BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough And Bolton Game

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit pretentious imo.

Bit posh maybe, but pretentious? not in my experience.

Bottom line is the waiters call you 'sir' and not 'mate' the food is exceptional, or was last time I went, and the setting is great.

A real credit to the town I'd say.

• Backroom

Bit posh maybe, but pretentious? not in my experience.

Bottom line is the waiters call you 'sir' and not 'mate' the food is exceptional, or was last time I went, and the setting is great.

A real credit to the town I'd say.

I'll grant you that actually, poor choice of wording. Nonetheless not my bag tbh.

Hidden gem The Astley Bank, even the locals don't know about it!

Spot on there GAV. Our lad had his wedding reception at Astley Bank. Lovely setting and a great venue.

I've been countless times over the years, never had a bad experience.

Another bonus would be the Spinners pub on the main road facing the driveway to Astley Bank. Used to be one of the pick ups for the special buses running down to Ewood. Said van could be left at Astley Bank and multiple beers could be had!

• Moderation Lead

The Ribble Valley would be great for a family break.

Fantastic scenery.

Excellent restaurants and pubs.

Christmas market in the castle grounds this year for the first time.

The Old Post House, Swan & Royal and Rose & Crown hotels in Clitheroe are all near the station.

The rail line goes to Manchester via Blackburn and Bolton - check Boxing Day though.

Manchester is good for day trips but I wouldn't want to stay there with the family.

Blackburn would be a Christmas from hell.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/13847235.HO_HO_NO__Plans_to_host_Christmas_market_in_Clitheroe_REFUSED/- sadly not :(

But yeah, other than that the Ribble Valley would be sound!

• 1 month later...

Id second the Ribble Valley and recommend Mytton Fold Hotel in Langho. Great scenery and attractions. 20 mins from B'Burn in the van, or if your planning to have a few pre match pints Handy for transport into B'Brun (Check Timetables) failing that I'm sure you could arrange a lift with some fellow Rovers.

There is also a theme park the other side of Pendle Hill called Burnley where you can experience life in 18th Century Yorkshire. Its Very realistic. Banksy did something similar with his Dismaland attraction.

Anyway, good on ya for your dedication to the cause.

Avoid Blackburn altogether.

That's twice you've now slagged the town off MCMC? Do you live in the town? I'm wondering why you seem to hate it so much?

The new cathedral quarter is a credit to the town, looks really really well.

Corporation Park also looks stunning today, especially in the sun, just had a wonder through, lovely.

The town centre is busy, had a coffee in the BrewRoom and on to Darwen later for a wonder in Sunnyhurst or BoldVenture Parks, maybe a curry after.

Blackburn may not be the best place in the world, but it's certainly not the worse and has some gems if you open your eyes to the fact.

Just as a side issue I think Clitheroe is over rated, yes it's got a castle, but the pubs are cr@p and the restaurants in the centre are poor, Maxwells aside. I also love Byrnes wine shop, but the rest you can keep for me.

Blackburn is fine in the daytime, however I beleive Spalding was talking about a night out earlier in the thread, then he has to avoid I'm afraid, all the locals are out in Darwen.

He does mention things to do during the day also, but I couldn't agree more about a night out, no arguments from me on that one, Darwens the place to be locally.

That's twice you've now slagged the town off MCMC? Do you live in the town? I'm wondering why you seem to hate it so much?

The new cathedral quarter is a credit to the town, looks really really well.

Corporation Park also looks stunning today, especially in the sun, just had a wonder through, lovely.

The town centre is busy, had a coffee in the BrewRoom and on to Darwen later for a wonder in Sunnyhurst or BoldVenture Parks, maybe a curry after.

Blackburn may not be the best place in the world, but it's certainly not the worse and has some gems if you open your eyes to the fact.

Just as a side issue I think Clitheroe is over rated, yes it's got a castle, but the pubs are cr@p and the restaurants in the centre are poor, Maxwells aside. I also love Byrnes wine shop, but the rest you can keep for me.

Hi Gav, What did you wonder about on your wander ?

Just ordered both sets of tickets, i was asking whats best place to stay, and really to do on the day in-between, but I'm pretty sure we will be going shopping on the day in-between in manchester to keep her sweet!! (was trying to go liverpool to do beatles tour she's already done it :angry2: ) is there any really good restaurants in and around blackburn? we try to find places that are like BBQ and grills, anyone recommend any good places? we don't really drink so night out isn't on the cards just good restaurants!

• Moderation Lead

Just ordered both sets of tickets, i was asking whats best place to stay, and really to do on the day in-between, but I'm pretty sure we will be going shopping on the day in-between in manchester to keep her sweet!! (was trying to go liverpool to do beatles tour she's already done it :angry2: ) is there any really good restaurants in and around blackburn? we try to find places that are like BBQ and grills, anyone recommend any good places? we don't really drink so night out isn't on the cards just good restaurants!

Get yourself to Papa's in Darwen mate, good burger place. There's a new smokehouse in Darwen as well but I haven't been yet. As for bbq, trying to think of somewhere, but nowhere springs to mind!

Get yourself to Papa's in Darwen mate, good burger place. There's a new smokehouse in Darwen as well but I haven't been yet. As for bbq, trying to think of somewhere, but nowhere springs to mind!

thanks for that mate just googled both of them, i think they have both filled our nights they look great!

Smokies in Darwen is by all accounts top class. It's on my to do list in the next few weeks.

There are some really decent restaurants in Darwen these days. Good variety.

Rumour has it every time you walk into Darwen Sainsbury's one of your dreams or ambitions is crushed.

Haven't been in Blackburn in yonks, but from being in Darwen 5 days a week i'm pretty sure 50% of the population are smack heads. Saw somebody fall into the road last Thursday smashed at about 8:50AM, wearing a 'Straight Outta Darwen' black hoodie.

Papas is dirty food, but good. Not done the smoke house. Best bit about Darwen is the italian deli near the market.

Archived