BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to feel quite happy we are only restricted to loans.

Why? I don't think the players we are picking up at the moment are representative of those Lambert would seek to sign permanently in the summer.

Lambert knows as well as anybody that a hard working, well organised team will do well in this league, Boro are a fantastic example of this. I think he is bringing in relatively cheap, experienced, hard working steady Eddie types to steady the ship for the remainder of the season with a view to building a team during the summer. I have no problem with that personally. We may not be bringing in headline grabbing names but then neither did Hughes or Allardyce initially, they both built a very tight, hard working unit as a foundation and dropped in attacking players around that core as we went forward.

I am fine with the signings to date at the moment. I would rather see us be careful in January and go with reliable players (due to it be an inflated market in Jan), steady the ship, give Lambert the chance to have a proper look at the players and come the summer get rid of the deadwood, and replace them with quality signings. One thing for sure summer why I tend to find it boring without any football matches I will find it highly interesting to see what Lambert can come up with across the summer.

Hughes or Allardyce initially, they both built a very tight, hard working unit as a foundation and dropped in attacking players around that core as we went forward.

Allerdyce signed diouf initially didn't he? Somebody who could really impact games. Not sure about ward but we certainly need backup for Kilgallon who's injury prone - especially if Duffy is out for a bit.

I think we need a midfielder who gets his head up to partner akpan and a striker- graham would be good foil for rhodes IMO and PLs comments sound like he wants to keep him which is great.

We need talent.

Hardworking, experienced is often just code for not very good.

Like Lambert has said, we need players that improve the starting 11. We have more than enough bang average squad players.

For what its worth

Alan Nixon @reluctantnicko 8m8 minutes ago

Blackburn. Looks like next signing will be a defender. Loan. Short term.

I do not recall Simon Garner being such a waste of space when he was not scoring like Rhodesy.

And take the penalties out of his record. If he had been playing for Hull for the last 2 seasons and we had kept Gestede and King we would have been much more of an all-round pacey team now. Total miscalculation!

Get him sold....we will have forgotten about him in 18 months.

Both Gestede and King wanted to leave and actively sought a move, Rhodes didn't.

The Rhodes bashing on here is astonishing, it really is. No thanks at all for single handedly saving us from League One.

I can see the 'we could get good money' argument, but let's not rubbish someone who has given us some great service and has been one the bright spots in a pretty demoralising few years.

Ward will no doubt be coming in as cover, and we do need it back there to be fair. Always better to have 4 out and out centre halves and with Duffy out injured and Kilgallon not having played all that much this season it makes sense.

I thought Lambert made it fairly clear that he was going to have to prioritise bringing in cover at the back due to Duffy's injury.

Allerdyce signed diouf initially didn't he? Somebody who could really impact games. Not sure about ward but we certainly need backup for Kilgallon who's injury prone - especially if Duffy is out for a bit.

I think we need a midfielder who gets his head up to partner akpan and a striker- graham would be good foil for rhodes IMO and PLs comments sound like he wants to keep him which is great.

Diouf star had waned by the time he came to us, however he was always very highly regarded by Sam due to his opta stats. At the time we had him he was consistently one of the top players for ball retention, pass completion and fouls drawn, right up Sam's street.

We need four centre halves that are capable of doing a job there. The young kid that played last night is too raw to play regularly and Kilgallon seems to get more than his share of injuries. I don't like Spurr in the middle either. We definitely needed a fourth centre half. It's a smart move for me, we're not blowing dosh on a bench warmer but we've got cover.

Could be the guy is another one that has got the right attitude. Lambert's trying to change the loser culture at the club. A bit like Ken Furphy did when he took over a similarly sinking ship in the early 1970's.

We need four centre halves that are capable of doing a job there. The young kid that played last night is too raw to play regularly and Kilgallon seems to get more than his share of injuries. I don't like Spurr in the middle either. We definitely needed a fourth centre half. It's a smart move for me, we're not blowing dosh on a bench warmer but we've got cover.

Could be the guy is another one that has got the right attitude. Lambert's trying to change the loser culture at the club.

The thing is TS, the lad held his own. At his age he will improve, especially if he gets more first team experience under his belt. If we keep on developing players that we are hoping to get playing for the first team regularly we need to give them first team playing time. Look at Jones, Duff and Dunny they came into the first team rough around the edges but developed into good players.

The thing is TS, the lad held his own. At his age he will improve, especially if he gets more first team experience under his belt. If we keep on developing players that we are hoping to get playing for the first team regularly we need to give them first team playing time. Look at Jones, Duff and Dunny they came into the first team rough around the edges but developed into good players.

I'm sure he did last night but can he do it week in week out at this point in his career ? Even Mike England took a while to establish himself in the team and he was the best centre half we've ever had. It could also be that Lambert sees him more as a centre midfield player

Graham, Gibson, McGeady, Ward.. anybody happy to take that, if we can pull it off?

Steele

Marshall Ward Hanley Spurr

Bennett Gibson Conway McGeady

Graham Rhodes

Think Conway has the ability to be a good central midfielder, that can be able to spread the play.

Graham, Gibson, McGeady, Ward.. anybody happy to take that, if we can pull it off?

Steele

Bennett Gibson Conway McGeady

Graham Rhodes

Think Conway has the ability to be a good central midfielder, that can be able to spread the play.

I'd have Akpan in there instead of Conway. Every team needs a water carrier.

I'd have Akpan in there instead of Conway. Every team needs a water carrier.

oh right, completely forgot about Akpan... Maybe this then

Steele

Conway Akpan Gibson McGeady

Graham Rhodes

Then again, i dont see Gibson or McGeady here lol

Diouf produced very little in an attacking sense. 4 goals in 60 matchest. In fact the term ball-retention was introduced to explain his lack of end product. His game was running circles around himself, drawing fouls.

Sunderland Echo article about Graham but talks about Jordi Gomez being surplus to requirements, should be in there... Him and Gibson would sort centre mid.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/latest-safc-news/safc-match-analysis/blackburn-boss-paul-lambert-tight-lipped-over-loan-swoop-for-sunderland-s-danny-graham-1-7683497

Diouf produced very little in an attacking sense. 4 goals in 60 matchest. In fact the term ball-retention was introduced to explain his lack of end product. His game was running circles around himself, drawing fouls.

Deffo a marmite player but I remember him creating by just standing next to the keeper on set pieces.

Really was one of those you hate playing against despite not living up to the fee Liverpool paid. He made a big impact at Bolton too.

Deffo a marmite player but I remember him creating by just standing next to the keeper on set pieces.

Really was one of those you hate playing against despite not living up to the fee Liverpool paid. He made a big impact at Bolton too.

I remember seeing him in the World Cup. I was really impressed. By the time he signed for Liverpool he'd lost a yard of pace that he never re- gained. Should have made a bigger impression than he did.

Archived