BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're due into Marseille about midday tomorrow. Crept up on me a bit this one was just treating it as a routine away day rather than a holiday but now very much looking forward to it. Plus anythings better than going to work of course. I'm sure the French will find a way of curtailing folks enjoyment drinking bans, strikes, over zealous gendarmes and the locals spring to mind plus the mrs is convinced Isis are specifically targeting wherever I am but will defo make the most of it.

Just heard on sky sports that England fans had been drinking in the Old Port area all day, at around midnight 70 locals turn up to have a pop at them, they retaliate of course as you have to defend yourself and its all over the press that 'England fans cause carnage in Marseilles' 2 arrests!! don't you just love the press :angry2:

Same script at France 98 this, but probably thousands more England fan in Marseilles in 98 I'd suspect, and hundreds more nutters than you'll see today.

Lets hope this isn't the shape of things to come, I doubt it will be, but we could see more trouble in Marseilles due to the large North African population.

• Backroom

I really enjoyed reading that! I have a soft spot for Iceland after meeting several natives at Uni. Making my first trip over there mid-July and really looking forward to it :D

Just heard on sky sports that England fans had been drinking in the Old Port area all day, at around midnight 70 locals turn up to have a pop at them, they retaliate of course as you have to defend yourself and its all over the press that 'England fans cause carnage in Marseilles' 2 arrests!!

FA statement

Matt, you've been instructed to be respectful and enjoy the Russia match, so do as your told or else. But honestly, watch out. Marseille is a bit of a cauldron for racial tension.

Sky report suggest that the Marseille ultras started it but I've got no doubts that some sections of our fans will have been up for a scuffle after a few tinnies, Gav.

• Moderation Lead

Just heard on sky sports that England fans had been drinking in the Old Port area all day, at around midnight 70 locals turn up to have a pop at them, they retaliate of course as you have to defend yourself and its all over the press that 'England fans cause carnage in Marseilles' 2 arrests!! don't you just love the press :angry2:

Same script at France 98 this, but probably thousands more England fan in Marseilles in 98 I'd suspect, and hundreds more nutters than you'll see today.

Lets hope this isn't the shape of things to come, I doubt it will be, but we could see more trouble in Marseilles due to the large North African population.

Yep, exactly as I heard it Gav. Some locals came down seeking bother, provoked England fans, then it boots off.

Gets reported as 'trouble with England fans in Marseille' :rolleyes:

As we know , always the same Gav

Just wait until the mopeds start

It's a bit late to create our own league but in case anyone wants too make predictions, you can join a big general league of fans and make predictions at this website:

https://www.predictthefootball.com Make picks up to match time, find the Euro.

Many thanks again to those on this forum who made the commitment in time and effort for that World Cup prediction league 2 summers ago.

God the media in this country love getting stuck into England fans don't they? Our behaviour has, for a number of years now, been amongst the best in Europe. But a gang of local Marseille thugs turn up at a pub, targetting England fans, and begin to attack them. And the media do their best to portray it as six of one and half a dozen of the other. Really gets on my nerves. Why don't they just say a bunch of French delinquents assaulted England fans and give people an honest viewpoint of what happened (and will probably continue to happen throughout the tournament).

England fans are a soft target for European police who will excessive force at the first sign of rowdy behaviour. Fans of other nations know this and are all but immune from criticism. Then there's our media who know that this kind of story sells papers.

The actual arrest and injuries reported are usually very few and very minor.

At 2012, Euro Ukraine Poland, don't forget, Russian supporters got into it with some Poles in a Euro that did not see much of this kind of trouble. The Russians are fairly unbridled in this and of course, Eastern Europe is presently known for some of this hooliganism though maybe it has died down. Speaking of Russia, in recent tournaments, they seem to go out in the first round, so we'll see.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36504410

BBC 5 Live sports presenter George Riley said a group of England fans had appeared to be goading either the police or locals in the area.

He said the group appeared "quite menacing", which prompted the 5 live team to leave.

I've seen nothing of this.

Archived