BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Forest

Because he gives the ball away from time to time (who doesn't at this level), he gets the ire of a certain section of fans.

End of the day, he's often driving forward when the ball is given away, so you have to excuse him that after three years of Williamson and Lowe's crab like play.

I think it's the nature of how he gives it away. Seen him twice now play suicidal balls in our half, but saying that he was very good on Monday.

We all know his strengths are off the ball, he cut out three crosses in the first half on Monday that could easily have led to a goal.

He is certainly a positive at the moment.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the game on Monday - I thought Koita was very good in the air and ran the channels well. He has all the ingredients to be a quality player. However I just get the feeling he is going to be a nearly man, he doesn't seem to really want his place, and not scoring when he really should. Since the start of the season he should have got five or six, yet they just don't go in for him.

I would say probably his position (striker) is number one and number two on Lambert's shopping list. Koita will have to have a really great few matches to avoid falling way down the pecking order.

This posts reminds me of 'me' from several years ago, a compliment indeed Neal!

Posters need to be allowed to take up the middle ground instead of being backed into corners all the time.

Damning with faint praise, more like. ^_^

I think for me Akpan is probably our best central midfielder on current form. He covers a lot of ground both forwards and backwards and I've been impressed so far I have to admit. I must admit I agree on people's expectation levels of midfielders, some barmy comments can be heard around me! (And not just from J-Bizzle's mouth) :rover:

Finally having a proper defensive midfielder (not just a midfield terrier) with some positional sense has made wonder for our defense as a whole. I don't have the statistics on hand, but I imagine our "goals against" column must look remarkably better since Akpan came into the team.

Played very well first half, i think and hope that is the way we are heading and hopefully for 90 minutes. We obviously dropped off in the second half but that will be a combination of Forest reacting to our style of play, Friday night and us only having two in midfield against their three. Lansbury had sussed out how to find space in the second half, played very well.

Think Peter Jackson had fired into the mulled wine early, Koita MOM? Hanley and Duffy (attacking headers aside) were rock solid again.

Getting a bit worrying how Marshall and Rhodes are not firing at all under PL, anything close to decent money for either of them will tempt Lambert i think.

Overall though still positive, we look a solid outfit and are heading in the right direction.

Oh and the Rugby fan who sits near me found his voice again, was shouting "forward" again in the first half. Someone needs to tell Lambert this revolutionary tactic.

Do you sit in the Bburn End lower?

There's a chap who gets angry and shouts that!

This posts reminds me of 'me' from several years ago, a compliment indeed Neal!

Posters need to be allowed to take up the middle ground instead of being backed into corners all the time.

What happened to you GAV? You used to be a good poster 😆😆😆

I quite like Akpan. In stark contrast to previously vilified DMs (who shall remain nameless) he breaks play up nicely, can tackle, can play on the half turn and can pass. He's also a physically imposing figure who is useful in both boxes and is a good leader in there. He'll do for me.

First time I saw Akpan play at Ashton Gate the other week was just how you describe him in that game for me. Was surprised to see him subbed on Monday evening.

I've had my head in my hands at similar incidents at both ends of the pitch. I may have turned to whoever was sat next to me and said " The big dozy bugger " or words to that effect but I'd never abuse a player by shouting out. Nobody plays better for being slagged off. I remember going to a reserve game were Frank Kopel and a spectator on the old Riverside terrace had a slanging match for the whole 45 minutes of one half. Crazy.

Players should never get involved with spectators - even if there's only one man and a dog watching. Kopel was awful so I'm not surprised he got abuse. Man Utd conned us out of £20,000 for him - alot of money then.

Barracking of players isn't confined to Rovers. I remember standing on the Chicken Run at Upton Park circa 1969-70 amongst a load of Cockney "characters". The dog's abuse they gave Harry Redknapp (the player) was incredible.

I quite like Akpan. In stark contrast to previously vilified DMs (who shall remain nameless) he breaks play up nicely, can tackle, can play on the half turn and can pass. He's also a physically imposing figure who is useful in both boxes and is a good leader in there. He'll do for me.

He's an improvement on Willo or Lowe that's for sure. Defensive mids at this level aren't really noted for their passing they tend to just win it or pounce on a loose ball then give it short. He is a bit suspect in this area but all around he's better and more imposing than the other two from what I've seen so yes that position is stronger than it was imo.

He's an improvement on Willo or Lowe that's for sure. Defensive mids at this level aren't really noted for their passing they tend to just win it or pounce on a loose ball then give it short. He is a bit suspect in this area but all around he's better and more imposing than the other two from what I've seen so yes that position is stronger than it was imo.

Akpan looks a potential star to me. If we don't go up this season or next I wouldn't be surprised if we get a big Premier League offer for him.

Akpan looks a potential star to me. If we don't go up this season or next I wouldn't be surprised if we get a big Premier League offer for him.

Agree with jim and LD Rover. I've been quite impressed with Akpan and I think he looks comfortably the pick of our midfielders currently and should only improve. Conversely I'm disappointed with Guthrie, I don't think he's had the hoped for impact at all.

• Moderation Lead

I think Guthrie has shown flashes of what he's capable of, I think the main problem being that he's a bit of a sick note throughout his career to date and has continued in the same vein since he arrived.

I think for me Akpan is probably our best central midfielder on current form. He covers a lot of ground both forwards and backwards and I've been impressed so far I have to admit. I must admit I agree on people's expectation levels of midfielders, some barmy comments can be heard around me! (And not just from J-Bizzle's mouth) :rover:

Only sensible comments would leave these lips Mr Hod. Lest we forget your posts on certain past match threads, glass house and stones comes to mind ;)

Akpan for me is a proper DM- reads second balls, works his arse off and has physicality. He's an improvement on Lowe IMO who's best role is a similar position.

I thought (before Guthrie tired) that they worked really well together first half. One give, get and go- the other put his foot on it and looked up.

• Backroom

I watched the game on Monday - I thought Koita was very good in the air and ran the channels well. He has all the ingredients to be a quality player. However I just get the feeling he is going to be a nearly man, he doesn't seem to really want his place, and not scoring when he really should. Since the start of the season he should have got five or six, yet they just don't go in for him.

I would say probably his position (striker) is number one and number two on Lambert's shopping list. Koita will have to have a really great few matches to avoid falling way down the pecking order.

At the moment he's in the Grabbi or Kalinic mold, just dying for a goal! He seems keen to smash one in from 25 yards, should he work up some space.

At the moment he's in the Grabbi or Kalinic mold, just dying for a goal! He seems keen to smash one in from 25 yards, should he work up some space.

He's the kind of player we want coming on in the 70th minute when the opposition's defence are running on empty but what we want is a link with JR. Guess we've been spoilt with SAS many years back.

Finally having a proper defensive midfielder (not just a midfield terrier) with some positional sense has made wonder for our defense as a whole. I don't have the statistics on hand, but I imagine our "goals against" column must look remarkably better since Akpan came into the team.

Since you brought it up I thought I would dig out the stats from the league games this season to see what they look like, I have been impressed with Akpan since he joined us and the stats more than back up his benefit to the team defensively.

Without Akpan

Minutes: 533

Goals Conceded: 9

We concede a goal on average every 59 minutes without Akpan in the team

With Akpan

Minutes: 1,357

Goals Conceded: 9

We concede a goal on average every 150 minutes with Akpan in the team.

The recent home game against Sheffield Wednesday was the first time we'd conceded two goals in one game whilst Akpan was on the pitch. That has happened on three occassions, Wolves (H), QPR (A), Fulham (A), without him in the side and four if you count the two we conceded away at MK Dons after he was substituted. We are therefore 2.54x more likely to concede a goal when Akpan isn't playing, we all better hope he manages to keep fit then!

• Backroom

Akpan is great, ugly at times but his energy can drive us upfield, a few times against Rotherham he picked it up on the edge of our box and ran it to the halfway line only to find himself without support

Akpan is great, ugly at times but his energy can drive us upfield, a few times against Rotherham he picked it up on the edge of our box and ran it to the halfway line only to find himself without support

That is our number 1 problem, midfield, no one to link up the defence with JR, now that we have stopped the sillies in defence we need to bring JR into the game with some quality in midfield.

Players should never get involved with spectators - even if there's only one man and a dog watching. Kopel was awful so I'm not surprised he got abuse. Man Utd conned us out of £20,000 for him - alot of money then.

Barracking of players isn't confined to Rovers. I remember standing on the Chicken Run at Upton Park circa 1969-70 amongst a load of Cockney "characters". The dog's abuse they gave Harry Redknapp (the player) was incredible.

Frank Kopel was signed by Rovers in the belief he was Francis Burns. Carey watching Utd Reserves told No 4 for sale,team sheet had F Burns,but Kopel was a last minute change. When he turned up to sign both parties agreed to go through with transfer to save embarrasment. His career at Rovers unsurprisingly never took off,however had a long career at Dundee Utd.

Frank Kopel was signed by Rovers in the belief he was Francis Burns. Carey watching Utd Reserves told No 4 for sale,team sheet had F Burns,but Kopel was a last minute change. When he turned up to sign both parties agreed to go through with transfer to save embarrasment. His career at Rovers unsurprisingly never took off,however had a long career at Dundee Utd.

Nice story - not heard it before. United fans couldn't believe we paid £20k. They thought he was hopeless - and he didn't disappoint with us.

Archived