BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Forest

For a pretty good explanation of how we played - gegenpressing - in the first half and a reason why we couldn't keep it up

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-vs-liverpool-strength-in-numbers-the-key-deciding-ebb-and-flow-of-jurgan-klopp-s-a6760801.html

I think this is our future style of play, guys.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that Marshall is getting some criticism. Personally thought he played Ok - and wonder whether people's perception of him lacking effort is misplaced because of his general demeanour (e.g. Duff always looked knackered after 5 minutes) - I saw a number of occasions where he was busting a gut to get back into his defensive position. Possibly some of the frustration is that on his day he is without doubt our best and most creative player - but only shows that in patches.

One last point - GB got a lot of stick for playing him at right back and yet his best performances were there.

Shocked at the attendance 12,002! That is shocking. Well, surprising. People waiting for half seasons tickets not bothering with it being on the box, that funny selection who don't attend even though they have season tickets, and the walk ons with it being on telly and a Monday and a pretty poor standard of 2 division football. Still thought it would have been a good 14k.

I was offered a ticket and would have been there but for the fact I had a prior commitment to lead a meeting that I couldn't change. Probably a lot of folk who fall in the same bracket. Haven't organised their lives round fixture lists if they don't have a season ticket so can't always attend even if they want. Once the half sts arrive dates are Al in the diary so won't arrange other things

I think one of Problem with Marshall is that he needs confidence and at the minute he seems be lacking this. I dont know why either.

Plus to me, he always looks like he is injured.

I'd say it is about 12 months since he looked a dangerous player. He was flying before he was put at right back. Now he rarely goes at a defender. Drastic dip in confidence/style.

I haven't seen the game in it's entirety yet and have only seen around 15 mins of the 1st half whilst getting ready for work. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't take the points and apparently dropped off in 2nd half but I was really encouraged by the little I saw. Improved intensity, tempo and crispness of passing. We are a work in progress but the progress is there.

To quote the cliche, 'a game of two halves', I think would some up last nights performance. I thought we looked good value in the first half and should've been in front but we let them back into it in the second.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I do think what we lack at the moment is fitness. Too many times in the last 15 minutes, are we content to sit on our own 18 yard box and invite it. Our two central midfielders stand on the toes of Hanley and Duffy, but this will come and I think the manager knows it.

I have to say, I thought Guthrie wasn't bad. Yes, he looked like he lacked match sharpness, but it pleasing to see a centre midfielder, get his head up and want to play the ball forward instead of sideways.

Back four had another solid game, maybe worth bringing in a new right back in the window but other than that solid.

Koita put himself around, which I think, is what Lambert likes in a front man. He's always had big target men wherever he has been, so I would'nt be surprised if one of those is on his shopping list for January. I have to say, I can see Jordan leaving? I don't think he is a Lambert player? Shocking to think, I know.

Still, unbeaten in his first five games is nothing to grumble at, and with Reading away at the weekend, again there are 3 points we have the ability to grab. We have looked better on the road under Lambert than at Ewood, I think this can continue at the weekend.

I think last night proved the squad is nowhere near good enough and needs major surgery

Lambert has inherited a poor side next season is when we'll kick on

Was very disappointed with the performance against the worst Notts forest side I can remember

Expect us to win at Reading on Sunday.

Lost their last 3, away to Hull on Wednesday and still floundering without a manager.

Our extra 2 days' recovery time will also be key.

Tbf I don't think there is a game that you haven't predicted us to win. Despite also predicting that we would sell Rhodes on 4 separate occasions, including once to Bolton who are about to go bust!! Other predictions include a highly rated youth player leaving for a prem club, the club selling all players, and basically dooooooooom!!

Good first half but poor in second. Disappointing that we can't keep at it after dominating most of first half, it's like we just ran out of ideas and had nowhere to go. Shows the weakness of the squad when we are making changes like that when we should be trying to win the game. Hope Lambert can make some changes in January but in all honesty I think we look like a mid table side this season so we'll probably have to see what he can do come the summer.

1st half was good

2nd half poor.

Defensively we are alot better and thats 3 clean sheets in a row.

Koita played well and under Lambert hopefully he will develop.

Squad lacking quality depth and we need pace in the team.

But its a great start from Lambert and dont think we could get much better.

If we can be within 3 to 6 points off the playoffs place/top 6 come the Transfer window time I would be happy. Then if we can make the 3 quality signings we need then I feel we can get a playoff place.

In Lambert we trust

Which player lost his man to gift Forest a golden opportunity to claim all three points only for Steele to save his blushes?

Which player lost his man to gift Forest a golden opportunity to claim all three points only for Steele to save his blushes?

Yet again you always focus on one thing.

Suggestion you watch the full game, and try to comment on the entire game.

Did you not attend yet again?

• Moderation Lead

Please don't talk in riddles if you know already! :rover:

Yet again you always focus on one thing.

Suggestion you watch the full game, and try to comment on the entire game.

Did you not attend yet again?

It's a ninety minute plus game, that error could have been costly, so who was it please just seeking confirmation that's all chaddy.

• Moderation Lead

That New Order Mill Hill flag at the bottom of the DE Lower looked smart by the way! (Blue Monday- your user name reminded me!) Gary Aspden (Adidas guy from Darwen) posted it on Instagram this week, looked very prominent in the flesh!

I'm no Rovers Fan, but I choose to be encouraged by the first half performance. The good thing is we continue to gain points as we learn.

I also choose patience over frustration.

It still amazes me the cheek that some people have to complain and the ridiculous lack of patience - from adults. 5 games in, 11 points later and we are no longer a side at threat of relegation. We are no longer a side overly reliant of Jordan Rhodes to be a match winner. We are a team who might flirt with the playoffs this season but regardless, we definitely have someone in place putting strong foundations for a much brighter future.

How many points will we be capable of stacking up once Rhodes finds any resemblance of form or Additionally if we add a couple of shrewd signings in Jan? It might not be pretty but that Rovers side rarely looks like conceding these days - could we have honestly said that earlier in the season?

I am as equally patient as I am excited for our future.

It still amazes me the cheek that some people have to complain and the ridiculous lack of patience - from adults. 5 games in, 11 points later and we are no longer a side at threat of relegation. We are no longer a side overly reliant of Jordan Rhodes to be a match winner. We are a team who might flirt with the playoffs this season but regardless, we definitely have someone in place putting strong foundations for a much brighter future.

How many points will we be capable of stacking up once Rhodes finds any resemblance of form or Additionally if we add a couple of shrewd signings in Jan? It might not be pretty but that Rovers side rarely looks like conceding these days - could we have honestly said that earlier in the season?

I am as equally patient as I am excited for our future.

I agree. I had us down as near certs for relegation in August. I don't feel like that now although I'm not complacent at all. We seemed to have stabilised the defensive side of the game, that is always the first building block put in place if you want to be successful. Whatever Henley's shortcomings playing the same goalie and back four can only be a good thing. It's the only way you can have cohesion at the back.

It's obvious we're struggling in the creative side of the game . Akpan and Conway seem to have established themselves in the team. Marshall and Evans maybe not so. We could maybe do with a pacey winger and a centre midfield player who can make the play and score the odd goal. We're predictable up front , therefore easy to defend against. We need some pace from somewhere.

Archived