have been offering bonuses on it actually). I tried to find it on YouTube without success but even as an Englishman I found it hilarious.

it was on in england too. I saw it

• Moderation Lead

Marco Reus has been left out of Germany's squad for the Euros (on his birthday too!). It would be nice if we had a player that good to pick in the first place!

So drinkwater, Townsend and delph out of 26. Frankly I'd have also left out Wilshire and Henderson. In fact if only took players I think are good enough would prob leave with a squad of 10.

Funny business picking England squad. Mark noble not in 26 so there's outrage (only really from cockneys) "Odgsons lost the facking plot, mayte". But if he had have been included there would have been gasps of Mark bloody noble are you kidding me English football come to this. Can't really win

Criminal that Wilshire is going but both Drinkwater and Noble aren't involved. 5 strikers plus Sterling is too many, even 4 strikers + Sterling is one too many (assuming Rooney is playing central midfield).

For reference, I would have gone:

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier

Rooney Drinkwater

Alli

Vardy Kane

Forster, Walker, Stones, Noble, Lallana, Milner, Rashford.

In a 4-1-2-1-2.

• Backroom

Disgraceful from Woy, but that's what he is. I've said from the beginning we won't progress or win anything with him in charge. Far too cowardly.

Hopefully the next manager has some guts.

Criminal that Wilshire is going but both Drinkwater and Noble aren't involved. 5 strikers plus Sterling is too many, even 4 strikers + Sterling is one too many (assuming Rooney is playing central midfield).

For reference, I would have gone:

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier

Rooney Drinkwater

Alli

Vardy Kane

Forster, Walker, Stones, Noble, Lallana, Milner, Rashford.

In a 4-1-2-1-2.

Hodgson, like most coaches, would rather pick players he is familiar with hence some of the picks. For me, Drinkwater and Noble aren't good enough.

I had a look at the World Cup squad from 2 years ago. There are 11 changes from that one to this one;

Clyne/Kyle Walker for Glen Johnson

Clyne/Kyle Walker for Welbeck

Bertrand/Rose for Baines

Bertrand/Rose for Luke Shaw

Stones for Jagielka

Alli for Gerrard

Tom Heaton for Ben Foster

Rashford for Rickie Lambert

Kane for Lampard

Vardy for Oxlade-Chamberlain

Dier for Phil Jones

Hart, Cahill, Smalling, Wilshere, Rooney, Sturridge, Lallana, Sterling, Barkley, Henderson, Milner, Forster stay.

Of the changes, I reckon that 4 of the 11 left out would have had a chance to make it. The rest are past it or retired. Shaw and Welbeck would have been definites if fit ahead of 2 full backs. Phil Jones and Oxlade-Chamberlain were easier to leave out as they've both regressed, and ready replacements are available. Such a shame for Jones as he should have been England captain, or close to it by now if he'd have stayed at Rovers for 1 more year (well maybe not Kean was the manager) then gone to Liverpool not Man U.

Here is my 11;

Hart

Clyne Smalling Stones Bertrand

Dier

Rooney Wilshere

Alli

Kane Sturridge

I think Woy will play Cahill ahead of Stones and maybe Henderson or Milner ahead of Dier.

Good luck to Rovers fans going out to France. Lens is small and boring, Lille is the best nearby place.

I wonder if Bumley fans will brown nose the Cardiff lads this time (don't think so). What they did in Brussels was a disgrace. Stick together Rovers fans and the 70's throwbacks will leave you alone.

Think Drinkwater is very unlucky not to be going, I'd have taken him instead of either Rashford or Sturridge. No problem with Rashford going per se but I'll wager he ends up being a waste of a squad place and an unused sub like when Sven took Walcott and never used him years ago. You can bet your bottom dollar that if Drinkwater played for Man Ure and Rashford for Leicester Drinkwater would be the one on the plane. Woy seems to be impressed by players playing for a "big" Club.

Can't see that Wilshere has done anything to earn a spot either. Hodgosaurus is also too loyal to players he perceives haven't let him down in the past, but who in reality haven't done much.

It's always been the case, Rev.

Drinkwater was being singled out for criticism in the warm up match last Friday. He doesn't fit the mould unfortunately.

Sadly, successive England managers have given in to the press and marketing people, picking personalities, at the expense of round pegs in round holes.

The best TEAMS win tournaments and we never learn. The FA are too interested in sponsorship deals than football, except the party line is 'to give tournament experience to young players'. Which other nations do that? Losers.

Think Drinkwater is very unlucky not to be going, I'd have taken him instead of either Rashford or Sturridge. No problem with Rashford going per se but I'll wager he ends up being a waste of a squad place and an unused sub like when Sven took Walcott and never used him years ago. You can bet your bottom dollar that if Drinkwater played for Man Ure and Rashford for Leicester Drinkwater would be the one on the plane. Woy seems to be impressed by players playing for a "big" Club.

Can't see that Wilshere has done anything to earn a spot either. Hodgosaurus is also too loyal to players he perceives haven't let him down in the past, but who in reality haven't done much.

Yeah there's always been a big club bias. Currently I think shawcross suffers from this and if played for pretty much anyone bigger than Stoke he'd be in. In the 90s sherwood was more than worthy of an England cap but he only got one when he went to Spurs.

On paper rashford is an exciting prospect but he is most definitely a definitely wild card. Take his goal away from Australia game I thought his all round contribution was pretty ordinary. He kept running into cul de sacs Milan Baros style. So let's hope he turns out to be like the Owen wild card of 98 rather than the Walcott of 06.

I've no real problem with the squad. There is always some players who don't get a game and I would rather overload it with attackers than midfielders and defenders.

Previous England managers got stick for leaving out Jansen and Le Tissier (who had just scored a hat-trick in an England B international justifying Chris Suttons standpoint.) Those players were left out for for a fifth centre half who never got on. When we desperately need a goal I'd rather have as many options as possible.

• Backroom

You've answered your own question in the paragraph above. He plays for Arsenal, that's why he's going. Never mind the fact he makes Vince Grella look fit.

Roy has always played it safe. It's defined his career, and why he's always failed at bigger clubs, us included. The sooner we move on from him the better, although the FA are just as bad and will likely appoint another dreary candidate to lead us into further mediocrity.

It's always been the case, Rev.

Drinkwater was being singled out for criticism in the warm up match last Friday. He doesn't fit the mould unfortunately.

Sadly, successive England managers have given in to the press and marketing people, picking personalities, at the expense of round pegs in round holes.

The best TEAMS win tournaments and we never learn. The FA are too interested in sponsorship deals than football, except the party line is 'to give tournament experience to young players'. Which other nations do that? Losers.

I have to disagree.

Hodgson wants to have his best team. Therefore he's picked players who know he knows well, helping him build a team who understand each other better. The longer you play with someone the easier it gets as you learn their little habits.

I fail to see how Drinkwater deserves a spot. Wilshere is a class above him. He had a good season, but he's not as good as any of the other midfielders named; ones who Hodgson knows, and who've been around each other in England squads previously.

I have to disagree.

Hodgson wants to have his best team. Therefore he's picked players who know he knows well, helping him build a team who understand each other better. The longer you play with someone the easier it gets as you learn their little habits.

I fail to see how Drinkwater deserves a spot. Wilshere is a class above him. He had a good season, but he's not as good as any of the other midfielders named; ones who Hodgson knows, and who've been around each other in England squads previously.

Wilshire and Rashford should not be there IMO.

How can you play one game in a season and be picked for your country?

Similarly, Rashford has been called up after a cameo for United and for 'experience'.

We should be picking the best team to win this tournament.

Sturridge is a match winner, drinkwater isn't international quality

Marco Reus has been left out of Germany's squad for the Euros (on his birthday too!). It would be nice if we had a player that good to pick in the first place!

Reus is injured, you are comparing us to the best team in the world when the rest of the teams in the tournament are the same level as us, anyways we have Ali is potentially better than reus.

By the way for those of you who constantly criticize England, if you dont want to watch them then don't, I thought it might be a nice get away from what's going on at rovers but never mind

Wilshire and Rashford should not be there IMO.

How can you play one game in a season and be picked for your country?

Similarly, Rashford has been called up after a cameo for United and for 'experience'.

We should be picking the best team to win this tournament.

Because you are finally fit. Wilshere is perfect for international football. He's tidy and knows when to play it. Drinkwater is a hard worker who nobody had heard of 12 months ago. He's not suddenly turned into Xavi. He is another fairytale from Leicester's season. Milner, Henderson and Dier all do what Drinkwater does but better, and have been to previous tournaments.

I agree on Rashford. As I've said over and over on here I'd have taken Andy Carroll.

Archived