BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Forest

First half was excellent. 2nd half less so and the gap between midfield and strikers appeared whilst Forest managed to push us back. Another point and another clean sheet but goals look hard to come by - needs a little work in january. 4 Points from a friday/monday fixture list and no injuries has to be seen as ok in my book.

Agree there I think our key players, Guthrie and Conway had great first halves, but Guthrie has not even played half a match (in total) since sept so no suprise he started to fade and in all honesty he is our only central midfielder who has a bit of an attacking edge to him.. Forest pretty obviously blocked Conway out of the match in the second half.. was pretty disappointed in Marshal though (more so than Rhodes who barely had a pass sent his way) he seemed tired and slow even towards the end of the first half.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tuned in at 52 mins and swear I didn't see Rhodes touch the ball once. I've never seen a striker do less in a half. Service schmervice, he could at least come short and offer himself now and again to get into the game. Second to every ball.

Looked solid apart from the header Steele turned onto the post, the bloke was totally unmarked.

• Moderation Lead

Good first half, poor second half. Koita should have bagged that header, a wonderful save by Steele to keep that Forest effort out, that I was convinced was in!

5 games under Lambert, 3 wins and 2 draws. There's definitely work to be done, but this is a work in progress.

Another clean sheet but match underlined that unlike last season, this season's squad is not good enough to go up.

Got to hang in there in the next three games, pray nobody between 6th and 11th gets 12 points in their next four fixtures and hope Lambert gets the players he wants in January- early January!

• Backroom

On the Rhodes debate - yes of course there is a lack of service but there's no logical reason for someone to be able to jump 2 feet in the box but only 1 outside of it!

Imagine Lambert had rudy and King to call on, what a missed opportunity last season was!

Overall a much better game compared to last Friday. First half best we've been in a long while. Second half we didn't have the same energy so a point was a fair result. Not disappointed because you can see a lot has been done in a short period since PL came and for long spells we play good football with a desire to win the ball. We are heading in the right direction.

The lack of fitness from some players is so apparent and when several players are knackered after an hour the game has to change. Rhodes and Marshall in particular are ridiculously off the pace and I don't think Lambert will put up with this. Defensively we are looking much better but other areas are falling well short of the standards that Lambert will demand. I think it will be a case of shape up or ship out irrespective of who it is.

The lack of fitness from some players is so apparent and when several players are knackered after an hour the game has to change. Rhodes and Marshall in particular are ridiculously off the pace and I don't think Lambert will put up with this. Defensively we are looking much better but other areas are falling well short of the standards that Lambert will demand. I think it will be a case of shape up or ship out irrespective of who it is.

Chris Taylor certainly didn't look too impressive stood next to the assistant referee whilst waiting to come on tonight.

I'd sell Rhodes on the last few games tbh. No effort at all tonight, even Danny bloody Murphy ran a couple of times when here!

Echo sentiments above, both sides played a good and bad half each. Liked Koita but bloody hell he should've buried that! Duffy MOTM.

Steady on. If we sold every player we have who suffered a lack of consistency in the last 5 seasons, we'd have Alan Irvine upfront right now.

Rhodes seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence, and the shift to Koita next to him will take more than 90 minutes against one team to judge.

I felt Rhodes was often a yard away from where he needed to be, particularly highlighted by Olsson's cross of the night. Jordan lacks pace but not effort IMO, he just needs a goal or two from open play to get him going again.

We shouldn't want to sell any player, look at Hanley- suffered posts of "I'd drive him to turf moor" and now looking excellent. Duffy also defended stoutly and with Conway finding him, surely he's not far off a goal.

Its also worth giving some credit to Forest tonight, who defended well throughout, especially second half. A tough test.

Kosta has got some leap in him, though he did an excellent job but nothing came to fruition as Rhodes was consistently too slow to react, a lot like when he was playing off Gestede the past couple of seasons. Marshall did nothing, Akpan looked good while Conway had a good first half but then disappeared. Forest came for a point and almost nicked all three, but we deserved at least the point we got. Hanley and Duffy playing great at the moment, both full backs tend to concede easy crosses though.

Chris Taylor certainly didn't look too impressive stood next to the assistant referee whilst waiting to come on tonight.

I'm not quite sure what you could glean from the body language of a player waiting to come on, but please enlighten me.

We look much more robust so far under PL, reminds me of when Hughesy first came in. If we can keep grinding out points until January then push on with a few more quality players then we won't be a million miles off the pace.

I think that's the first home league match I've watched live on the box since Cardiff beat us when they had Bellamy etc, whatever is said we are certainly a stronger outfit than back then.

Gives a different perspective than watching live from the BBE that's for sure and man yes the ground does look and sound awful. As for the game I thought we played really well first half, zipped the ball around at tempo and didn't give them a moments rest. Spread they play and used both wings which is good to see, plenty crosses fizzing in but too much on most of them. He'll really need to get a 6.5 target man from somewhere though if we are going that way.

It's hard for any team to keep up that tempo for a full game but from the off 2nd half we were cream crackered and flat. It seems to me that the tactics under Lambo are start strong, go at them first half then sit off a bit 2nd half and be a bit more compact, keep the ball more and look for set pieces. Fair enough if your a goal or two up but a bit frustrating if not but obviously we were leggy so sensible I suppose.

Plenty of commitment, we aren't shy of tackles anymore and I really like what I see of Lambert and his men on the touchline. Probably two points dropped but Forest dug in 2nd half and are a solid team. I think it's more likely we'll paste someone soon than get pasted.

He's still the best finisher in the league with a phenomenal record we wouldn't struggle to get £12m for him.

He's a jewel in the crown though selling him should be a last resort - although the Jewel without the crown isn't as much use.

Tom - you must be joking. Unless you know something I don't. Not many teams can carry a pure goal poacher these days, the game's moved on. If we can get £12 million for him honestly I'd take it. We could rebuild the team at this level with that sort of dosh. We can't build a team around him, we've proved that since Lambert came in.

Good first half, poor 2nd but credit where it's due wee Dougie changed it half time to nullify Conway and that snuffed out our main attacking threat.

Two centre halves were excellent but Henley is still a weak link. Ollsson's storming run first half was a highlight - we need to carry the ball forward more and commit the opposition in my opinion.

Koita was good nuisance value without having the real quality needed that brings me onto my final point - the Rhodes conundrum. Thought at first it was the system but even with a strike partner today he was totally ineffective. We know he lacks the pace and physique to effect the game but there's no excuse for lack of effort. He's got to start helping others to help him, his body language is all wrong, he's far too static and you'd be forgiven for thinking he's sulking. Needs to up his game sharpish for me.

There is no plan B when the service from the wings is blocked off (or Marshall goes into totally disinterested/knackered mode). Where is the cute play in and around the edge of the box? Also there is no pace up front so when the opposition have a period of pressing there is no threat on the break. Alot to do in the January window and I doubt if sufficient suitable players will be identified or available.

1st half was good

2nd half poor.

Defensively we are alot better and thats 3 clean sheets in a row.

Koita played well and under Lambert hopefully he will develop.

Squad lacking quality depth and we need pace in the team.

But its a great start from Lambert and dont think we could get much better.

If we can be within 3 to 6 points off the playoffs place/top 6 come the Transfer window time I would be happy. Then if we can make the 3 quality signings we need then I feel we can get a playoff place.

In Lambert we trust

Archived