BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough And Bolton Game

Rumour has it every time you walk into Darwen Sainsbury's one of your dreams or ambitions is crushed.

Haven't been in Blackburn in yonks, but from being in Darwen 5 days a week i'm pretty sure 50% of the population are smack heads. Saw somebody fall into the road last Thursday smashed at about 8:50AM, wearing a 'Straight Outta Darwen' black hoodie.

Papas is dirty food, but good. Not done the smoke house. Best bit about Darwen is the italian deli near the market.

I don't know what a 'smackhead' looks like but I have lived in Darwen for over 50 years and I don't believe that any issues or problems are better or worse than anywhere else in the country. Your post smacks of ignorance, there are plenty of really nice places and lots of nice, friendly people which I don't think you are aware of.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what a 'smackhead' looks like but I have lived in Darwen for over 50 years and I don't believe that any issues or problems are better or worse than anywhere else in the country. Your post smacks of ignorance, there are plenty of really nice places and lots of nice, friendly people which I don't think you are aware of.

Darwens a great place, vibrant, full of great folk, innovative and really trying to puts its mark on the map. To suggest it's full of 'smackheads' is just bunkum and ignorant.

As a side note I've just had pie peas and gravy on Bburn market, accompanied by the worse cup of coffee I've ever tasted, you can't have everything I guess.

Stop at the Fernhurst then easy to get to Ewood and then you can get into Darwen easy enough for the now booming nightlife and all the places to eat. Darwen now, apart form Clitheroe, has the best local nightlife by a country mile

Rumour has it every time you walk into Darwen Sainsbury's one of your dreams or ambitions is crushed.

Haven't been in Blackburn in yonks, but from being in Darwen 5 days a week i'm pretty sure 50% of the population are smack heads. Saw somebody fall into the road last Thursday smashed at about 8:50AM, wearing a 'Straight Outta Darwen' black hoodie.

Papas is dirty food, but good. Not done the smoke house. Best bit about Darwen is the italian deli near the market.

Well them rumours are just that rumours. Never have I heard such nonsense. If 50% are apparently smack heads then you are calling some of my family smack heads and I wont stand for that. Do you know 50% of Darwen, no do you @#/?. So I would pipe down. The best bit about Darwen would be for you not to be anywhere near it

Darwens a great place, vibrant, full of great folk, innovative and really trying to puts its mark on the map. To suggest it's full of 'smackheads' is just bunkum and ignorant.

As a side note I've just had pie peas and gravy on Bburn market, accompanied by the worse cup of coffee I've ever tasted, you can't have everything I guess.

Nobody suggested "its full of smackheads" - that would be bunkum and ignorant.

Stop at the Fernhurst then easy to get to Ewood and then you can get into Darwen easy enough for the now booming nightlife and all the places to eat. Darwen now, apart form Clitheroe, has the best local nightlife by a country mile

Well them rumours are just that rumours. Never have I heard such nonsense. If 50% are apparently smack heads then you are calling some of my family smack heads and I wont stand for that. Do you know 50% of Darwen, no do you @#/?. So I would pipe down. The best bit about Darwen would be for you not to be anywhere near it

Darwen's a better night out than Clitheroe, lots of violence in Clitheroe with its housing expansion. Darwen is far friendlier.

RE: 50% of people / Your family are smack heads, thats absurd and couldn't be any further away from the simplicity which is how percentages work. Darwen has a population of just over 30,000, even if my 50% claim wasn't tongue in cheek that still leaves 15,000 people.

I still maintain that Darwen has a problem/massive amount of drugs and drunks, you can disagree - thats the definition of a forum, somewhere where ideas and views are exchanged - but I often see people wandering about completely off their heads. I would however suggest you may wish to reaffirm to yourself how percentages work and perhaps not let ideas and views which you don't agree with offend you so much.

• Backroom

Friends of my parents have moved back to Darwen from Clitheroe fairly recently. Downsizing but also because 'people in Darwen are actually friendly'.

Darwen is a great little town and deserves more credit. Should change it to Darwen with Blackburn tbh.

Just ordered both sets of tickets, i was asking whats best place to stay, and really to do on the day in-between, but I'm pretty sure we will be going shopping on the day in-between in manchester to keep her sweet!! (was trying to go liverpool to do beatles tour she's already done it :angry2: ) is there any really good restaurants in and around blackburn? we try to find places that are like BBQ and grills, anyone recommend any good places? we don't really drink so night out isn't on the cards just good restaurants!

you could always try the carribean restaraunt at eanam wharf , i ve been a few times cant fault it

I don't know what a 'smackhead' looks like but I have lived in Darwen for over 50 years and I don't believe that any issues or problems are better or worse than anywhere else in the country. Your post smacks of ignorance, there are plenty of really nice places and lots of nice, friendly people which I don't think you are aware

http://media.tumblr.com/703263bb73ec2ce88ac77082520b4422/tumblr_inline_mwb46hpKwW1srpoi8.jpg

you could always try the carribean restaraunt at eanam wharf , i ve been a few times cant fault it

Now that is a crap restaurant. Went with the wife and we thought it was abysmal. The strips and wings are just ones that you would get from Iceland, garbage. I don't like places where me and the wife say that we could have easily made better food ourselves. Same goes for papas in Darwen, rubbish, they get their food from the takeaway next door which isn't brilliant.

Smokies, La Salsa, Ocean Palace and Anaz are the best restaurants in Darwen, in fact best restaurants in Blackburn and Darwen. Mangiamos isn't too bad either in Darwen.

RE: 50% of people / Your family are smack heads, thats absurd and couldn't be any further away from the simplicity which is how percentages work. Darwen has a population of just over 30,000, even if my 50% claim wasn't tongue in cheek that still leaves 15,000 people.

I still maintain that Darwen has a problem/massive amount of drugs and drunks, you can disagree - thats the definition of a forum, somewhere where ideas and views are exchanged - but I often see people wandering about completely off their heads. I would however suggest you may wish to reaffirm to yourself how percentages work and perhaps not let ideas and views which you don't agree with offend you so much.

Correct me if I am wrong but you are still attempting to give credence to your notion that 50% of the population of Darwen are 'smackheads.'

The estimated percentage of people who have tried heroin at some stage in their life in this country is 0.6%. You are therefore suggesting that the population of Darwen has a heroin user rate 80 times higher than the national average!

• Backroom

Now that is a crap restaurant. Went with the wife and we thought it was abysmal. The strips and wings are just ones that you would get from Iceland, garbage. I don't like places where me and the wife say that we could have easily made better food ourselves. Same goes for papas in Darwen, rubbish, they get their food from the takeaway next door which isn't brilliant.

Smokies, La Salsa, Ocean Palace and Anaz are the best restaurants in Darwen, in fact best restaurants in Blackburn and Darwen. Mangiamos isn't too bad either in Darwen.

I was with you all the way until you mentioned Mangiamo's! Crap service, crap food! Get to Amalfi, or Angelo's in Egerton for proper Italian.

Im planning on going to Middlesbrough game and staying in Blackburn a couple nights and going Bolton game, can anyone recommend a good hotel in the blackburn area? we usually go straight to Ewood Park then 3/4hour drive home, never been into Blackburn anyone recommend it for the day in-between? or just go Manchester? never been to bolton game, would it be wise to get other transport to bolton then my van?

any help would be great thanks :brfcsmilie:[/quote. I assume that you are an exile like me? A great hotel is the Astley Bank in Darwen. The food is great but on the pricey side. An alternative to eat, particularly if you are not interested in the night life after is the Alghero in Withnell. Easy to find down the Motorway from Darwen towards Preston and first junction sign Chorley. Take first road (Belmont / Bolton) and Alghero is 100 Mtrs on the left. Estimate 15 mins from Astley Bank.

Parking at Bolton is no problem, as Ground is in Horwich on the former British Aerospace site and now basically is now a big shopping centre and car park. The ground is no different.

Hope that is helpful.

really ? Wow ... i'll be honest it must of been a couple of years since we been but it sounds like its gone downhill has it ?? We first went when he was under the big pub on Preston new road (is it ??) And was really impressed

Just ordered both sets of tickets, i was asking whats best place to stay, and really to do on the day in-between, but I'm pretty sure we will be going shopping on the day in-between in manchester to keep her sweet!! (was trying to go liverpool to do beatles tour she's already done it :angry2: ) is there any really good restaurants in and around blackburn? we try to find places that are like BBQ and grills, anyone recommend any good places? we don't really drink so night out isn't on the cards just good restaurants!

There's that place in Ribchester which is a sort of rearranged garden centre. We loved it. Can't think of the name though!

Edit---yes I can, its the Glass House!

I was with you all the way until you mentioned Mangiamo's! Crap service, crap food! Get to Amalfi, or Angelo's in Egerton for proper Italian.

Been going to Mangiamos for years, never had a bad meal, surprised you think it's cr@p Mike.

Cheap and cheerful, does what it says on the tin.

What's going on in Northwich?

Small town with three clubs?

Northwich Victoria is the original club and its owner was declared bankrupt 3-4 years ago. Fhe Vics were demoted that season for financial irregularities. The support were very unhappy with how the club was run etc. and formed a Trust out of which rose 1874 Northwich a 100% supporter owned club.

I got to know about this when I worked with Rovers Trust as I spent a couple of evenings with them. Good bunch of guys.

For the third I guess you mean Witton Albion? Only know about them through their cup exploits.

• Backroom

Been going to Mangiamos for years, never had a bad meal, surprised you think it's cr@p Mike.

Cheap and cheerful, does what it says on the tin.

Prefer the deli on the market, too :P

I've been a few times to Mangiamo's and while I've never had a 'bad' meal as such, they don't do anything particularly tasty imo (and I like most Italian dishes). I've had better meals at Wetherspoons. What put me off last time (about 6 months ago) was the service; demanding we 'hurry up' in telling them our menu choices after just getting to the table after a 30 minute wait.

However, Amalfi, Angelo's, and that market deli (can't for the life of me remember it's name atmo) have all been brilliant every time I've visited. In the deli, dad and I each had a latte, bruscetta w/ pesto, and toasted pannetone. Total bill of £11!

Smokie's is next on my list to try :D

Loving the Darwen-Fest. Getting all tearful and may just have to move back from Northwich now!

Heck, Darwen will have to invest in another horse at this rate.

Checco's at Harwood Bar is still one of the best Italians around, never fails for me

I've been a few times to Mangiamo's and while I've never had a 'bad' meal as such, they don't do anything particularly tasty imo (and I like most Italian dishes). I've had better meals at Wetherspoons. What put me off last time (about 6 months ago) was the service; demanding we 'hurry up' in telling them our menu choices after just getting to the table after a 30 minute wait.

:D

Some would argue after waiting for 30 minutes you should have known what you wanted!

But each to their own I guess, it's nothing special I agree, but not as bad as you make it sound in my opinion.

Liked the Amalfi when I went, good options at reasonable prices and don't knock Wetherspoons, again it's cheap and decent quality.

Archived