BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely common sense will see that game moved to a night match!

It won't be moved. Problem is there's 3 games a day most days so for eg on that day it's us vs Wales 2pm, Ukraine vs Northern Ireland at 5 then Germany Poland in the evening. Just luck of the draw (or lack of luck). As with domestic football TV schedule wins all day long what's best for the fans even players isn't considered.

Real quick, I'll look at the groups: http://uk.soccerway.com/international/europe/european-championships/2016-france/group-stage/r31060/ Some 3rd place teams make it. It could help competitiveness though adding more matches because in the last 2 Euros, there have been some "weaker" teams so to speak but the new format (I mean the weak teams may have competitive matches), but it may well not help the quality.

Group A: France, Switzerland to advance.

Group B: England, Slovakia, hard group to me, Wales and Slovakia are a toss up and one can't count Russia out.

Group C: Germany, Poland

Group D: Spain, Croatia ... this group has another Croatia/Turkey match up so, a few fairly equal teams after Spain.

Group E: Belgium, Italy

Group F: Portugal Iceland

Then, 2 or 3 of the 3rd place teams also advance.

The old Euros have been as tight as can be really, playing quality, a lot of great matches. So we will see.

• 2 months later...

That's certainly different!

However as long as Vardy and Kane both start up front I'm not that bothered what we wear.

Yes- team for me at the moment.

--------------Hart

Clyne---Cahill---Stones--Gibbs

--------------Dier

---------Alli-----Henderson

--------------Rooney

---------Vardy-----Kane

We've got a great selection of strikers - everything. Pace, power, skill, goals. However the rest of the squad is very very average. Defence is particularly shocking, at least in midfield Alli looks the real deal.

--------------Hart

--------------Dier

--------------Rooney

---------Vardy-----Kane

We've got a great selection of strikers - everything. Pace, power, skill, goals. However the rest of the squad is very very average. Defence is particularly shocking, at least in midfield Alli looks the real deal.

Same for me too, although probably with Milner ahead of Henderson. Welbeck makes a good understudy for either front two as well.

Not sure why Danny Rose never gets a chance at left back. He'd be my first choice but it's probably too late for him to break into the squad now

--------------Hart

--------------Dier

--------------Rooney

---------Vardy-----Kane

Can't agree entirely, we have 3 top keepers in form, a very talented midfield and some decent fullbacks, central defence isn't great but as long as stones plays maybe alongside Cahill then we should be ok

• Moderation Lead

Wilshere hasn't played all season so I'd say it's unlikely he'll play any part, even if he does come back before the end. I think the internationals next week will give us a good idea of how we'll line up in France. I'd sooner have some width, pack the midfield and have Kane up top solo with Vardy as an impact sub than going 2 up top personally.

I'd go for something like this...

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Bertrand

Henderson

Sterling Alli Barkley Lallana

Kane

I think Vardy has to start for me just due to his sheer pace and work ethic of not allowing teams to play out from the front. If he doesn't perform in the first game then fair enough drop him but surely must start.

I think Vardy has to start for me just due to his sheer pace and work ethic of not allowing teams to play out from the front. If he doesn't perform in the first game then fair enough drop him but surely must start.

Depends on the rest of the team though. If we're only going with one up front then Harry Kane has to be ahead of Vardy.

He's only scored in three of the last 14 games. Unless he can rediscover his scoring touch, there is a pretty good argument to be made for having him as an impact sub against tired legs.

Archived